Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: new EP/record within a year??
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:06 pm 
Force of Nature

Veddar10 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Said it before, will say it again...I'm perfectly OK with PJ never releasing another album again. Give me an EP with the likes of Better Days and Of The Earth (a 3 to 8 song EP) and I'm a happy camper. Release one every 6 months to 2 years, and no need for anymore proper albums. Maybe it's just me, but give me an EP of 5 amazing songs over an album with 12 songs with 4 being good, 4 being mediocre, and 4 being shit.

I'm totally with you on this. Who knows how it would make their recording schedule? They might be more comfortable just coming into the studio when they knew they had 4-8 solid song ideas and putting just those out. I bet most fans would like it better and it would help them stay fresh to more casual fans with out big droughts between records. I wish PJ would do a Sap and Jar of Flies type thing.

i agree too. this would be a cool idea that maybe they could do over a period of 5 or so years. something different :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:07 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

emulicker wrote:
Veddar10 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Said it before, will say it again...I'm perfectly OK with PJ never releasing another album again. Give me an EP with the likes of Better Days and Of The Earth (a 3 to 8 song EP) and I'm a happy camper. Release one every 6 months to 2 years, and no need for anymore proper albums. Maybe it's just me, but give me an EP of 5 amazing songs over an album with 12 songs with 4 being good, 4 being mediocre, and 4 being shit.

I'm totally with you on this. Who knows how it would make their recording schedule? They might be more comfortable just coming into the studio when they knew they had 4-8 solid song ideas and putting just those out. I bet most fans would like it better and it would help them stay fresh to more casual fans with out big droughts between records. I wish PJ would do a Sap and Jar of Flies type thing.

i agree too. this would be a cool idea that maybe they could do over a period of 5 or so years. something different :thumbsup:

if they tried this out maybe we would have less songs left off because they didn't fit with an entire album concept. An EP would allow them to explore a concept without them feeling like they had to fill an entire album follow a certain path.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:29 pm 
Unthought Known

Veddar10 wrote:
emulicker wrote:
Veddar10 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

if they tried this out maybe we would have less songs left off because they didn't fit with an entire album concept. An EP would allow them to explore a concept without them feeling like they had to fill an entire album follow a certain path.

If we could only meet the band and pitch them this idea...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:44 pm 
Global Moderator

we'd still be complaining about all the songs they didn't put on an EP, and wondering when those lazy bastards would put out an album

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:44 pm 
Global Moderator

except for the people who would equate an ep with a lack of worthwhile material and argue that the band should call it quits.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:07 pm 
The Snowboy

Imma ask if we can stop bumping this.... k thanx.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:07 pm 
Unthought Known

stip wrote:
we'd still be complaining about all the songs they didn't put on an EP, and wondering when those lazy bastards would put out an album

True that. You can't please everyone. I'm just thinking about albums in general...What's the point anymore? I mean sure, they served their purpose for like 50 years or so, but why bother now? The days of one band changing everything (Nirvana for example) are done. Music is too fragmented and all over the place. Add that to boat loads of people illegally downloading, the joke that has become MTV (remember when PJ and Nirvana first came out? MTV used to actually have them play in the studios, and interview the bands) and I don't see how a new band can even make it now. Unless there is a tremendous word of mouth, or some fabricated b.s. band put together by the near deceased record companies.

PJ are, to quote Ed from MSG 2003, "rich mother fuckers"...they have nothing left to prove (already proved they are a touring force, and can produce stellar music). May as well just have some fun, tour, and release cool tunes now & then via digital download or something. Why bother with a full blown album at this point?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:30 pm 
Global Moderator

darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:

True that. You can't please everyone. I'm just thinking about albums in general...What's the point anymore? I mean sure, they served their purpose for like 50 years or so, but why bother now? The days of one band changing everything (Nirvana for example) are done. Music is too fragmented and all over the place. Add that to boat loads of people illegally downloading, the joke that has become MTV (remember when PJ and Nirvana first came out? MTV used to actually have them play in the studios, and interview the bands) and I don't see how a new band can even make it now. Unless there is a tremendous word of mouth, or some fabricated b.s. band put together by the near deceased record companies.

PJ are, to quote Ed from MSG 2003, "rich mother fuckers"...they have nothing left to prove (already proved they are a touring force, and can produce stellar music). May as well just have some fun, tour, and release cool tunes now & then via digital download or something. Why bother with a full blown album at this point?

why assume that just because you have money you somehow have run out of things to say?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:59 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
If we could only meet the band and pitch them this idea...

They really ought to be doing a bi-weekly conference call with their fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:12 pm 
Unthought Known

stip wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:

why assume that just because you have money you somehow have run out of things to say?

Not assuming that...just saying they've proved themselves. They'll be 1st ballot R&R Hall Of Fame, they made it, mission accomplished. I'm sure they'll have plenty to say, but I just don't see a point of a full blown album at this point. Unless they want to be like the Rolling Stones and release a shitty album just as an excuse to tour. Releasing songs now and then, via an EP / Digital Download from the Goods section, would be kinda cool and free them from trying to keep some motif up for an entire album. Release "Of The Earth", and like 3 other songs, then do again next year. In between keep up the mini tours, and mini albums. Why bother with anything full scale anymore? What is the point of a full blown album? Most people only want one or two songs (i.e. the singles) anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:17 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

As long as they don't pull any of this Smashing Pumpkins Teargarden by Kaleidyscope shit, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:04 pm 
Global Moderator

darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:

Not assuming that...just saying they've proved themselves. They'll be 1st ballot R&R Hall Of Fame, they made it, mission accomplished. I'm sure they'll have plenty to say, but I just don't see a point of a full blown album at this point. Unless they want to be like the Rolling Stones and release a shitty album just as an excuse to tour. Releasing songs now and then, via an EP / Digital Download from the Goods section, would be kinda cool and free them from trying to keep some motif up for an entire album. Release "Of The Earth", and like 3 other songs, then do again next year. In between keep up the mini tours, and mini albums. Why bother with anything full scale anymore? What is the point of a full blown album? Most people only want one or two songs (i.e. the singles) anyway.

They have plenty of stuff to say, and they are still writing compositions with an albums length worth of worthwhile material. We all disagree on whether or not all songs are equally good, or good at all, or whether or not they should have included this song or that song, but that would be the case with an EP as well.

When people say they want an EP what they mean is they want 5-6 songs they really really like. You're probably a lot LESS likely to get that on an ep then you are on a full length record, especially given Pearl Jam's frequently less then stellar decision making process regarding album inclusion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:05 pm 
The Snowboy

darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:

'Most people'? How the fuck old are you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:23 pm 
Father Bitch

I'd like it if they released albums, and afterwards released an EP with the songs they liked but didn't "fit" on the record. I wouldn't like it if they only released EPs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 pm 
Got Some

Either they commit to the idea of a studio album being a studio album or they just start releasing tracks as far as i'm concerned.

The only reason i like albums is because of the overall feel they can produce. Pearl Jam has lacked a bit of this since RA in there quest to capture there "live" sound thus producing a "collection of songs".

I just wanna hear Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:38 pm 
Unthought Known

Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:

'Most people'? How the fuck old are you?

:? I don't get what you're getting at bub...What are you trying to ask me there? And more importantly, what's w/ the attitude you're throwing my way?

Last edited by darth_vedder on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:41 pm 
Unthought Known

Jambi wrote:
Either they commit to the idea of a studio album being a studio album or they just start releasing tracks as far as i'm concerned.

That's pretty much what I'm getting at.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:44 pm 
Unthought Known

SY a few years ago released a few EP's that were pretty good, then came back with a full on album. Just my opinion here folks, but I would like for PJ to do something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/SYR-2-Slaapkamers ... 190&sr=1-2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:30 pm 
Global Moderator

Jambi wrote:

The only reason i like albums is because of the overall feel they can produce. Pearl Jam has lacked a bit of this since RA in there quest to capture there "live" sound thus producing a "collection of songs".

I just wanna hear Pearl Jam.

The last few albums are most defintiely not just 'collections of songs'. Whether they are songs you like or not is a different story but these records have a unity to them.

If you mean that they should take advantage of what a studio has to offer they are no more or less likely to do that recording one or two songs as they are ten or twenty. That's a choice on the bands part regarding what they want their albums to sound like

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:31 pm 
Global Moderator

Sandler wrote:
I'd like it if they released albums, and afterwards released an EP with the songs they liked but didn't "fit" on the record. I wouldn't like it if they only released EPs.

I'm with you here--I'm very much in favor of releasing as much music as possible

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam