Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam and drugs.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:45 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

oneproudmonkey wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
chris2414 wrote:
This is my favorite quote of all time that mocks the notion of drugs making one more creative and inspired.

"You know, I went to Haight-Ashbury, expecting it to be this brilliant place, and it was just full of horrible, spotty, dropout kids on drugs. It certainly showed me what was really happening in the drug culture. It wasn’t what was I thought of all these groovy people having spiritual awakenings and being artistic. It was like the Bowery, it was like alcoholism, it was like any addiction. So, at that point, I stopped taking it, actually, the dreaded Lysergic. I had some in a little bottle, it was liquid, and I put it under a microscope, and I looked at it, and it looked like rope, just like old rope, and I thought I’m not going to put that in my brain any more." George Harrison

So true..and whats funny is that those kids at Haight-Ashbury surely bought the hype that because their favorite rock stars and artists were allegedly doing those creative things on LSD, that they were doing something creative and spiritual too...To think that defies common sense and is wishful thinking.

The only thing that has to do with music in actuality is George Harrison said it. Drugged out hippies are drugged out hippies and they're not gonna be magically creative b/c drugs.

Well yeah. I'm saying that a naturally creative person who writes great music and then decides at some point to try LSD a few times over the course of time will all of a sudden have a whole new universe of things to potentially tap into.

I can't be 100% definitive because I'm in the "never tried, don't really plan to camp" but I reckon that experiences like travelling the world and challenging yourself can give you similar inspiration. I feel like I know too many 30-35 y.o. potheads who are still living with their parents to believe that it's drugs alone that makes you creative (and i know you're not saying that) but I wonder, how would it change your perspective if you found out that your favourite song was written while the artist was on drugs (or vice versa). For instance I always assumed that Frank Zappa did copious amounts of drugs because of what I heard coming out the speakers. After I was told (still not sure if it's true) that he was anti-drug I found a new appreciation for his creativity. It might not sound like it but it's something that I've thought about a lot. :)

I think we're more in agreement than we once thought. Traveling around the world is a perfect example of just another one of many things a person can do to broaden their life experience and give them more pools to draw from creatively. Drug use is really no different. With that said though all drugs are different, and I'd say that hallucinagenics are probably the drug that allows for the best creative experiences, because they have the more drastic effect on your senses. And it really can't be said enough that drugs effect people differently, and their are definitely right and wrong ways to handle them. For every artist that has used drugs and gotten creative enhancement from it, there is another artist who has squandered his creativity with a drug filled stuper. A lot of that probably has to do with self control and moderation. For example, I've taken plenty of different hallucinagenic drugs over the course of the last 6 years, but I've never taken hallucinagens more than 5 or 6 times in any one given 12 month period. With that frequency I was definitely able to appreciate the incredible therepeutic qualities of a good trip, but at the same time be able to tell that if I took them any more than I did it would be too much. What your saying about the 30-35 year old potheads you know that are probably pathetic burnouts still living with their parents because they're just that, potheads. The drug itself for those people has become more important than any potential positive impact it can have on your life. And really, when it comes to pot there really isn't any set frequency for what's acceptable and what's excesive, it's all what you can handle personally.

And to your other question on how would it change for me if I found out my favorite song was written while the artist was high? Well, I think the same question can be asked for any influence the artist my have had, you know, "what if the song you love was written while the artist was_________?". It doesn't really change for me, because it doesn't change what I pull out of the song.

The best songs that are influenced by drugs aren't about drugs. Just like if you travel the world with the sole intent of having it impact your art, and all you do after it is right traveling songs. Let it broaden your perspective, don't let it become your perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:49 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Ed mentioned not having much luck writing songs high on pot prior to bee girl in st.john's

Jeff on the other hand had no comment

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:39 am 
Banned from the Pit

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
How do you know the techno music is bad?

From Brian Hiatt's article "The Second Coming of Pearl Jam," Rolling Stone, June 2006:

Eddie vedder is trying to get me drunk. We're in his hotel suite after the Cleveland show. He pops open a Bud with his lighter and hands it to me -- before I'm done with it, he'll try to hand me another one. Vedder has already chugged a bottle of red wine onstage, as usual, so he drinks more slowly now, nursing a Coors.

"I've actually tried to play a few shows without drinking," he says of his wine habit later that night. "But you know how bartenders sneak a drink in here and there, but the busboys can't? I felt more like the busboy -- that I was just working." Vedder used to smoke pot with some frequency, but he hasn't touched it since his daughter's birth. He also had "an Ecstasy phase" at some point and even tried recording some techno. "I was listening to all this stuff on Ecstasy. But I was wondering, 'Are they writing it on Ecstasy?' I decided that the pure way to do it is to actually take Ecstasy, and then write Ecstasy music," he says, laughing. "That didn't work out. But I enjoyed the Ecstasy."

The fact that he openly says he wrote while high but that the music never panned out implies that it wasn't any good.

Does it say anywhere in the article when he was taking the ecstasy? Where am I getting this in the year 2000?

I also thought it was around 2000-2002, but there's no mention of a date in the article.

I wonder why we both think that was the time period. I don't remember hearing about ed and ecstasy in more than 1 article.

Try a few years earlier fellers, No Code ish, not all the music was crap. Ed is VERY clever, loves the Beatles got high outta his tree and gave us No Code i bet if i could ask him No Code is his Sgt Peppers. If you understand hallucinogenic drugs and Eddie Vedder there is no other explanation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:41 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

PilatesBetterman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

From Brian Hiatt's article "The Second Coming of Pearl Jam," Rolling Stone, June 2006:

Eddie vedder is trying to get me drunk. We're in his hotel suite after the Cleveland show. He pops open a Bud with his lighter and hands it to me -- before I'm done with it, he'll try to hand me another one. Vedder has already chugged a bottle of red wine onstage, as usual, so he drinks more slowly now, nursing a Coors.

"I've actually tried to play a few shows without drinking," he says of his wine habit later that night. "But you know how bartenders sneak a drink in here and there, but the busboys can't? I felt more like the busboy -- that I was just working." Vedder used to smoke pot with some frequency, but he hasn't touched it since his daughter's birth. He also had "an Ecstasy phase" at some point and even tried recording some techno. "I was listening to all this stuff on Ecstasy. But I was wondering, 'Are they writing it on Ecstasy?' I decided that the pure way to do it is to actually take Ecstasy, and then write Ecstasy music," he says, laughing. "That didn't work out. But I enjoyed the Ecstasy."

The fact that he openly says he wrote while high but that the music never panned out implies that it wasn't any good.

Does it say anywhere in the article when he was taking the ecstasy? Where am I getting this in the year 2000?

I also thought it was around 2000-2002, but there's no mention of a date in the article.

I wonder why we both think that was the time period. I don't remember hearing about ed and ecstasy in more than 1 article.

Try a few years earlier fellers, No Code ish, not all the music was crap. Ed is VERY clever, loves the Beatles got high outta his tree and gave us No Code i bet if i could ask him No Code is his Sgt Peppers. If you understand hallucinogenic drugs and Eddie Vedder there is no other explanation

I was using his own words from an interview as my evidence.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:47 am 
Banned from the Pit

cutuphalfdead wrote:
PilatesBetterman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I have the article in hand lol. He NEVER says when, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:53 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

PilatesBetterman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
PilatesBetterman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I don't know why I thought it was the Binaural era.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:58 am 
Banned from the Pit

cutuphalfdead wrote:
PilatesBetterman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
PilatesBetterman wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I don't know why I thought it was the Binaural era.

Prob because the article mentions he hasn;t done ecstasy since his daughter was born which would be Binaural ish. But I'm convinced his heaviest usage was No Code. Around Binaural he prob tried it again once or twice and didn;t get back to "Narnia" for lack of a better term so stopped. I'm betting as Vedder got the writer drunk he told him and the writer did a pretty good job putting stuff together from a probably hazy evening with Ed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam