Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: new EP/record within a year??
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:37 pm 
Unthought Known

stip wrote:
Sandler wrote:
I'd like it if they released albums, and afterwards released an EP with the songs they liked but didn't "fit" on the record. I wouldn't like it if they only released EPs.

I'm with you here--I'm very much in favor of releasing as much music as possible

I'm on board with that. It's not that I don't ever want another PJ album, I'd be cool with it if they were releasing EP's every so often, I just don't know that in this day n' age if a full scale album is worth it. There are so many ways to get music now, I was just thinking they can release songs or a collection of songs when said songs are ready. Meaning if they went to the studio tomorrow, laid down 3 tracks, why not master them and put them out there? Why wait for a full album? Release them via EP / Singles, put them in the Goods section, Amazon, Ringtones, whatever and get the music out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:36 pm 
Global Moderator

at the same time albums are more than the sum of their parts, and songs that might not be as compelling as stand alone tracks can take on new lives and new meanings in the context of a full album

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:40 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

But an EP can still be constructed the way an album is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 am 
Unthought Known

it seems to me that fans put a lot more thought into albums than the band does, especially the recent ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:28 am 
Global Moderator

cutuphalfdead wrote:

sure, but I don't think it would be constructed any differently. Do you really think the band sits around and thinks 'we have 6 killer songs, but we have to keep plugging away until we find 6 more songs so we can release an album'?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:38 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

sure, but I don't think it would be constructed any differently. Do you really think the band sits around and thinks 'we have 6 killer songs, but we have to keep plugging away until we find 6 more songs so we can release an album'?

I don't think the band spends a lot of time thinking about their music that deeply at all anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:37 am 
Global Moderator

cutuphalfdead wrote:
stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I don't think the band spends a lot of time thinking about their music that deeply at all anymore.

i'm not sure you're giving them enough credit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:00 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

i'm not sure you're giving them enough credit.

Maybe, I dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:15 am 
The Snowboy

darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
we'd still be complaining about all the songs they didn't put on an EP, and wondering when those lazy bastards would put out an album

True that. You can't please everyone. I'm just thinking about albums in general...What's the point anymore? I mean sure, they served their purpose for like 50 years or so, but why bother now? The days of one band changing everything (Nirvana for example) are done. Music is too fragmented and all over the place. Add that to boat loads of people illegally downloading, the joke that has become MTV (remember when PJ and Nirvana first came out? MTV used to actually have them play in the studios, and interview the bands) and I don't see how a new band can even make it now. Unless there is a tremendous word of mouth, or some fabricated b.s. band put together by the near deceased record companies.

PJ are, to quote Ed from MSG 2003, "rich mother fuckers"...they have nothing left to prove (already proved they are a touring force, and can produce stellar music). May as well just have some fun, tour, and release cool tunes now & then via digital download or something. Why bother with a full blown album at this point?

why assume that just because you have money you somehow have run out of things to say?

Not assuming that...just saying they've proved themselves. They'll be 1st ballot R&R Hall Of Fame, they made it, mission accomplished. I'm sure they'll have plenty to say, but I just don't see a point of a full blown album at this point. Unless they want to be like the Rolling Stones and release a shitty album just as an excuse to tour. Releasing songs now and then, via an EP / Digital Download from the Goods section, would be kinda cool and free them from trying to keep some motif up for an entire album. Release "Of The Earth", and like 3 other songs, then do again next year. In between keep up the mini tours, and mini albums. Why bother with anything full scale anymore? What is the point of a full blown album? Most people only want one or two songs (i.e. the singles) anyway.

'Most people'? How the fuck old are you?

:? I don't get what you're getting at bub...What are you trying to ask me there? And more importantly, what's w/ the attitude you're throwing my way?

Sorry mate... had a really, really bad day yesterday. Ignore me, I'm a bastard. Doesn't really matter what I meant by the post, I was being a dick anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm 
Unthought Known

Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
we'd still be complaining about all the songs they didn't put on an EP, and wondering when those lazy bastards would put out an album

True that. You can't please everyone. I'm just thinking about albums in general...What's the point anymore? I mean sure, they served their purpose for like 50 years or so, but why bother now? The days of one band changing everything (Nirvana for example) are done. Music is too fragmented and all over the place. Add that to boat loads of people illegally downloading, the joke that has become MTV (remember when PJ and Nirvana first came out? MTV used to actually have them play in the studios, and interview the bands) and I don't see how a new band can even make it now. Unless there is a tremendous word of mouth, or some fabricated b.s. band put together by the near deceased record companies.

PJ are, to quote Ed from MSG 2003, "rich mother fuckers"...they have nothing left to prove (already proved they are a touring force, and can produce stellar music). May as well just have some fun, tour, and release cool tunes now & then via digital download or something. Why bother with a full blown album at this point?

why assume that just because you have money you somehow have run out of things to say?

Not assuming that...just saying they've proved themselves. They'll be 1st ballot R&R Hall Of Fame, they made it, mission accomplished. I'm sure they'll have plenty to say, but I just don't see a point of a full blown album at this point. Unless they want to be like the Rolling Stones and release a shitty album just as an excuse to tour. Releasing songs now and then, via an EP / Digital Download from the Goods section, would be kinda cool and free them from trying to keep some motif up for an entire album. Release "Of The Earth", and like 3 other songs, then do again next year. In between keep up the mini tours, and mini albums. Why bother with anything full scale anymore? What is the point of a full blown album? Most people only want one or two songs (i.e. the singles) anyway.

:? I don't get what you're getting at bub...What are you trying to ask me there? And more importantly, what's w/ the attitude you're throwing my way?

Sorry mate... had a really, really bad day yesterday. Ignore me, I'm a bastard. Doesn't really matter what I meant by the post, I was being a dick anyway.

No worries at all man. Something must have been in the air, b/c I had a bad day too and lashed out at some folks in GD. I was trying to think of what you were pissed about me saying "most people", and all I meant by that is the casual fan. We here, the PJ nerds, aren't most people. I was reckoning that "most people", meaning not us here, just want something like "Just Breathe" and "The Fixer", and don't really care about a full fledged album. With that, I was trying to tie it into my argument for the band to just release some EPs and/or songs as they make them, and not full on albums.

Last edited by darth_vedder on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:56 pm 
AnalLog

i don't know what your opinion is of NIN, but pearl jam could follow that lead and just give their music away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:22 pm 
AnalLog

OMG! THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING!!!

wow! sweet cover art!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:48 pm 
Supersonic

How very Zappa.

You know Neil has a lot of albums that are really just a step beyond being mixtapes of different sessions and leftovers, or where one entire side is devoted to older recordings. Sometimes those are among his messiest albums, but they're rarely among his least enjoyable. We probably coulda had one or two additional Pearl Jam albums this decade. :shake:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:56 pm 
Unthought Known

EllisEamos wrote:
OMG! THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING!!!

wow! sweet cover art!

I knew PJ would finally come around and listen to the fans. It's about time they've realized we're smarter than them!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:11 pm 
Got Some

darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
Sandler wrote:
I'd like it if they released albums, and afterwards released an EP with the songs they liked but didn't "fit" on the record. I wouldn't like it if they only released EPs.

I'm with you here--I'm very much in favor of releasing as much music as possible

I'm on board with that. It's not that I don't ever want another PJ album, I'd be cool with it if they were releasing EP's every so often, I just don't know that in this day n' age if a full scale album is worth it. There are so many ways to get music now, I was just thinking they can release songs or a collection of songs when said songs are ready. Meaning if they went to the studio tomorrow, laid down 3 tracks, why not master them and put them out there? Why wait for a full album? Release them via EP / Singles, put them in the Goods section, Amazon, Ringtones, whatever and get the music out there.

I think part of why this is unlikely to happen has to do with the way the band works these days. They spend a lot of time apart, then come together to tour or to work on an album, at which point they are all bringing song ideas with them.

It's not that they could work on new material while they're out on the road, but I don't think they want to.

But I would be totally in support of them releasing EPs of the material that they recorded but didn't make an album for whatever reason, rather than waiting 10 years to do another Lost Dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:13 pm 
The Snowboy

darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:

No worries at all man. Something must have been in the air, b/c I had a bad day too and lashed out at some folks in GD. I was trying to think of what you were pissed about me saying "most people", and all I meant by that is the casual fan. We here, the PJ nerds, aren't most people. I was reckoning that "most people", meaning not us here, just want something like "Just Breathe" and "The Fixer", and don't really care about a full fledged album. With that, I was trying to tie it into my argument for the band to just release some EPs and/or songs as they make them, and not full on albums.

Yep, fair points.

I'm not really bothered. I'm all for shorter time between releases, but I wouldn't want anything less than EPs. I wanna be able to have cover art, flick through liner notes, and have some kind of 'concept' unifying the tracks. I think an album's a work of art and I'd hate to lose that completely. I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly in any band just trotting out singles. It'd feel as if they'd just jumped ship.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:48 pm 
Global Moderator

Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:

Yep, fair points.

I'm not really bothered. I'm all for shorter time between releases, but I wouldn't want anything less than EPs. I wanna be able to have cover art, flick through liner notes, and have some kind of 'concept' unifying the tracks. I think an album's a work of art and I'd hate to lose that completely. I'd probably lose interest pretty quickly in any band just trotting out singles. It'd feel as if they'd just jumped ship.

agreed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:57 pm 
Coast to Coast

If post-Binaural, the band had released an EP with the following tracklisting

1- Fatal
2- Sad
3- In the Moonlight
4- Education

we'd all be like :shock: :shock: :o :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:12 pm 
Unthought Known

theplatypus wrote:

1- Fatal
2- Sad
3- In the Moonlight
4- Education

Yup. Those are 4 top notch songs. In this fellas opinion, all should have been included on Binaural, but there is a whole other thread about that...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:14 pm 
The Snowboy

theplatypus wrote:

1- Fatal
2- Sad
3- In the Moonlight
4- Education

That'd be a classic EP, right there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam