Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oracle Appreciation Event
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 am 
Global Moderator

and yes, PJ would probably not have played this show in 95, but that was also a different era, animated by a different sense of what is politically possible, and it was also in the middle of (or coming down from) a really exciting Ticketmaster boycott.

I have strong anti-wall street politics. Wells Fargo owns my mortgage. I am concerned about the political influence of agri business but still probably have food traced back to Monsanto in my kitchen.

If there was currently an active boycott against Oracle for something heinous that they did then this show would be terrible. If playing this gig actively undermines some other specific stand they are involved in that would also be different. If it undermines their 'if we don't play this show we'd be watching a movie on Netflix that night' plans I find myself having a hard time caring.

You change the world by supporting organizations that are actively trying to change the rules. That's what they do. The rest of this complaining is only slightly more sophisticated than someone rebelling by buying clothes at hot topic.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 am 
On the bright side

I'm sure someone has already said this, but I'm not reading through 7 pages to find it. I'm fine with it as long as another awful Fixer "video" doesn't come out because of the event.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:09 am 
Supersonic

SuperNintendoChalmers wrote:

Guys, they're not Fugazi. Get over it.

There are plenty of artists out there who don't hardline it that way, but still manage to match their espoused values to the credibility of their actions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:14 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
what's the difference between them playing this event and playing Citifield or 3 com stadium or anything else?
I'm going to guess you've never been to this type of event. From a band point of view the only reason to play this gig is money. You can't even say you're trying to play to a new crowd or trying to expand your audience. Literally 90% of the people there won't give a fuck that it's Pearl Jam on stage. The people attending go primarily for the other parts of the event, mainly the free food and booze, carnival rides and to network. I think the singer from Counting Crows got it right when he came out stumbling drunk.

I'm happy PJ's playing this. Once I tell our rep that I like the band there's a real good chance I'll get a backstage pass that includes a meet and greet with the band. A little fanboy-ish but hell I used to love the band and they have better booze backstage.

Odds of this being a released bootleg?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:15 am 
Master of Meh

tyler wrote:

lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:15 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

tyler wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 am 
AnalLog

stip w some pretty terrible analogies

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I am going to bust out laughing when Eddie gives his thank to Larry Ellison and Oracle. Every band has, even Petty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 am 
Unthought Known

It's unsettling because of Eddie's incessant rants about corporations and profit-driven businesses. He has bashed Bill Gates (one of the most charitable individuals in the history of the 1%) yet plays for uber-douche Larry Ellison? It screams hypocrisy and lines up more with that Rolling stone article about "the making of Eddie Vedder" far more than their charitable contributions try to convince us of the opposite. I have no issue with them playing purely for money, they are free to do what they want, and if this keeps them from charging U2 level tickets prices even better, but don't ply your fans with anti-corporate monopolist rhetoric and then go and do something like this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 am 
Global Moderator

tyler wrote:
stip wrote:
what's the difference between them playing this event and playing Citifield or 3 com stadium or anything else?
I'm going to guess you've never been to this type of event. From a band point of view the only reason to play this gig is money.

that is a pretty good guess.

My points are

A: so what?
B: This is hypocrisy only by a very very superficial definition of hypocrisy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 am 
Master of Meh

broken iris wrote:
It's unsettling because of Eddie's incessant rants about corporations and profit-driven businesses. He has bashed Bill Gates (one of the most charitable individuals in the history of the 1%) yet plays for uber-douche Larry Ellison? It screams hypocrisy and lines up more with that Rolling stone article about "the making of Eddie Vedder" far more than their charitable contributions try to convince us of the opposite. I have no issue with them playing purely for money, they are free to do what they want, and if this keeps them from charging U2 level tickets prices even better, but don't ply your fans with anti-corporate monopolist rhetoric and then go and do something like this.

I'm pretty sure Ed's dialled WAY back on that kind of chatter in the last few years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:30 am 
Global Moderator

broken iris wrote:

The opposition to corporations comes from the distorting influence that they have over our economy, our politics, and our culture. But they are pervasive. You can oppose that without having to become some kind of luddite monk living in the wilderness. Nor does being anti-corporate mean you hate money. The moment of tension comes when you do things for money that cause you to alter or abandon fundamental principles. And there's nothing at stake here other than a meaningless private gig that is probably a nice payday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:31 am 
Global Moderator

spenno wrote:
broken iris wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ed's dialled WAY back on that kind of chatter in the last few years.

Plus, post Ticketmaster, those rants were always pretty stupid anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:34 am 
a joke

stip wrote:
tyler wrote:
stip wrote:
I'm going to guess you've never been to this type of event. From a band point of view the only reason to play this gig is money.

My points are

A show supported by an corporation on a superficial level (ie a sponser) is entirely different than a show played entirely for/because of a corporation.

Playing in CitiField as a means to the end of playing for a group of your fans is not anywhere near the same thing as playing a gig for a corporation audience that may include some fans.

You know how sometimes there is complaints that "season ticket holders" have the first 5 rows at some venues?? The people there have some interest in the band, but ultimately there as more of an "the entertainment for the evening" event. This is an entire show devoted to the equivalent of that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:37 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
tyler wrote:
stip wrote:

My points are

I haven't said they're hypocrites. I'm happy they're playing this. But it has all the integrity of the whore who says "but I love sex".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:37 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Skitch Patterson wrote:
stip wrote:
tyler wrote:
stip wrote:

My points are

A show supported by an corporation on a superficial level (ie a sponser) is entirely different than a show played entirely for/because of a corporation.

Playing in CitiField as a means to the end of playing for a group of your fans is not anywhere near the same thing as playing a gig for a corporation audience that may include some fans.

You know how sometimes there is complaints that "season ticket holders" have the first 5 rows at some venues?? The people there have some interest in the band, but ultimately there as more of an "the entertainment for the evening" event. This is an entire show devoted to the equivalent of that.

They yelled at Doug Railroad. How are they going to treat these douchebags?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 am 
alot of $$$

62strat wrote:
and they just havent done anything really COOL. in a long time. short tours. Shit ton of east coast shows. Shit ton of festivals. Tour over seas. Its been the same for far too long now. Do something different. Shake things up a bit. tis getting boring and predictable. Be cool.

IS IT THAT HARD TO MAKE US LOOK COOL?!

you should also add "make good music" to your list above.

also, i just found this thread.

and i would like to say.

LOL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:39 am 
a joke

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

By ignoring it during the show, and gladly shaking hands with the 1% over high end scotch after it.

Red Mosquito, my libido

given2trade wrote:
62strat wrote:
and they just havent done anything really COOL. in a long time. short tours. Shit ton of east coast shows. Shit ton of festivals. Tour over seas. Its been the same for far too long now. Do something different. Shake things up a bit. tis getting boring and predictable. Be cool.

IS IT THAT HARD TO MAKE US LOOK COOL?!

you should also add "make good music" to your list above.

also, i just found this thread.

and i would like to say.

LOL

I've been waiting for you.

Red Mosquito, my libido

Skitch Patterson wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

By ignoring it during the show, and gladly shaking hands with the 1% over high end scotch after it.

Aw huh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 45  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam