Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:16 pm 
Got Some

I really liked the 00 bootlegs. The shock of being able to buy the UK show I was at was unbelievable. The 03 boots seemed an improvement but not seeing a show tainted things. 05 I lost interest, partly as I never saw a disc. I now understand they were mp3 only (?). I was also getting pretty pee'd off about the lack of a tour. 06 hasn't helped, but that is a different story....

Can somebody give me the lowdown. Were there any CDs for '05, will there be any for '06?

If not then I say lets have a best of tour at least!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:32 pm 
Global Moderator

lipidicman wrote:
I really liked the 00 bootlegs. The shock of being able to buy the UK show I was at was unbelievable. The 03 boots seemed an improvement but not seeing a show tainted things. 05 I lost interest, partly as I never saw a disc. I now understand they were mp3 only (?). I was also getting pretty pee'd off about the lack of a tour. 06 hasn't helped, but that is a different story....

Can somebody give me the lowdown. Were there any CDs for '05, will there be any for '06?

If not then I say lets have a best of tour at least!

no cds in 05, and as of now none planned for 06. Maybe they'll release a few of their favorites.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject: Clarify Official Bootleg trading rules for me please?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:33 am 
Got Some

Apologies in advance as this has probably been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it.

When I was buying the 2000 boots I understood it was OK with the band to trade them (was I wrong?) and they were certainly being used as audio on DVDs and VCDs etc. So I could buy a few discs and trade with others for more.

Now it seems I must pay for a download so I can make a CDR. So now I dont have a packaged CD and I cannot trade for other downloads whilst they are still for sale? I may have read this at the Message Pit (only whilst RM was down you understand), so is this the rule here too?

So my question is have I misunderstood the new protocol or the old one? They dont seem to be consistent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:04 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

I think of Lo2L as a sampler of better things to come. The official bootlegs are fucking great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:50 am 
Stone's Bitch

I don't understand why everyone is in love with the way the '05 boots sounded. I thought they were terrible sounding for the most part. A lot of people mention that they love the way George '05 is mixed, but it sounds terrible to me, whereas MSG I & II '03 and the new boots sound a hell of a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:43 pm 
Global Moderator

Education wrote:
I don't understand why everyone is in love with the way the '05 boots sounded. I thought they were terrible sounding for the most part. A lot of people mention that they love the way George '05 is mixed, but it sounds terrible to me, whereas MSG I & II '03 and the new boots sound a hell of a lot better.

The boots sounded better in 03. The BAND sounded better in 05.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:12 pm 
Stone's Bitch

stip wrote:
Education wrote:

I agree, but some people see it as the boots actually sounding better in 2005 than any other time, which I can't hear.

Post subject: Re: Clarify Official Bootleg trading rules for me please?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:55 pm 
Got Some

lipidicman wrote:
Apologies in advance as this has probably been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it.

When I was buying the 2000 boots I understood it was OK with the band to trade them (was I wrong?) and they were certainly being used as audio on DVDs and VCDs etc. So I could buy a few discs and trade with others for more.

Now it seems I must pay for a download so I can make a CDR. So now I dont have a packaged CD and I cannot trade for other downloads whilst they are still for sale? I may have read this at the Message Pit (only whilst RM was down you understand), so is this the rule here too?

So my question is have I misunderstood the new protocol or the old one? They dont seem to be consistent.

The idea is that once the discs/show is out of print, PJ is fine with you trading it. So the 2000 and 2003 shows, which are all unavilable commercially now, are fair game for trade. However, the 2005/6 shows are still for sale so trading them could adversely affect sales. So, no trading of 2005/6 shows until they're taken down from the Basecamp site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:57 pm 
Got Some

Education wrote:
stip wrote:
Education wrote:

I agree, but some people see it as the boots actually sounding better in 2005 than any other time, which I can't hear.

I don't see that, either, but it's hard to tell really. I can put on an 03 boot in my car stereo or at home and crank it and it sounds great. Can't do that with a 192kb mp3 from 05.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:04 pm 
Got Some

mray10 wrote:
Education wrote:
stip wrote:
Education wrote:

I don't see that, either, but it's hard to tell really. I can put on an 03 boot in my car stereo or at home and crank it and it sounds great. Can't do that with a 192kb mp3 from 05.

Why? What happens when you crank an 05 boot? I have done the same thing and the 05 boots sound great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:24 pm 
Stone's Bitch

A thing that I did to define my favorite bootleg era was to play Red Mosquito from Philadelphia 2000, Red Mosquito from the second MSG show in 2003, and then Red Mosquito from Calgary 2005, and then again Red Mosquito from Albany 2006.

Of course the bootlegs for me easily ranked:

The problem with the 2005 bootlegs for me is that they sound much too far on the high end of the scale. So, naturally something that sounds tinny isn't going to do it when you're out in your car cranking it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:37 pm 
Stone's Bitch

warehouse wrote:
i want full shows. i vote for official boots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:40 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I prefer the official boots to LO2L. But I'd really like to see another Touring Band-type DVD Comp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:24 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

Too Big a Man Too Say wrote:
Definetly official bootlegs, especially if they release hard copies again.

Agreed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:32 pm 
Johnny Guitar

mray10 wrote:
Education wrote:
stip wrote:
Education wrote:

I got the AUD sources for the 05 shows I was at (and a couple others) .. they sound great when you crank them ... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:20 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I saw mention of comps from some of the other tours. Are those available somewhere?

I've seen the GreenHabit comp out there, but I'd prefer to stay away from AUD sources if at all possible.... and I'm also close to finishing the first leg of the 2000 shows (which is about 4 gigs), so I'm not looking to DL 4 gigs of anything else right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:23 pm 
Global Moderator

olwiggum wrote:
I saw mention of comps from some of the other tours. Are those available somewhere?

I've seen the GreenHabit comp out there, but I'd prefer to stay away from AUD sources if at all possible.... and I'm also close to finishing the first leg of the 2000 shows (which is about 4 gigs), so I'm not looking to DL 4 gigs of anything else right now.

Lowlight79 has put out a first rate 03 collection that is worth finding. Is that being torrented anywhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:42 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

damn LO2L is so damn awesome, and it sounds 1000000X better than the bootlegs, but maybe that has something to do with Mike's guitar, stone's guitar, eddie's guitar, eddie's voice, and matt's drums all sounding superb in 98. In my opinion the sound quality of the live recordings has been on a steady decrease. although I've only heard toronto 1 from 2006 so far, so I'll wait to hear more before I judge them.

in response to your post, sure, I'd love to see a compilation for this tour rather than all official bootlegs. I can't afford to buy all of them so I am not able to get my hands on the best versions of all the songs, or any rare songs that I want such as rats or satans bed. and if i had to guess i think it's safe to say that Life Wasted, WWS, Severed Hand, Marker, Evolution, Evenflow, Corduroy, Betterman, Alive, and Jeremy will all be played at over 90% of the shows which makes the bootlegs really repetitive.

however I do love the fact that fans can buy a great sounding copy of any shows they attend, so no, I don't wanna see bootlegs go away for this reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:02 pm 
Got Some

lejarmap138 wrote:
I prefer the official boots to LO2L. But I'd really like to see another Touring Band-type DVD Comp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:06 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Full shows by a landslide. I never listen to LO2L or any other comp for that matter.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam