Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Vote
5 Stars: A Lobster 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
4 Stars: A Crab 19%  19%  [ 17 ]
3 Stars: A Prawn 38%  38%  [ 33 ]
2 Stars: A Shrimp 23%  23%  [ 20 ]
1 Star: A Barnacle 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
0 Stars: Sea Lice 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 86
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I don't see how a song about evolution can be counted as one of PJ's fun songs. If that's true,how morbidly depressing. The music called for lyrics that were fun in the vein of Gremmie Out of Control or Don't Gimme No Lip. Not a discussion of how evoution has lead to a need to surf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:31 pm 
AnalLog

tyler wrote:
I don't see how a song about evolution can be counted as one of PJ's fun songs. If that's true,how morbidly depressing. The music called for lyrics that were fun in the vein of Gremmie Out of Control or Don't Gimme No Lip. Not a discussion of how evoution has lead to a need to surf.

maybe its you who is not fun? also, its more like the music/vocals are fun, not specifically the subject matter. but still, surfing is fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:32 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

the song isnt specifically about evolution in the way that DTE is. Its just about how he feels connected to the earth and a deeper meaning of it all, including himself, while he is surgfing. youve never felt that way on top of amountain after a long hike? Thats fun. Its a playful and fun way of looking atit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:50 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

warehouse wrote:
tyler wrote:

maybe its you who is not fun? also, its more like the music/vocals are fun, not specifically the subject matter. but still, surfing is fun
You could be right about me, but I doubt it. I agree that both the music and vocals come across as fun, that's why it's all the more disappointing that the lyrics aren't. Even trying to appreciate the words from Strat62's perspective I still think they fall flat, but it's just my opinion and I've been told I'm full of shit before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:53 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

I gave this one star. I think it's horrible, and that chorus belongs on a third rate Green Day record. I'd rather listen to Evacuation.

Proud member of the Copenhagen Fap Crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:59 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tyler wrote:
warehouse wrote:
tyler wrote:

You could be right about me, but I doubt it. I agree that both the music and vocals come across as fun, that's why it's all the more disappointing that the lyrics aren't. Even trying to appreciate the words from Strat62's perspective I still think they fall flat, but it's just my opinion and I've been told I'm full of shit before.

I don't think its the content that's the fun part necessarily although there are many who would find it fun, it's the rhythm and meter of the verses and chorus. They are easy to sing along with, and they are easy to dance to. It's not my favorite song on the album, but when my kids and their friends are listening to this album, this is one of the first songs that they go to, right after WWS.

Think of it as a hair metal song substituting crustaceans for the lingerie wearing babes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:09 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

SLH916 wrote:
tyler wrote:
warehouse wrote:
tyler wrote:

I don't think its the content that's the fun part necessarily although there are many who would find it fun, it's the rhythm and meter of the verses and chorus. They are easy to sing along with, and they are easy to dance to. It's not my favorite song on the album, but when my kids and their friends are listening to this album, this is one of the first songs that they go to, right after WWS.

Think of it as a hair metal song substituting crustaceans for the lingerie wearing babes.
Why would any guy ever want to substitute lingerie wearing babes with crustaceans? Ed just doesn't do happy well, which is weird because he seems to do it well as a person. I'd like the song better if it were just the chorus being sung. I think it's somewhat cool that it's going on animtaed movie soundtrack. Just telling that most of the artists on the soundtrack are rap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:10 pm 
Force of Nature

my least favorite song on S/T
music is pretty good, but i strongly dislike the lyrics/vocals

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:16 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tyler wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
tyler wrote:
warehouse wrote:
tyler wrote:

Why would any guy ever want to substitute lingerie wearing babes with crustaceans? Ed just doesn't do happy well, which is weird because he seems to do it well as a person. I'd like the song better if it were just the chorus being sung. I think it's somewhat cool that it's going on animtaed movie soundtrack. Just telling that most of the artists on the soundtrack are rap.

tyler,

Can we go out to lunch sometime? It seems that we have a lot of things to discuss.

It's true that Ed is a guy, but one interviewer from the Avocado tour described Ed as seeming more like a "globetrotting Hobbit than a rock star." I have a feeling that he wouldn't quite fit in with the guys from Motley Crue.

Last edited by SLH916 on Thu May 24, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:17 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

thank god for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:22 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Lunch, sure. I'm in Nashville in July if you can make it. Any time on the west coast of Canada too. I'll take you surfing, real surfing, you'll need a full body wet suit. We'll crank some Crue and Jack Johnson on the drive, and save DLR era Van Halen for the post-surf drink up. Bring your dancing shoes. PJ can be the dinner music while we eat overlooking the ocean taking in another sunset. (You east coast people have no idea what you're missing)

Ed's not the guy he was when Ten came out. He's comfortable with his place in life, he's married a model, hangs out with stars, appears on shows like Iconoclast. He's no hobbit any more, that's for sure. I never knew Ed had any sense of humour until I saw PJ live. Ed can come acroos as a little morose on record at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:31 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tyler wrote:
Lunch, sure. I'm in Nashville in July if you can make it. Any time on the west coast of Canada too. I'll take you surfing, real surfing, you'll need a full body wet suit. We'll crank some Crue and Jack Johnson on the drive, and save DLR era Van Halen for the post-surf drink up. Bring your dancing shoes. PJ can be the dinner music while we eat overlooking the ocean taking in another sunset. (You east coast people have no idea what you're missing)

Ed's not the guy he was when Ten came out. He's comfortable with his place in life, he's married a model, hangs out with stars, appears on shows like Iconoclast. He's no hobbit any more, that's for sure. I never knew Ed had any sense of humour until I saw PJ live. Ed can come acroos as a little morose on record at times.

I'm tempted to take you up on the surfing and the dancing. I grew up in San Francisco. I don't know how to surf, but I spent a lot of time on the Santa Cruz beach and boardwalk, and I'm used to really cold water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:32 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

WHy do pearl jam fans knock eddie for marrying a super model?

Is he only suppose to marry ugly chicks? is he not cool now cause he has a hot woman?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:33 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

pearljamfan80 wrote:
I was at the premier of this song live. Studio version I'd give it 3 stars, but the live version whoops ass. Bumping it up to the 4 star range solely based on the live version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:39 pm 
Force of Nature

BadMusic wrote:
this song might have the best lyrics off the whole record

Got me a big wave, ride me a big wave, got me a big wave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:43 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Brain O' JD wrote:
BadMusic wrote:
this song might have the best lyrics off the whole record

ohhhhhh ohoh im still alive, hey yea yea yea
ohh oh oh ohim still alive, yea yea yoh oh oh
i i i iiiii ammmm still alive, yea yea yea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

62strat wrote:
I sure wasn't knocking him, merely pointing at that he's changed alot as a person. 17 years ago he would have been uncomfortable hanging out with a model, or getting past the shiny facade to find the person inside. Or at least this is who Ed had us believe him to be then. Besides, it's all in good fun pointing out the hypocrisy (or personal growth) in writing Satan's Bed then marrying a model. All being pretty does is get you the first date and maybe a second if the first date is inconclusive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:48 pm 
Team Binaural

stip wrote:
Ahhh Big Wave

This should be fun to watch

The live versions of this song really helped it. It is a nice addition to the 'fun' side of the pearl jam catalgoue and has great energy when they do it live (and even on the record). I'd much prefer this over a song like leatherman any day of the week

The problem is that this song is undoubtadly a b-side. It has no real place on Avocado and messes up what would have been a really nice transition from unemployable to gone. The brain trust that tracked binaural and left down and undone off of riot act rears its ugly head again

the song gets 3 stars. The crappy placement bumps it down to two but the live versions moves it back up to 3. What an exciting journey.

The End.

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:49 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

tyler wrote:
62strat wrote:
I sure wasn't knocking him, merely pointing at that he's changed alot as a person. 17 years ago he would have been uncomfortable hanging out with a model, or getting past the shiny facade to find the person inside. Or at least this is who Ed had us believe him to be then. Besides, it's all in good fun pointing out the hypocrisy (or personal growth) in writing Satan's Bed then marrying a model. All being pretty does is get you the first date and maybe a second if the first date is inconclusive.

right on.

id hit it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:15 pm 
Global Moderator

dissident27 wrote:
I love PJ's throwaway songs: Whipping, Habit, Lukin, Brain of J, MFC, Green Disease, U ect., and this song is no exception. Along with Unemployable and Parachutes, this was one of the songs from the new album I really liked instantly. I do agree that sequencing-wise, putting it between Unemployable and Gone was a bad decision. Still, I think the song is really fun and I like it.

I'm kind of suprised by what you include as a throw away song. Except for U and Lukin those all seem like full realized efforts to me

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam