Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oracle Appreciation Event
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:34 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Oracle isn't indie anything. They're the third most lucrative software maker in the world.

it was a joke.

Oh. I bet KurtLeon got it.

Of course I did.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Oracle isn't indie anything. They're the third most lucrative software maker in the world.

it was a joke.

Oh. I bet KurtLeon got it.

He´s laughing so hard he can´t type.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Giddy up. I'm at this convention every year. The crowd should piss off Pearl Jam though. Of the 15,000 or so people, maybe a 1/10th of them will be into the band. Lots of talking and drinking taking place instead. I will get a kick if they play WMA to this crowd. As a one off show for Pearl Jam, I expect it to be a below par performance with the lack of practice showing. Can't be any worse than Tom Petty was there a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:45 pm 
AnalLog

well, if tom petty did it its probably fine. false alarm, thanks tyler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:49 pm 
Global Moderator

now they can't put that awesome song where they badmouth Oracle on their next album. I'm so tired of them compromising their art like this.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:49 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

warehouse wrote:
I meant from a performance point of view, Petty sucked when he played it. Same for Roger Daltrey.

It's sort of sad seeing a band you love or used to love play a big corporate event. Most people go for the free booze and food, to network and just plain unwind at the end of a conference. Seeing a band you love as just background music is saddening. I wonder if that level of indifference makes the band feel like they're back in their bar days, except with a big ass pay check.

Last edited by tyler on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:50 pm 
Banned from the Pit

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I'm not yelling sell out. It doesn't change my enjoyment of the music. It's just really lame. Pearl Jam used to be a band you could get behind for more than just the songs. Now they're just like everyone else.

Yes, I agree. I used to get so pumped up explaining to people how independent this band WAS. But, oh well. I do still enjoy their music more than anyone elses and I know their getting old, but damn. I think sometimes their music sounded so good because we knew who it was coming from and now I just dont know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:52 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

gjh wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I'm not yelling sell out. It doesn't change my enjoyment of the music. It's just really lame. Pearl Jam used to be a band you could get behind for more than just the songs. Now they're just like everyone else.

Yes, I agree. I used to get so pumped up explaining to people how independent this band WAS. But, oh well. I do still enjoy their music more than anyone elses and I know their getting old, but damn. I think sometimes their music sounded so good because we knew who it was coming from and now I just dont know.

Well to be fair, the music pre-Riot Act sounded so good because it was really good music.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:54 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
gjh wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Well to be fair, the music pre-Riot Act sounded so good because it was really good music.

And why the music after Riot Act sounds good?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:57 pm 
AnalLog

gjh wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

pearl jam wasnt independent until 2006

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:58 pm 
AnalLog

tyler wrote:
warehouse wrote:
I meant from a performance point of view, Petty sucked when he played it. Same for Roger Daltrey.

It's sort of sad seeing a band you love or used to love play a big corporate event. Most people go for the free booze and food, to network and just plain unwind at the end of a conference. Seeing a band you love as just background music is saddening. I wonder if that level of indifference makes the band feel like they're back in their bar days, except with a big ass pay check.

i know what you meant. what i meant was i dont give a shit if they play corporate events if tom petty did it b/c tom petty is the man.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:01 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Independent bands have to pay for their recording somehow. The times have changed and it's just sense to change with them. If as a sidekick tenclubs functionality improves as a result, I don't think any of us would have a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:01 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

warehouse wrote:
gjh wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

pearl jam wasnt independent until 2006

Thanks...i was about to say that. They are Independent now. They weren´t , they were under contract with a big corporate label, and im sure they played this type of events before.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:02 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

KurtLeon wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
gjh wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

And why the music after Riot Act sounds good?

My point was correlation does not equal causation. This time I'm actually agreeing with you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 pm 
The Snowboy

This is lame.

But I'm not upset about it. I'm more pissed off at the people yelling "Sellouts" for the 3 zillionth time. What aren't you gone already? Yes, this very large and massively famous and successful rock band are hypocrites. Get over it. That's what you get for worshipping some pretty awful cock rock bands alongside PJ (and not realising that there were always more similarities between them than people cared to admit). I took a long time to like Yield because I couldn't stomach how much GTF sounded like U2, and there were a lot of self-help platitudes peppered throughout, and I was a depressive adolescent -- it didn't speak to me. PJ has been an incredibly mixed bag since, but I've long got past it and I certainly never held this rock band up as stalwarts of ethics and morality. Like Rage Against the Machine, they were young and associated with hard rock music and that's just what you did then. John Lydon... do people get so angry over the fact that he does adverts now? Probably not, because they realise how thin his anti-corporate stance was when he was knee-high to a grasshopper.

Last edited by Harmless on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:08 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

No one is screaming anything, Mark.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:10 pm 
The Snowboy

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Not here. But there have been too many people whinging about this on my Facebook newsfeed (and by 'too many' I mean one or two).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:13 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Harmless wrote:
This is lame.

But I'm not upset about it. I'm more pissed off at the people yelling "Sellouts" for the 3 zillionth time. What aren't you gone already? Yes, this very large and massively famous and successful rock band are hypocrites. Get over it. That's what you get for worshipping some pretty awful cock rock bands alongside PJ (and not realising that there were always more similarities between them than people cared to admit). I took a long time to like Yield because I couldn't stomach how much GTF sounded like U2, and there were a lot of self-help platitudes peppered throughout, and I was a depressive adolescent -- it didn't speak to me. PJ has been an incredibly mixed bag since, but I've long got past it and I certainly never held this rock band up as stalwarts of ethics and morality. Like Raging Against the Machine, they were young and associated with hard rock music and that's just what you did then. John Lydon... do people get so angry over the fact that he does adverts now? Probably not, because they realise how thin his anti-corporate stance was when he was knee-high to a grasshopper.

i kinda agree with you...who´s indie? i only think about Fugazi when they tell me about the "indie creed" or whatever it´s name...
Grunge wasn´t fucking indie! none of them was.
Pearl Jam hasn´t compromised their music because of this, or their morals. They have been doing this stuff a while ago. And they were always a mix between arena rock and punk garage music. The only criticism i have is that they are taking too long to release new music....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:13 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Harmless wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Not here. But there have been too many people whinging about this on my Facebook newsfeed (and by 'too many' I mean one or two).

It's all because of that inflammatory article on theskyiscrape's front page.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:14 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

VinylGuy wrote:
Harmless wrote:
This is lame.

But I'm not upset about it. I'm more pissed off at the people yelling "Sellouts" for the 3 zillionth time. What aren't you gone already? Yes, this very large and massively famous and successful rock band are hypocrites. Get over it. That's what you get for worshipping some pretty awful cock rock bands alongside PJ (and not realising that there were always more similarities between them than people cared to admit). I took a long time to like Yield because I couldn't stomach how much GTF sounded like U2, and there were a lot of self-help platitudes peppered throughout, and I was a depressive adolescent -- it didn't speak to me. PJ has been an incredibly mixed bag since, but I've long got past it and I certainly never held this rock band up as stalwarts of ethics and morality. Like Raging Against the Machine, they were young and associated with hard rock music and that's just what you did then. John Lydon... do people get so angry over the fact that he does adverts now? Probably not, because they realise how thin his anti-corporate stance was when he was knee-high to a grasshopper.

i kinda agree with you...who´s indie? i only think about Fugazi when they tell me about the "indie creed" or whatever it´s name...
Grunge wasn´t fucking indie! none of them was.
Pearl Jam hasn´t compromised their music because of this, or their morals. They have been doing this stuff a while ago. And they were always a mix between arena rock and punk garage music. The only criticism i have is that they are taking too long to release new music....

sigh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam