Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 517 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010 Christmas Single? - ARRIVING!!! 9/23/11
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:14 am 
AnalLog

spenno wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
spenno wrote:
Listening to this single made me feel both happy and sad.

Because...

Well, it's great. It's such a blast to hear these songs in this quality.

But...it reminds me that I don't often get the same feeling from the band these days. They don't often just jam out a roughly formed largely improvised new song at the drop of a hat or a radical rearrangement of an old favourite.

I know things change and I still like the band and who they are today, but I'm not sure I like them as much as I like THESE guys.

so dropping olé and of the earth, as well as, rearranging garden and lukin weren't enough?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:20 am 
Master of Meh

EllisEamos wrote:
spenno wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
spenno wrote:

Because...

But...it reminds me that I don't often get the same feeling from the band these days. They don't often just jam out a roughly formed largely improvised new song at the drop of a hat or a radical rearrangement of an old favourite.

I know things change and I still like the band and who they are today, but I'm not sure I like them as much as I like THESE guys.

so dropping olé and of the earth, as well as, rearranging garden and lukin weren't enough?

Aw c'mon, you know what I mean.

(Also, New Jeremy is way better than Slow Lukin.)

I love these guys - I don't think anybody's been as enthusiastic about Of the Earth and Olé as I've been, so I'm feeling quite chipper about the state of affairs in regards to Pearl Jam right now - but things aren't perhaps as consistently thrilling as they were in 1995.

I'm not for a moment suggesting they should be (or even could be), mind you. Merely enjoying a wistfully nostalgic moment remembering Pearl Jams gone by.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:30 am 
AnalLog

spenno wrote:
They don't often just jam out a roughly formed largely improvised new song at the drop of a hat or a radical rearrangement of an old favourite.

i don't know how i could have confused this comment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:37 am 
Master of Meh

EllisEamos wrote:
spenno wrote:
They don't often just jam out a roughly formed largely improvised new song at the drop of a hat or a radical rearrangement of an old favourite.

Well, Of the Earth and Olé don't really fit that mold.

I'm not sure what your beef here is, Ellis. I'm not demanding more or asking these guys to act like it's 1995, I thought that was clear enough.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

I went back through some threads. They haven't been fucking this up as long as I thought. Here are the dates of first arrival.

2005 Single (Little Sister) : 2/21/2006
2006 Single (Reign O’er Me): 1/10/07
2007 Single (Santa God): 12/20/07
2008 Single (Santa Cruz): 5/9/09
2009 Single (Hawaii ‘78): 6/7/10:
2010 Single (Red Rocks): 9/23/11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 am 
AnalLog

spenno wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
spenno wrote:

Well, Of the Earth and Olé don't really fit that mold.

I'm not sure what your beef here is, Ellis. I'm not demanding more or asking these guys to act like it's 1995, I thought that was clear enough.

i just think it was a confusing comment. i don't have a problem one way or the other (its an opinion after all).

i just thought the post didn't make any sense considering some of the things the band has done recently to mix things up and surprise us.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:00 am 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
spenno wrote:

Because...

Thats fine and i totally understand it but these songs were not "wing it jams" .......

Jeremy is still just one key the entire time with little to no changes the entirte tune and yes they rehearsed it..and falling down was still a full song brought in by mike...

In the same vein..they have re done things since.

also, I agree that this Jeremy and falling down are fantastic but it just seems like at this point...you just dont like the band....which is fine too..but they are not THAT much different nowadays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 am 
Former PJ Drummer

62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
spenno wrote:

Because...

Thats fine and i totally understand it but these songs were not "wing it jams" .......

Jeremy is still just one key the entire time with little to no changes the entirte tune and yes they rehearsed it..and falling down was still a full song brought in by mike...

In the same vein..they have re done things since.

also, I agree that this Jeremy and falling down are fantastic but it just seems like at this point...you just dont like the band....which is fine too..but they are not THAT much different nowadays.

Someoe already called you out on it. I should read threads. sorry, carry on

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:23 am 
Master of Meh

62strat wrote:
it just seems like at this point...you just dont like the band....which is fine too..but they are not THAT much different nowadays.

This was more or less the entire point of my post, I think both of you guys missed it.

In any event, I disagree with you that I don't "like" the band anymore, however - I like them just fine, but I don't think it's particularly controversial to state that they used to be a better band than they are now (IMO, of course.)

Last edited by spenno on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:53 am 
Unthought Known

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Yeah this is probably the best one since 1999.

No way these two tracks are better than the Love Reign O'er Me cover from 2006. Even though that one was weighted down by the U2 RiTFW collaboration, LROM had a monumental vocal from Eddie that kind of put to bed all the complaints that his abilities had gone downhill. While he might suffer a little bit in concert, that studio vocal is probably the most potent thing he's recorded since Do The Evolution on Yield. Falling Down and New Jeremy might be better songs, but LROM has more significance to it.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:05 am 
Johnny Guitar

I'd actually forgotten about the Christmas single and listening to these songs in this quality has been awesome the last couple days, they've rejuvenated me a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:08 am 
Master of Meh

I've never been a fan of their cover of LROM - it's probably my least favourite of all the covers they play.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:32 am 
Banned from the Pit

¡B! wrote:
I went back through some threads. They haven't been fucking this up as long as I thought. Here are the dates of first arrival.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:34 am 
alot of $$$

¡B! wrote:

Yah, this was really long. But their defense would be they were busy with PJ20 which is probably fair except that we all paid $20 (and $40) for the stupid single + access to great seats where we also have to pay fees on top!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm 
 WWW  Profile

given2trade wrote:
¡B! wrote:

Yah, this was really long. But their defense would be they were busy with PJ20 which is probably fair except that we all paid $20 (and $40) for the stupid single + access to great seats where we also have to pay fees on top!

Well, if you're going to claim PJ20 as the reason, that would apply to the 2011 single. They weren't doing all this bullshit in 2010. :D They could have had it done and in the mail before 2011 even got underway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It also made me laugh to see how rabidly I was bitching about a February arrival. I'm pretty embarrassed by what a dick I was.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:06 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I would be understanding of the late arrival if they were songs they recently recorded but releasing two songs that were played 15 years ago 9 months after the holidays is a little ridiculous. That being said, there are far more important things to be upset about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:30 pm 
Banned from the Pit

spenno wrote:
I've never been a fan of their cover of LROM - it's probably my least favourite of all the covers they play.

that's just crazy talk!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Yeah this is probably the best one since 1999.

No way these two tracks are better than the Love Reign O'er Me cover from 2006. Even though that one was weighted down by the U2 RiTFW collaboration, LROM had a monumental vocal from Eddie that kind of put to bed all the complaints that his abilities had gone downhill. While he might suffer a little bit in concert, that studio vocal is probably the most potent thing he's recorded since Do The Evolution on Yield. Falling Down and New Jeremy might be better songs, but LROM has more significance to it.

definitely my favorite single from 2000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I can't think of any cover that PJ have made less their own than "Love Reign O'er Me." The whole thing is an extensive exercise in uncreative full-band karaoke. They make an impressive replica, and I enjoyed hearing it live, but I'm not a fan of the whole "cover a song note for note, even the solos" approach. Come to think of it, they kind of do the same thing with "The Real Me"--for some reason that don't seem quite so egregrious. Maybe I just like the song better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 517 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam