Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oracle Appreciation Event
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 pm 
The Snowboy

Raging against corporations is so 2009 anyway.

Now it's supporting LGBT and disability inclusion. And I reckon PJ would still be good at those, so...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

and they just havent done anything really COOL. in a long time. short tours. Shit ton of east coast shows. Shit ton of festivals. Tour over seas. Its been the same for far too long now. Do something different. Shake things up a bit. tis getting boring and predictable. Be cool.

IS IT THAT HARD TO MAKE US LOOK COOL?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:20 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Independent bands have to pay for their recording somehow. The times have changed and it's just sense to change with them. If as a sidekick tenclubs functionality improves as a result, I don't think any of us would have a problem.

Just as an aside, there are plenty of independent bands, including several large ones, that don't have to do this kind of thing to pay for recording costs. Not passing judgment one way or the other, but that just is. Hell, one of PJ's members owns a studio that they can probably record at for free.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:20 pm 
The Snowboy

We already look cool, here, by ourselves, on the Internet. It's rad.

In all seriousness, the only thing which worries me about this is trying to relate the album I want them to produce with the kind of gigs they continue to play. And I can't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:21 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

62strat wrote:
and they just havent done anything really COOL. in a long time. short tours. Shit ton of east coast shows. Shit ton of festivals. Tour over seas. Its been the same for far too long now. Do something different. Shake things up a bit. tis getting boring and predictable. Be cool.

If we were in any other city you'd still be a virgin.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:22 pm 
The Snowboy

digster wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Independent bands have to pay for their recording somehow. The times have changed and it's just sense to change with them. If as a sidekick tenclubs functionality improves as a result, I don't think any of us would have a problem.

Just as an aside, there are plenty of independent bands, including several large ones, that don't have to do this kind of thing to pay for recording costs. Not passing judgment one way or the other, but that just is. Hell, one of PJ's members owns a studio that they can probably record at for free.

This is true and a pretty obvious fact a lot of people have missed. They probably all have expensive recording equipment in their houses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:23 pm 
The Snowboy

cutuphalfdead wrote:
62strat wrote:

If we were in any other city you'd still be a virgin.

That's what she said.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:24 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I'd take the criticism to heart if people praised them for the good they still do. Jeff's time and energy to Indian reservations, Mike to Crohn's, Stone for green stuff, and EV for WM3, etc, etc. There is no thread where people line up for admiration for that, but here everyone is. If it went both ways, I'd be totally cool to rip on them a little. Also, if someone can find me info on if Oracle has been horrible and unethicale, I will gladly line up and gripe. This band was an employee of Sony for chrissakes.

Last edited by Tuolumne on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:25 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Tuolumne wrote:
I'd take the criticism to heart if people praised them for the good they still do. Jeff's time and energy to Indian reservations, Mike to Crohn's, Stone for green stuff, and EV for WM3, etc, etc. There is no thread where people line up for admiration for that, but here everyone is. If it went both ways, I'd be totally cool to rip on them a little.

Thanks Pearl Jam for all you do!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:29 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Tuolumne wrote:
I'd take the criticism to heart if people praised them for the good they still do. Jeff's time and energy to Indian reservations, Mike to Crohn's, Stone for green stuff, and EV for WM3, etc, etc. There is no thread where people line up for admiration for that, but here everyone is. If it went both ways, I'd be totally cool to rip on them a little. Also, if someone can find me info on if Oracle has been horrible and unethicale, I will gladly line up and gripe. This band was an employee of Sony for chrissakes.

This sounds like Eddie Vedder put his balls your mouth, balls your mouth!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:31 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 YIM  Profile

couldn't care less. I'll enjoy they're music, they can live their lives.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:34 pm 
Banned from the Pit

warehouse wrote:
gjh wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I'm not yelling sell out. It doesn't change my enjoyment of the music. It's just really lame. Pearl Jam used to be a band you could get behind for more than just the songs. Now they're just like everyone else.

Yes, I agree. I used to get so pumped up explaining to people how independent this band WAS. But, oh well. I do still enjoy their music more than anyone elses and I know their getting old, but damn. I think sometimes their music sounded so good because we knew who it was coming from and now I just dont know.

pearl jam wasnt independent until 2006

I wasnt using the word "independent" in that sense. Yes, I know they weren't " independent " until 06. But I think its pretty evident they do more for other organizations/people since 06.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:35 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

gjh wrote:
warehouse wrote:
gjh wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I'm not yelling sell out. It doesn't change my enjoyment of the music. It's just really lame. Pearl Jam used to be a band you could get behind for more than just the songs. Now they're just like everyone else.

Yes, I agree. I used to get so pumped up explaining to people how independent this band WAS. But, oh well. I do still enjoy their music more than anyone elses and I know their getting old, but damn. I think sometimes their music sounded so good because we knew who it was coming from and now I just dont know.

pearl jam wasnt independent until 2006

I wasnt using the word "independent" in that sense. Yes, I know they weren't " independent " until 06. But I think its pretty evident they do more for other organizations/people since 06.

Funny how that worked out, huh?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 pm 
The Snowboy

SongWithoutWords wrote:
couldn't care less. I'll enjoy they're music, they can live their lives.

Two variants of 'their' used here. Interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:38 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

SongWithoutWords wrote:
couldn't care less. I'll enjoy their music, they can live their lives.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:40 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Is anyone saying they can't live their lives?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:41 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Someone mentioned Neil Young. The comparison is ridiculous. Neither he nor any band ofhis generation that PJ aspire to, were ever independent or had to release music and try make a living from it in an age where the majority of music is stolen. If this sort of thing or playing festivals helps them continue to record tour and inevitably have to pay all the staff they have on retainers, then thts how it's gotta be. It's an evolving business model suited to it's time. I say fair play to them for having the sense to do it while still managing to be relatively dedicated to the causes they do believe in. And those are two separate issues but if you're signed to Sony you can't scream about corporations without looking ridiculous (RATM) but PJ only ever really had a go at TM and Gates. And the latter was more tongue in cheek pisstake then it was mission statement.
I don't get the complaining about this Sort of partnership at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:49 pm 
Banned from the Pit

dimejinky99 wrote:
Someone mentioned Neil Young. The comparison is ridiculous. Neither he nor any band ofhis generation that PJ aspire to, were ever independent or had to release music and try make a living from it in an age where the majority of music is stolen. If this sort of thing or playing festivals helps them continue to record tour and inevitably have to pay all the staff they have on retainers, then thts how it's gotta be. It's an evolving business model suited to it's time. I say fair play to them for having the sense to do it while still managing to be relatively dedicated to the causes they do believe in. And those are two separate issues but if you're signed to Sony you can't scream about corporations without looking ridiculous (RATM) but PJ only ever really had a go at TM and Gates. And the latter was more tongue in cheek pisstake then it was mission statement.

Yep. Although I do think they should profusely apolgize to Bill Gates for ever saying anything untoward. BG has done/is doing more than anyone is (research Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation), and it's BECAUSE he's RICH.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:50 pm 
The Snowboy

And PJ always had detractors for all the raging they did. Most of the detractors said that you can't possibly maintain such an anti-corporate stance consistently as a gigantic rock band. They were right, in many ways.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:51 pm 
The Snowboy

Tuolumne wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Yep. Although I do think they should profusely apolgize to Bill Gates for ever saying anything untoward. BG has done/is doing more than anyone is (research Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation), and it's BECAUSE he's RICH.

I don't think Apple is beyond criticism in the slightest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam