Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oracle Appreciation Event
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:24 pm 
Banned from the Pit

digster wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
It just seems to go against the grain of creating art, especially if it's going to be art with a social conscience, which Pearl Jam has always strived to be. And Pearl Jam has, at least through the first decade of their career, had always put forth this image of a band of the common people. That's why they always tried to manage the costs of their tickets, allocate the best seats for fan club members, allow bootlegging, yada yada yada. I'm not saying they've thrown all of that out the window, but I suspect that a lot of the reasons why they were so against corporate sponsorships and advertisements at the venues they played was because it's hard to talk about common problems behind a Microsoft sign, which is pretty much what they're doing now.

I'm not angry about it, I'm not calling for their heads, I'm not burning my albums. I'm just saying a really cool band has become pretty lame.

The responses to this kind of thing are interesting to me because they make it seem like Pearl Jam is just like every other band in this regard. And I think that's really hard to argue. Rightly or wrongly, this anti-corporate attitude was and is a BIG part of PJ's identity. I'm not saying it's the sole part of their identity, I'm not saying their minds aren't allowed to change, I'm not really saying anything. But they were the ones that opened the door.

I think a few things should be clarified. When did they say they were "anti-corporate"? Maybe they did, but when? They were anti-Ticketmaster, anti-BP. Yes, they are corporations, but is that all of them?

Would they have done this in 1995? No. And EV was just being extremely foolish back then. But maybe they should have been more clear about their positions.

I think they weren't because they had not figured out their positions yet. My belief is that they are about "corporate responsibility" and that they are not simply "anti-corporate". Corporations can do awful things, and they can also do good things. Bad corporations can do good, and good corporations can mess up and be horrible. Shit's complicated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:26 pm 
a joke

Tuolumne wrote:
digster wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
It just seems to go against the grain of creating art, especially if it's going to be art with a social conscience, which Pearl Jam has always strived to be. And Pearl Jam has, at least through the first decade of their career, had always put forth this image of a band of the common people. That's why they always tried to manage the costs of their tickets, allocate the best seats for fan club members, allow bootlegging, yada yada yada. I'm not saying they've thrown all of that out the window, but I suspect that a lot of the reasons why they were so against corporate sponsorships and advertisements at the venues they played was because it's hard to talk about common problems behind a Microsoft sign, which is pretty much what they're doing now.

I'm not angry about it, I'm not calling for their heads, I'm not burning my albums. I'm just saying a really cool band has become pretty lame.

The responses to this kind of thing are interesting to me because they make it seem like Pearl Jam is just like every other band in this regard. And I think that's really hard to argue. Rightly or wrongly, this anti-corporate attitude was and is a BIG part of PJ's identity. I'm not saying it's the sole part of their identity, I'm not saying their minds aren't allowed to change, I'm not really saying anything. But they were the ones that opened the door.

I think a few things should be clarified. When did they say they were "anti-corporate"? Maybe they did, but when? They were anti-Ticketmaster, anti-BP. Yes, they are corporations, but is that all of them?

Would they have done this in 1995? No. And EV was just being extremely foolish back then. But maybe they should have been more clear about their positions.

I think they weren't because they had not figured out their positions yet. My belief is that they are about "corporate responsibility" and that they are not simply "anti-corporate". Corporations can do awful things, and they can also do good things. Bad corporations can do good, and good corporations can mess up and be horrible. Shit's complicated.

:/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:26 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Wasn't it during the Binaural tour when they made venues take down advertisements from near the stage?

You know, nothing in the world is black and white and you can point to lots of good things done by most organizations. But there's something about an artist that says "you know what, I'd rather just keep that shit separate from my art". I really respect that stance and that was something Pearl Jam seemed to value even halfway through their career.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 pm 
a joke

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Wasn't it during the Binaural tour when they made venues take down advertisements from near the stage?

You know, nothing in the world is black and white and you can point to lots of good things done by most organizations. But there's something about an artist that says "you know what, I'd rather just keep that shit separate from my art". I really respect that stance and that was something Pearl Jam seemed to value even halfway through their career.

Yeah, listen to detroit 1 2003 during the encore. He makes a point to rip on every corporate ad around the stage... including Miller Lite.

and is then photographed with a bud light less than a month later at a cubs game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Skitch Patterson wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Yeah, listen to detroit 1 2003 during the encore. He makes a point to rip on every corporate ad around the stage... including Miller Lite.

and is then photographed with a bud light less than a month later at a cubs game.

The picture with a bud light I don't have a problem with. He's drinking a beer, whatever. But when you're performing your art under a sign for a company, that looks more like an endorsement (even if it really isn't), and I respect a band that seeks to avoid that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:30 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Harmless wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Harmless wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Someone mentioned Neil Young. The comparison is ridiculous. Neither he nor any band ofhis generation that PJ aspire to, were ever independent or had to release music and try make a living from it in an age where the majority of music is stolen. If this sort of thing or playing festivals helps them continue to record tour and inevitably have to pay all the staff they have on retainers, then thts how it's gotta be. It's an evolving business model suited to it's time. I say fair play to them for having the sense to do it while still managing to be relatively dedicated to the causes they do believe in. And those are two separate issues but if you're signed to Sony you can't scream about corporations without looking ridiculous (RATM) but PJ only ever really had a go at TM and Gates. And the latter was more tongue in cheek pisstake then it was mission statement.
I don't get the complaining about this Sort of partnership at all.

Yep. Although I do think they should profusely apolgize to Bill Gates for ever saying anything untoward. BG has done/is doing more than anyone is (research Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation), and it's BECAUSE he's RICH.

I don't think Apple is beyond criticism in the slightest.

Dear god no. Apple's PR is just incredible. I thought it was hilarious to see all the OWS types mourning his death while protesting the 1%... as his sweat shop labor continually was killing themselves.

That was STEVE JOBS, you dillweeds. Research "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation" and see how many hundreds of millions of lives they are or atleast trying to impact.

I'm not a dillweed, fuckwit. I'm saying you can't praise Microsoft and denegrate Apple. They're both corporations and corporations do morally ambiguous things in order to run. They just do. Microsoft is no less guilty of this than Apple, even if you consider the simple fact of swallowing up natural resources.

My bad, I shouldn't have resorted to namecalling. But it's easy to be perfect and powerless, but Bill Gates is overall good for this planet and his good have much outweighed his bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 pm 
Unthought Known

Perhaps all the "sponsored by no one" crap in the early days was Eddie's own posturing in response to all the careerist flak they took from other rock artists of their generation. They've always been sponsored by someone, even when they said they were against it. And then we all fell for the ruse, hook, line, and sinker.

I just watched Weezer perform a free gig for the Microsoft Store in DC. Rivers even made up a song about how much he loves Microsoft products on stage. They've never made claims about being anti-corporate, so while it was a little drag to see logos all over the stage, I have a little bit more respect for them willing to play the game now that they're no longer on a major label. The irony is that they're on Epitaph now, but whatever. They do what they have to do nowadays to finance their records and get their music out. And they don't look like fools in the process because they never railed against it with such conviction.

I'll be really upset when it comes out that there wasn't a line in Eddie Vedder's will that his image and music can't be used for corporate gain after he's no longer around.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 pm 
AnalLog

eddie vedder complaining about a beer ad is like stone complaining about a ky jelly ad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

You're right, Weezer is awful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

You know, straight people have use for personal lubricants as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
You know, straight people have use for personal lubricants as well.

dont speak for other people

did anyone see "the other f word"? brett gurewitz had some great things to say about selling out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

SongWithoutWords wrote:
No one's not letting them live, it's just tiring to go on the internet and see EVERY thing they do get criticized endlessly for being sell-outs. I feel like coming to an area with Pearl Jam fans to discuss the band, not have a pissing contest about who can be the coolest person to dis the band because they 'used' to be good. But someone says what I say during all of these posts, so....have fun :thumbsup:

This.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:48 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Funny how so many people swallowed PJs ideals yet never took to any of the bands they championed. Ideals are cheaper than CDs I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:53 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

dimejinky99 wrote:
Funny how so many people swallowed PJs ideals yet never took to any of the bands they championed. Ideals are cheaper than CDs I guess.

You're an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:54 pm 
Supersonic

I guess, on some level, I always appreciated the attempted blue-collar, band-of-the-people ethic, but that's never why I listened to them. Even at the height of all of that, it was impossible not to roll your eyes a bit because the lecture was coming from a platform built by a major, corporate label.

I think, they've always understood what got them where they are. They wouldn't have had the audience to speak to without the big corporate money. And it pissed Ed off a bit when he was younger. He had trouble reconciling it. So he acted out. And, for me, it was understandable. I could listen to the message, and not read too much into it because I've experienced the same kind of thing a million times. Companies I've worked for have had polices that I've disagreed with and complained/argued about. Didn't stop me from collecting my check.

So, this "news" is whatever. It means nothing to me. Changes nothing about how I feel about Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

You're an idiot.

You love it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:06 pm 
Master of Meh

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

The picture with a bud light I don't have a problem with. He's drinking a beer, whatever.

Nor me. I mean, what's the guy going to do? That's like people ripping on Jeff for being in a hired SUV when he got mugged because Eddie moaned about them a few times in 2003 (which actually happened). It seems ridiculous to have to point out that there's a distinction between their private and professional lives and that it's unreasonable to expect them to maintain absolute consistency (or even perceived consistency) between the two at all times.

Anyway, I can't feel too worked up about this. Maybe I would have in the past, but I cringe when I hear Ed's 2003 rants these days too. I really can't stomach the 'it's to finance recording/tours/band stuff' rationalisaitons, however; as has been pointed out earlier in the thread, that's complete horseshit. Countless bands record and tour on a fraction of the cost of what Pearl Jam does, a show like this is about money. There's nothing wrong with that (to me, anyway) and it's quite possible they'll put some of that towards those things, but that will be their choice: it's by no means a necessity. If it's going to piss of a large chunk of their fans, then I'd think that they might've thought twice about doing it to 'protect the integrity of their brand' and whatnot, but maybe they figure the juice is worth the squeeze in this case. That dude did steal a bunch of their cash recently, after all.

Shitty music annoys me much more than something like this.

dimejinky99 wrote:

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

cutuphalfdead wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Oracle isn't indie anything. They're the third most lucrative software maker in the world.

it was a joke.

Oh. I bet KurtLeon got it.

LOL

62strat wrote:
and they just havent done anything really COOL. in a long time. short tours. Shit ton of east coast shows. Shit ton of festivals. Tour over seas. Its been the same for far too long now. Do something different. Shake things up a bit. tis getting boring and predictable. Be cool.

IS IT THAT HARD TO MAKE US LOOK COOL?!

I don't think this has much to do with the above, but agreed.

Last edited by spenno on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:10 pm 
Unthought Known

Springsteen's got the same rap in a way. Blue collared man of the people. Anyone else see that shot of him and his wife shopping in what looked like a fairly nice and expensive boutique in Europe a while back, wearing fancy shades, bracelets, necklaces, and earrings?

And aside from Make Believe, Ratitude, and The Red Album, Weezer's last album was cool, but it was called Hurley. They used the Lost guy on the cover, and then Brian Bell made the inference that Hurley, the surf company, had helped finance the recording sessions.

I don't have any problem when artists make money, but when they take a position and claim to stand for specific ideals, when it looks like they make an about face, they just seem like they're full of shit. If Pearl Jam releases a great album in the next year, cool songs, good sounds, whatever. I'll like the music and happily give them more of my money, but if its fairly lame and uninspiring, I'll just shake my head and wonder where they derailed along the way.

Stip had a nice line. They really are compromising their art in this day and age.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:14 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

spenno wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

The picture with a bud light I don't have a problem with. He's drinking a beer, whatever.

Nor me. I mean, what's the guy going to do? That's like people ripping on Jeff for being in a hired SUV when he got mugged because Eddie moaned about them a few times in 2003 (which actually happened). It seems ridiculous to have to point out that there's a distinction between their private and professional lives and that it's unreasonable to expect them to maintain absolute consistency (or even perceived consistency) between the two at all times.

Anyway, I can't feel too worked up about this. Maybe I would have in the past, but I cringe when I hear Ed's 2003 rants these days too. I really can't stomach the 'it's to finance recording/tours/band stuff' rationalisaitons, however; as has been pointed out earlier in the thread, that's complete horseshit. Countless bands record and tour on a fraction of the cost of what Pearl Jam does, a show like this is about money. There's nothing wrong with that (to me, anyway) and it's quite possible they'll put some of that towards those things, but that will be their choice: it's by no means a necessity. If it's going to piss of a large chunk of their fans, then I'd think that they might've thought twice about doing it to 'protect the integrity of their brand' and whatnot, but maybe the figure the juice is worth the squeeze in this case. That dude did steal a bunch of their cash recently, after all.

dimejinky99 wrote:

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

cutuphalfdead wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Oracle isn't indie anything. They're the third most lucrative software maker in the world.

it was a joke.

Oh. I bet KurtLeon got it.

LOL

62strat wrote:
and they just havent done anything really COOL. in a long time. short tours. Shit ton of east coast shows. Shit ton of festivals. Tour over seas. Its been the same for far too long now. Do something different. Shake things up a bit. tis getting boring and predictable. Be cool.

IS IT THAT HARD TO MAKE US LOOK COOL?!

I don't think this has much to do with the above, but agreed.

Its pretty simple. We all bought the beliefs and viewpoints this band put to us cos we were younger and needed to be and were happy to be inspired and given a direction by our favorite singer. A lot of it just never carried over to the other stuff they tried to push on us all. Mudhoney? Vinyl only? Ishmael? No thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:16 pm 
Got Some

Will Larry Ellison be the MC? I think this is really odd, and annoyingly consistent with some of their choices since about 2009.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam