Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 am 
Coast to Coast

kt, I saw your original reply. You cussed at thodoks pretty hard. For the record, I believe thodoks has a lovely singing voice.

Post subject: Re: The Ed Vedder Show
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm 
On the bright side

spenno wrote:
Rank the Pearl Jam members by their (supposed) taste in music:

Matt
Jeff
Stone
Ed
Mike

C'mon, spenno. Mike is the only one on that list that listens to AC/DC and you know it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:09 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

im looking forward to this. I would prefer the Stone and Jeff show but this is good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:18 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

What percentage will be from his Underground Garage collection? I'm keen to hear this too. Ed does listen to a lot of music I don't tend to so it'll probably be enlightening.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:
I always chuckle at Ed's awkward "here's a song that probably didn't get played on the radio back in the day..."* preface when playing Teenage Riot by SONIC YOUTH (one of the most familiar songs by one of the most successful independent bands of the 1980s) on Self-Pollution Radio.

Perhaps it did where you live, but I NEVER heard Sonic Youth on the radio back then. Ever. Maybe if you lived in a college town that had a local radion station you would hear stuff like that, but I sure never heard it.

I won't minimize the effect this band, and Vedder especially, has had in opening a world of music to me. If not for them, I doubt I would have given Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Tom Waits, etc the chances I did. Those are bands that didn't immediately speak to me, and if not for Vedder talking about how much they meant to him, I would have probably abandoned them. Now, those are some of the most meaningful musicians in my life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:03 pm 
Stone's Bitch

track12 wrote:
spenno wrote:
I always chuckle at Ed's awkward "here's a song that probably didn't get played on the radio back in the day..."* preface when playing Teenage Riot by SONIC YOUTH (one of the most familiar songs by one of the most successful independent bands of the 1980s) on Self-Pollution Radio.

Perhaps it did where you live, but I NEVER heard Sonic Youth on the radio back then. Ever. Maybe if you lived in a college town that had a local radion station you would hear stuff like that, but I sure never heard it.

I won't minimize the effect this band, and Vedder especially, has had in opening a world of music to me. If not for them, I doubt I would have given Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Tom Waits, etc the chances I did. Those are bands that didn't immediately speak to me, and if not for Vedder talking about how much they meant to him, I would have probably abandoned them. Now, those are some of the most meaningful musicians in my life.

Good point. I got into Pearl Jam pretty young and they opened my eyes to a lot of musicians as well. I bet Ed will do a good job with these shows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:11 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

He has open my eyes specially with Fugazi. I thank him for that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:26 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Yea Sonic Youth was never on the radio. Sure "left of the dial"and all but they were not mainstream radio. SPeno has been known to be super Hip and have his inger on the pulse of it all but id say most people didnt find out about sonic youth by listening to FM radio in the 80's. Theyw ere popular by DIY projects and followings. That was the great thing about post punk rock n roll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:37 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
track12 wrote:
spenno wrote:

Good point. I got into Pearl Jam pretty young and they opened my eyes to a lot of musicians as well. I bet Ed will do a good job with these shows.

Agreed. PJ was always a good gateway drug.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I cant wait to tell Vedder that the reason I found and fell in love with TOm Waits was because of a bootleg none of us were supposed to have and his management company wanted to sue people over!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

How long will the show be? Will it out last the trial offer?

Will this be available in trade? :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:24 pm 
Supersonic

This will be terrible. I remember listening to his dribble and record playing during the Self-Pollution broadcast as a teenager. Yeah, Ed, just get to the part where Pearl Jam plays live over the radio...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:46 pm 
Got Some

track12 wrote:
spenno wrote:

I'll second this. I never heard Sonic Youth on the radio back then. And I spent my summers in a huge college town. "Kool Thing" was the only SY song that I remember getting any airplay. "Beauty Lies in the Eye" blew my mind and that was only thanks to 120 Minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:44 pm 
Master of Meh

track12 wrote:
spenno wrote:

I'm sure Sonic Youth weren't played on the top 40, but they were still relatively huge for an underground band of the time - remember Kurt Cobain's quote about Nirvana was that, in his wildest dreams, the biggest he could imagine the band getting were Sonic Youth big. Plenty of independant/college radio stations were playing bands like Fugazi and Sonic Youth in the 80s; I used to volunteer at one in the latter half of the 90s and I know they were playing that kind of stuff back then. If you had interest in music outside of what was huge, that stuff wasn't very hard to find - especially by the latter half of the 80s. Rage, classic Australian late-night TV film clip show, was certainly playing videos by those kind of bands.

Perhaps the American experience was different, of course.

Coach wrote:
This will be terrible. I remember listening to his dribble and record playing during the Self-Pollution broadcast as a teenager. Yeah, Ed, just get to the part where Pearl Jam plays live over the radio...

Heh, yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:13 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I'm firmly in the track12/'2black camp here. Of course, I'm from Texas...so radio's never really had any grand musical revelations for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 pm 
Coast to Coast

Yeah, shut up, spenno.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 pm 
Master of Meh

Sonic Youth weren't exactly an obscure band by the mid/late 80s, guys.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 pm 
Coast to Coast

If Ed had said "here's a hyper-obscure band that none of you have heard of" you'd have a point. But he didn't, so you don't. He said something that was, technically, correct. But hey! Let's all feel superior to the mega-successful musician who actually knows all the people we only read Wiki articles about. He's so clueless! Haha!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 am 
Master of Meh

I think that was implied in his introduction, in a way that he was trying to redress past wrongs and "introduce" people to Sonic Youth - er, thanks Eddie, I guess.

Like I said above, while they weren't played on mainstream top 40 stations, plenty of radio stations were playing Sonic Youth.

Eddie remains a gigantic dork.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:09 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

spenno wrote:
I think that was implied in his introduction, in a way that he was trying to redress past wrongs and "introduce" people to Sonic Youth - er, thanks Eddie, I guess.

Like I said above, while they weren't played on mainstream top 40 stations, plenty of radio stations were playing Sonic Youth.

Eddie remains a gigantic dork.

i think he was thinking of a lot of people that followed pearl jam at the time because they were everywere, and felt the need to spin a few songs from some other artists, he felt, didnt have the same recognition. Sonic Youth being one of them...but also, The frogs, Mudhoney, etc..

Remember the boston 94 show? he kinda tells something similar about The frogs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam