Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
Farmer John wrote:
Eddie Vedder wrote:
I'm gonna play a song now that probably didn't get much airplay back in the day but it's off the Daydream Nation record by Sonic Youth and it's track one, side one and it's called "Teenage Riot."

Yes, that.

Jorge, sorry if it comes across this way, but this isn't some hand-on-heart crusade.

I think Eddie's kind of a dork, yes. Sometimes he says things I find amusingly dumb. Some posters in this thread appeared to think I was nuts by suggesting that Sonic Youth weren't a terribly obscure band, so I was having some chuckles posting about how silly a proposition that is.

CARRY ON.


Last edited by spenno on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
Farmer John wrote:
Eddie Vedder wrote:
I'm gonna play a song now that probably didn't get much airplay back in the day but it's off the Daydream Nation record by Sonic Youth and it's track one, side one and it's called "Teenage Riot."

:haha:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
To clarify: the silly proposition is that Sonic Youth were obscure at any point past, say, the middle of the 1980s. My wording above isn't terribly clear.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Posts: 3721
Location: Canada
spenno, you're the worst.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
statistically insignificant
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 25134
62strat wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Jesus Christ, just shut the fuck up about it. You're taking a silly radio segue out of context, twisting it into something it wasn't (nobody ever said SY or the song "Teen Age Riot" was obscure) to further a point no one is arguing against. Yeah, dude. You know more about music history in the Internet age than Ed did in the mid-90s. COOL.



This is rare from Platy and im so gay for this on all sides.

Image

_________________
Fortuna69 wrote:
I will continue to not understand


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 15767
Location: Vail, CO
Gender: Male
Spenno, you are having your online forum public meltdown right now. Lucky for you this isn't THAT embarrassing that you wont recover from it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
I've had so many worse moments than this on RM, strat.

At least I'm right on this one.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
:nice:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 15767
Location: Vail, CO
Gender: Male
Your argument is that Ed is a dork and thinks he is some music guru because he liked SOnic youth. And you don't buy that because you were hip to Sonic Youth because they were played all over Australia Radio, so ed is a poser.


And Ed was simply stating that Sonic Youth should be bigger ,was not played on the radio (which - is actually fairly true as they are one of the bands that defined "left of the dial)

So, i really have no idea what you are arguing except your own belief of how hip you were to cool bands without Eds guidance whilst living in a post Radio world.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
spenno wrote:
:nice:


Their name is spelled "Zeek" on the ID tags that show up when I play Self Pollution Radio in my car, but I see that it is spelled "Zeke" on that clip.

This isn't a terribly exciting revelation except for the fact that I saw two LPs from a band spelled the youtube way at Cactus just the other day. :shock: I may have to go by and see if they are still there tomorrow.

Thanks Self Pollution Radio, for all that you do.


Last edited by washing machine on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 15767
Location: Vail, CO
Gender: Male
Also - Im tripping on Acid right now


Spoiler: show
Just kidding


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
62strat wrote:
Your argument is that Ed is a dork and thinks he is some music guru because he liked SOnic youth.

Well...yeah, pretty much.

It's not any reflection on him as a person or as a musician, I just thought it was funny. It doesn't have to have been Ed, I would chortle if anyone presented that song in that same light. It's just some wholesome, bad-natured, snarky fun - not some proclamation of my own musical superiority. We're having this discussion on a Pearl Jam message board; there is no hipster high-ground here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 15767
Location: Vail, CO
Gender: Male
spenno wrote:
62strat wrote:
Your argument is that Ed is a dork and thinks he is some music guru because he liked SOnic youth.

Well...yeah, pretty much.

It's not any reflection on him as a person or as a musician, I just thought it was funny. It doesn't have to have been Ed, I would chortle if anyone presented that song in that same light. It's just some wholesome, bad-natured, snarky fun - not some proclamation of my own musical superiority. We're having this discussion on a Pearl Jam message board; there is no hipster high-ground here.

Quit backtracking. Commit to your superiority or GTFO


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
62strat wrote:
spenno wrote:
62strat wrote:
Your argument is that Ed is a dork and thinks he is some music guru because he liked SOnic youth.

Well...yeah, pretty much.

It's not any reflection on him as a person or as a musician, I just thought it was funny. It doesn't have to have been Ed, I would chortle if anyone presented that song in that same light. It's just some wholesome, bad-natured, snarky fun - not some proclamation of my own musical superiority. We're having this discussion on a Pearl Jam message board; there is no hipster high-ground here.

Quit backtracking. Commit to your superiority or GTFO

Like I said before, I can't speak for the American experience.

Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, early Nirvana: as far as I know, all of those bands were more successful and well-known in the UK, Europe and Australia before they were successful at a similar level in the US. Though that isn't to say they were small potatoes in the US either: they were having records released, going on tour, being reviewed and interviewed by the press, making film clips, etc.

Maybe it just seems different to me than it does to you guys - that isn't taking a position of superiority necessarily. It's a silly argument, anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
I'd kill to have had the JJJ radio experience in the 90s, by the way.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Spacegirl
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:54 pm
Posts: 40914
i don't think 1995 eddie vedder had any illusions that his audience was mostly made up of hipster radio station employees in 1995.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 15767
Location: Vail, CO
Gender: Male
Yes- they were making a mark. Nobody is arguing that. However, they were only making a big mark on a very small subset of music culture.

That is why Nirvana was big. Because they took what everybody else was already doing - and for some reason - were able to catapult into the mainstream.


That is not saying Sonic Youth weren't legit. Or not good. Or not cool. Or not popular. They were part of a subset of bands that were doing something unique and creating something new on all levels as far as music, marketing, touring etc... They just never got the exposure that bands, who may have been less deserving (such as nirvana or pearl jam etc..) were able to get into the mainstream.

Ed is spot on. He's not posing, he's not being a tool, he just stated the fact.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am
Posts: 25451
Location: 111 Archer Ave.
It's a shame that he didn't play Washing Machine on the air in '95.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Eddie Vedder Radio Show
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Former PJ Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:37 pm
Posts: 15767
Location: Vail, CO
Gender: Male
Spike wrote:
i don't think 1995 eddie vedder had any illusions that his audience was mostly made up of hipster radio station employees in 1995.



Exactly and up until about 2003 - they brought bands on tour with them they felt deserved some sort of exposure.

After that they realized their fans wer music morons and decided to just bring their old post punk rock elders so they could just party together.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:25 am