Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108  Next

Favorite Song on Yield
Brain of J 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Faithful 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
No Way 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Given To Fly 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
Wishlist 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Pilate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Do the Evolution 21%  21%  [ 16 ]
Red Dot 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
MFC 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Lowlight 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
In Hiding 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Push Me/Pull Me 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
All Those Yesterdays 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject: Re: The Yield Thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:35 am 
Master of Meh

dimejinky99 wrote:
Perhaps.

Anyone know why eddie vedder is on the credits for jackass 2? We should have a thread for random questions..

:cop:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92705

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:07 pm 
Unthought Known

spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Strange you never see the kinda of religious fervour Yield inspires for Binaural. You dont see Yield getting retracked.

Probably because people are generally satisfied with it already, I guess.

Yep. Plus with Binaural it's just different, as with Ten, there were a bunch of outtakes, some of those (arguably) better than what made the album. I haven't heard anyone say "Leatherman" is better than GTF, DTE, ATY, etc...With Binaural, it's one of PJ's best and most creative moments in their history, but for whatever reason, many of the great songs got cut. This leaves the doors open for us PJ nerds to make a "what if" album.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Strange you never see the kinda of religious fervour Yield inspires for Binaural. You dont see Yield getting retracked.

With Binaural, it's one of PJ's best and most creative moments in their history, but for whatever reason, many of the great songs got cut. This leaves the doors open for us PJ nerds to make a "what if" album.

So Youre saying the Binaural sessions were More creative than Yield? Then why doesnt it get anywhere near as much love as Yield?

The only reason Binaural gets retracked is because they included those cuts on Lost Dogs and that Anything in Between cd sampler leaked.
If we had access to another 5 songs that
Didnt make Yield, it would be getting retracked too I reckon.

Im with you though. I think Binaural has more to offer from start to finish than Yield but thats informed by the songs that didnt make it as much as the ones that did.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:11 pm 
Unthought Known

dimejinky99 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

With Binaural, it's one of PJ's best and most creative moments in their history, but for whatever reason, many of the great songs got cut. This leaves the doors open for us PJ nerds to make a "what if" album.

So Youre saying the Binaural sessions were More creative than Yield? Then why doesnt it get anywhere near as much love as Yield?

The only reason Binaural gets retracked is because they included those cuts on Lost Dogs and that Anything in Between cd sampler leaked.
If we had access to another 5 songs that
Didnt make Yield, it would be getting retracked too I reckon.

Im with you though. I think Binaural has more to offer from start to finish than Yield but thats informed by the songs that didnt make it as much as the ones that did.

For me, Yield as an album > Binaural. I definitely don't think Binaural is more creative than Yield, I just think its all an incredible stretch from 1991 to 2000. The outtakes for Binaural (to me) can be inserted to the album and still flow with it. For Ten, I can't really see SOLAT, Dirty Frank, or Breath really fitting. For Binaural, I think Education, Sad, Fatal, and In The Moonlight all could have worked (this probably could have been PJ's best shot at a double album).

Plus for Yield, there was no retracking (that I know of), mixing / production conflicts, or lots of outtakes like with Binaural (that I know of).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:19 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Well no albums tracklist is just arrived at as on the finished record. Thered be mix cds with different combinations of songs definitely. They simply had a much tighter ship around Yield and none of the ether songs for consideration got leaked. Theres a list of those other songs a few pages back. (Bulldozer??)

But we dont know that the songs/ideas for songs didnt make it onto later albums either under different names. Sometimes songs dont feel right and end up finding their place later. Brain of j being a good example. Written before the No Code sessions but not appearing til much later.

Youre dead right about Binaural though. Could have been a really great double album but as much as wed love to see Pj do that im not sure they ever will

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:49 pm 
Unthought Known

dimejinky99 wrote:
Well no albums tracklist is just arrived at as on the finished record. Thered be mix cds with different combinations of songs definitely. They simply had a much tighter ship around Yield and none of the ether songs for consideration got leaked. Theres a list of those other songs a few pages back. (Bulldozer??)

But we dont know that the songs/ideas for songs didnt make it onto later albums either under different names. Sometimes songs dont feel right and end up finding their place later. Brain of j being a good example. Written before the No Code sessions but not appearing til much later.

Youre dead right about Binaural though. Could have been a really great double album but as much as wed love to see Pj do that im not sure they ever will

Was Parting Ways recorded / played live (??) prior to Binaural? I thought I read somewhere that they tried it out in 95 or something? Is the "Of The Earth" we've heard the same one mentioned during the Avocado sessions (didn't they record like 20+ songs / ideas for that album)?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:57 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Think an early version of parting ways was played in portugal 96 at soundcheck? Not sure on the dates.

Yeah Spenno and I were talking last night about how they said there were 20-25 songs mentioned for both s/t and Backspacer yet the later turned into an eddie fest.

This new method of the band goin off writing together without ed is really strange. It gave us the bones of Backspacer, which im fine with but as a means of writing its very strange. Its like 'lets got our 20 best ideas, get them as polished as possible, take them to him and see what he has a connection with'. Very strange group dynamic but id prefer if they did it the old fashioned way, even though that seems to add a year to the recording time:)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:06 pm 
Master of Meh

dimejinky99 wrote:
This new method of the band goin off writing together without ed is really strange. It gave us the bones of Backspacer, which im fine with but as a means of writing its very strange. Its like 'lets got our 20 best ideas, get them as polished as possible, take them to him and see what he has a connection with'. Very strange group dynamic but id prefer if they did it the old fashioned way, even though that seems to add a year to the recording time:)

Yeah, I'm not sure it's a great idea either.

It sounds like partners in a failing marriage deciding to sleep with other people or get into group sex in an attempt to force some excitement into what they both know is already over.

I don't see what they would achieve like that that wouldn't be bettered by the five of them just jamming in a room and seeing what comes up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:16 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Id be against it in a way too though..we saw what happened with s/t. They did exactly that and went into the studio, still working on songs while recording them. We've heard Ed at least laugh ruefully about how that didnt work out at all. So it's unlikely they'll do that again. Id agree it didnt work, not being a fan of s/t.

But at least Backspacer was a huge departure so perhaps as a process they can get better at it. Jeff says they have 20 ideas for the next one. Guess we'll see before long. We'll have it round this time next year I reckon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:39 pm 
Force of Nature

dimejinky99 wrote:

Huh, i thought they wrote most of thier albums that way, except riot act...and vs maybe cause alot of that was written while they were touring no?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:48 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Well we know they wrote most of self titled in the studio because Theyve said as much and its laboured yet half baked as a result. They switched for Backspacer to the method I mentioned. Not sure how they wrote before that. Presumably a mix of both. With Ed sorta dominating the proceedings and result to varying degrees of success.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 am 
Master of Meh

Evil.little.goat wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Huh, i thought they wrote most of thier albums that way, except riot act...and vs maybe cause alot of that was written while they were touring no?

They've always had individual band members bringing in ideas or almost-completed songs but I'm pretty certain Backspacer was the first time that they made a rule that the entire band minus Ed would get together to record a set of demos which they'd then present to him to work on.

I think I read a quote from either Jeff or Stone that Supersonic and Got Some were the only songs from those sessions that made the final record.

To be honest, I don't care what method they use I just want good, interesting songs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:37 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Its interesting, by excluding him, theyre dont seem to be taking away his power or veto, rather they seem to be adding to it.

2 songs survived out of that many? And presumably theyre written off now if they werent seen as good enough for Backspacer..hopefully some will turn up this go round.

As a method of songwriting im not sure of its success but its better than the democracy model Weve seen. Least this way its far more collaborative for the musicians..still too bad the singer/lyricist gets the veto.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 am 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:
They've always had individual band members bringing in ideas or almost-completed songs but I'm pretty certain Backspacer was the first time that they made a rule that the entire band minus Ed would get together to record a set of demos which they'd then present to him to work on.

I think I read a quote from either Jeff or Stone that Supersonic and Got Some were the only songs from those sessions that made the final record.

To be honest, I don't care what method they use I just want good, interesting songs.

I guess though, technically this was how some (most?) of the songs on ten came about. Seemed to work then.
Ditto on the last part though. What do you think the chances are of a new album before the end of the year? I got kinda exited when i read they were planning to head back to the studio in spring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Youll have it around this time next year I reckon, possibly a little earlier..too much other extra cirricular stuff going on this year by each of them to have a new Pj record by years end. Im happy to be wrong though but id rather see them spend some time and get it right than do a rush job.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:51 pm 
Global Moderator

spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

It sounds like partners in a failing marriage deciding to sleep with other people or get into group sex in an attempt to force some excitement into what they both know is already over.

I don't see what they would achieve like that that wouldn't be bettered by the five of them just jamming in a room and seeing what comes up.

As far as I can tell they've pretty much always written songs privately and then alter them together. What's wrong with that. Someone comes up with the basic idea and then they game through different variations

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm 
Got Some

Do the Evolution. The raw vocals and guitars really work with the lyrics to create a masterpiece. Along with evenflow the one song they played every time I've seen them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:54 pm 
Got Some

spenno wrote:
Evil.little.goat wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Me too. Sometimes I think Ed dominates the process too much from what I read but I don't care as long as we get some good tunes. Hopefully more McCready fiery leads and solos on the next one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:02 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

On the other hand how much does Ed compromise for the band?

Speed of sound being a case in point. It had a strange and not altogether successful journey from really good demo to strange song nobody really loves or even likes.

Maybe there are certain songs he should keep for himself I dunno.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:42 pm 
Master of Meh

stip wrote:
spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

As far as I can tell they've pretty much always written songs privately and then alter them together. What's wrong with that. Someone comes up with the basic idea and then they game through different variations

I don't have any problem with that - as you said, that's a way the band's always worked.

But on Backspacer, they reportedly did it differently. When the band first reconvened to work on new material for the record (presumably bringing in ideas they'd all had individually up until then), Ed was excluded from the process. They only met up with him later once they'd worked on those instrumentals as a four-piece.

I don't think there's anything wrong if that produces good results but since they apparently came up with 20-25 songs and only Got Some and Supersonic made the record (and I'm not overly fond of either), I'm not sure it produced quite the magic that Brendan O'Brien thought it would (I recall reading it was his idea).

As I said, I don't really care what method they use: I just want them to come up with good material.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam