Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 108  Next

Favorite Song on Yield
Brain of J 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Faithful 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
No Way 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Given To Fly 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
Wishlist 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Pilate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Do the Evolution 21%  21%  [ 16 ]
Red Dot 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
MFC 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Lowlight 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
In Hiding 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Push Me/Pull Me 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
All Those Yesterdays 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject: Re: The Yield Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:19 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Angus wrote:
digster wrote:
onesacrowd wrote:
I really don't understand the red dot hating. I think it gives Yield personality (a point that I drunkenly rambled on about in another thread last night). One other point though, I think having the "untitled" the band play live before MFC (as found on LOTL) on Yield would've worked too. Whether that's as well as or instead of red dot, I don't know.

Yeah, I mentioned in that other thread as well that I always considered Red Dot as an interlude on the album, an artificial way for the band to make a Side 1 and Side 2. Angus mentioned that he sees Yield being in two parts and I agree. I would include Evolution in Part 1, so...

Brain Of J, Faithfull, No Way, Given To Fly, Wishlist, Pilate, Evolution
Dot as an interlude (flipping the record over in a way)
MFC, Low Light, In Hiding, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays

I think it works pretty well in this regard; it's short enough is to not be too disruptive, but it's bizarre enough that it makes a pretty clear dividing line, so when I think of songs on the album, I feel that they're either in Part 1 or Part 2. I probably wouldn't think that if Dot hadn't been there. PJ managed to make the experience of having two distinct sides to a record through that decision while working in the CD medium.

I think Red Dot is a definite part of the second side. I love how it passes into MFC. Really wouldn't want those 2 split apart. Even not for untitled.

I agree with Angus.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:21 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Angus wrote:
digster wrote:
onesacrowd wrote:
I really don't understand the red dot hating. I think it gives Yield personality (a point that I drunkenly rambled on about in another thread last night). One other point though, I think having the "untitled" the band play live before MFC (as found on LOTL) on Yield would've worked too. Whether that's as well as or instead of red dot, I don't know.

Yeah, I mentioned in that other thread as well that I always considered Red Dot as an interlude on the album, an artificial way for the band to make a Side 1 and Side 2. Angus mentioned that he sees Yield being in two parts and I agree. I would include Evolution in Part 1, so...

I think it works pretty well in this regard; it's short enough is to not be too disruptive, but it's bizarre enough that it makes a pretty clear dividing line, so when I think of songs on the album, I feel that they're either in Part 1 or Part 2. I probably wouldn't think that if Dot hadn't been there. PJ managed to make the experience of having two distinct sides to a record through that decision while working in the CD medium.

I think Red Dot is a definite part of the second side. I love how it passes into MFC. Really wouldn't want those 2 split apart. Even not for untitled.

I agree with Angus.

What a surprise :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:22 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Angus wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Angus wrote:
digster wrote:
onesacrowd wrote:

I agree with Angus.

What a surprise :)

I think we were meant for each other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:23 pm 
Force of Nature

Angus wrote:
digster wrote:
onesacrowd wrote:

I suppose. MFC is definitely a song which is made to be played after something else. I think you could put alot of things just before it (live or otherwise) and it'll always have a certain suprise/mood change effect which I can't really explain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:27 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Me and a couple other PJ fans will be driving from Indy to Chicago on Sunday to see at least one (hopefully two) show(s). I'm very much looking forward to putting this album on once we have the open road in front of us. :bammer:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:18 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

the piano bit in Lowlight... :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:08 am 
Got Some

I was playing it on a long trip today. First listen for a couple of mates. When I got to the start of ATY, I did the remarkably stupid plug of 'this song is fucking amazing!'. Needless to say they said they hated it. I don't display much cool when I put Yield on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:37 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Truth be told, I can't really understand how someone could hate All Those Yesterdays.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:49 am 
Got Some

digster wrote:
Truth be told, I can't really understand how someone could hate All Those Yesterdays.

I think their reaction was more to piss me off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:49 am 
Got Some

I fucking love Yield. It was the first album to ever produce a song that made me cry (GTF) and generally made me reach all levels emotions. Yield is the reason I fell in love with Pearl Jam and with music.

London 18/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, Dublin 22/06/10, Belfast 23/06/10, London 25/06/10, Berlin 30/06/10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:36 am 
Stone's Bitch

Love this album.But,sometimes,i cannot listen to it.In times like now i cannot feel the sense or the meanig of Yield and its universal kind of feeling.Im closedown by now.Yield and No Code,my fav albums ,just makes me feel depress.They express feelings that i remember but i cannot have by now.But maybe spring will bring some new life for me.Sometimes it happen.Sometimes...

"Es verdad que el río en el que ayer estuve a punto de ahogarme es de una indiscutible belleza pero que me cuelguen con un gancho del prepucio y me hagan girar si en el resto de mi putísima vida vuelvo a meterme otra vez en el agua"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:18 am 
Dave A's Slave

Evvo wrote:
I fucking love Yield. It was the first album to ever produce a song that made me cry (GTF) and generally made me reach all levels emotions. Yield is the reason I fell in love with Pearl Jam and with music.

:thumbsup: Yield is deserving of such praise

Vedder’s sticking with the underdog, McCready’s classicist rock solo, Gossard, Ament, and Abbruzzese’s solid yet organic and rootsy rhythm section. It’s earnest, it’s got tension, and that nod to classic rock. It’s Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:11 pm 
Got Some

rickson wrote:
Love this album.But,sometimes,i cannot listen to it.In times like now i cannot feel the sense or the meanig of Yield and its universal kind of feeling.Im closedown by now.Yield and No Code,my fav albums ,just makes me feel depress.They express feelings that i remember but i cannot have by now.But maybe spring will bring some new life for me.Sometimes it happen.Sometimes...

i understand that. I can go months without listening to any one of there albums and then out of nowhere go on a 2-3 week binge thinking nothing else can top it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:15 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Jambi wrote:
rickson wrote:

i understand that. I can go months without listening to any one of there albums and then out of nowhere go on a 2-3 week binge thinking nothing else can top it.

I'm in such a Yield mood since the Rotterdam show. :luv:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:20 am 
Stone's Bitch

Yield came by my place last night, just before bed (after smoking a bowl), and it whispered in my ear, "You're a fucking idiot for not realizing me as Pearl Jam's crowning acheivment." It then proceded to beat the shit out of me, song by song, until Hummus ended and now there is no going back. Seriously though...the production on this album is leaps and bounds beyond that of any other PJ album. Everything about it sounds so warm and full, and I'm convinced that there has never been a vocal performance that tops the studio version of DTE. I don't even know how the hell Eddie sang/screamed some of the shit that he comes up with on this track, but it is truly remarkable.

and I just wanted to tell you
that the moment was beautiful
just wanted to dance to bad music
drive bad cars
watch bad tv
should have stayed for the sunset
if not for me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:23 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

BadRadio16 wrote:
Yield came by my place last night, just before bed (after smoking a bowl), and it whispered in my ear, "You're a fucking idiot for not realizing me as Pearl Jam's crowning acheivment." It then proceded to beat the shit out of me, song by song, until Hummus ended and now there is no going back. Seriously though...the production on this album is leaps and bounds beyond that of any other PJ album. Everything about it sounds so warm and full, and I'm convinced that there has never been a vocal performance that tops the studio version of DTE. I don't even know how the hell Eddie sang/screamed some of the shit that he comes up with on this track, but it is truly remarkable.

Fuckin' took you long enough.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:31 am 
Stone's Bitch

cutuphalfdead wrote:
BadRadio16 wrote:

If only I smoked weed back in 1999 when I first listened to it maybe I would have picked up on all of the shit that makes this album so great. I mean how about the bridge in "No Way"... how fucking great is that? The piano/harmonies in Low Light? The tone quality of Ed's voice during the incredibly high pitched verses in Faithfull? All of this stuff is now hitting me all at once.

and I just wanted to tell you
that the moment was beautiful
just wanted to dance to bad music
drive bad cars
watch bad tv
should have stayed for the sunset
if not for me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:36 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

BadRadio16 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
BadRadio16 wrote:

If only I smoked weed back in 1999 when I first listened to it maybe I would have picked up on all of the shit that makes this album so great. I mean how about the bridge in "No Way"... how fucking great is that? The piano/harmonies in Low Light? The tone quality of Ed's voice during the incredibly high pitched verses in Faithfull? All of this stuff is now hitting me all at once.

The bridge in No Way is one of my all time favorite sounds that Pearl Jam has put out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:59 am 
Former PJ Drummer

BadRadio16 wrote:

welcome on board! :)

the studio version of DTE is indeed very remarkable. And all people saying the song live beats the shit out of the studio version need to put the studio version on, very loud, with headphones. Let the song grab you. You'll be amazed. It's incredibly intense.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:24 pm 
Founding Bitch

On DTE, do the guitars get louder during the final chorus or is it just my awful hearing?

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 108  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam