Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 108  Next

Favorite Song on Yield
Brain of J 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Faithful 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
No Way 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Given To Fly 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
Wishlist 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Pilate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Do the Evolution 21%  21%  [ 16 ]
Red Dot 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
MFC 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Lowlight 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
In Hiding 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Push Me/Pull Me 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
All Those Yesterdays 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:21 pm 
Global Moderator

No Code left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth so I was relieved to get Yield, but I think it is a middle of the road record for them (BY PEARL JAM STANDARDS--IT IS STILL A BRILLIANT ALBUM). Definitely a step back from the first three but better than No Code, Binaural, and Riot Act.

I have really gotten into all those yesterdays lately, and Do The Evolution is always in heavy rotation no matter what kind of mood I'm in.

Yield never got played out for me, so it is always fun for me to put it in after a while. One of their few records I've never gotten burned out on.

Brain of J, Given To Fly, Wishlist, MFC, and DTE are all amazing songs, and I've recently added All Those Yesterdays to that list (sometimes it takes some time for you to really get a song. Better 7 years later than never).

But Faithful and In Hiding have never done as much for me as they have for other people. They both have great riffs and eddie sings them well but the songs feel unfinsihed to me somehow (Love Boat Captain has the same problems for me).

And No Way, Lowlight, and Pilate are all great songs musically that have lyrics I can't get into that takes the songs down a level.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:15 pm 
Banned from the Pit

[

But Faithful and In Hiding have never done as much for me as they have for other people. They both have great riffs and eddie sings them well but the songs feel unfinsihed to me somehow (Love Boat Captain has the same problems for me)

I've seen some critics who complain about the unfinished thing too, mostly with other albums though. I think if a song like In Hiding had an extra middle part it would lose its immediate kind of effect.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:50 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Yield, Ishmael, the tour, SVT A great string of hits...all related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:35 pm 
Force of Nature

Yield is great, but thats how I feel about all of their material. I can just listen to any album or any boot over and over again, and never get sick of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:37 pm 
Devil's Advocate

B wrote:
This album made me forgive them for fucking me on tickets to Toledo in 1996.
And Detroit and Ann Arbor in 1994.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:49 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Recently (and by that I mean the last 2 years) I have only been listening to shows or watching them on DVD until I got an Ipod. I loaded that fucker up with all the studio albums. The last few weeks I have been having trouble letting go of Yield and letting the Ipod take me through the natural progression of albums into Binaural. Once I hear the beginnig of Breakerfall I have to go back to get another Low Light or All those Yesterdays. I got Yield the day it came out sophomore year of college and have adored it since. I think I owe it an apology for not being Faithfull.

and in time I've realized its now wrapped my neck"

Last edited by bgarvey44 on Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:51 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Yield is my absolute favorite PJ album......here is a review I gave it on Synergy a few months ago:

Yield, the album means so much to me. In my humble opinion it is the most healing record. This album will take you on an emotional roller coaster if you need it to. From Brain of J which will get your blood and brain pumping……then Faithful….OMG GAWD Faithful is a song that hits home with me and makes me reflect…as do most of the songs on this record. No Way sums up Faithful so well….it all ties into an emotional ball of music that is so absolutely magnificent….I feel it so deeply. Then it all breaks……the waves starts slow and all changes the entire perspective with Given To Fly…….Mother fucking Mike McCready wrote the most gorgeous melody for Ed’s awe inspiring lyrics……the feeling of being in such a bad place….then have it all come so clear as though you had a birds eye view on so many aspects of your own life and the world…..like you were FLYING. Lyrically there is no better wrap up for Given To Fly than Wishlist……the albums changes gears again musically….but lyrically Wishlist brings a moral to the story…so to speak, to Given To Fly. It makes you wish because you know that you are human still and can only hope to make a better tomorrow and be that person you want to be…..for you, for the ones you love, and for the rest of the planet. Then to completely wrap up side one with Pilate is great. Jeff wrote a great song here and apparently….like Pilate, he has a dog. ;)

Flip record…

Side two starts with one of my favorite PJ tunes….fucking Do The Evolution baby!!!! This song will lift you up and kick you ass!!! Ed’s words are so POWERFUL in this and they come at you like a mother fucking freight train! That leads into Jack Irons at some of his most trick sounding shit that keeps hitting you in so many different spots. MFC….damn it that song speaks to me and can so feel where Ed was at when he wrote that…….that song almost reminds me of a part two to rvm..but that’s probably just me. Next we get Low Light which brings everything back down to an attainable level…..a place that is soothing and mellow…..still thinking about your own life problems but feeling them sorta melt away……Next is a song that is right up there with one of thee most touching and emotional songs on the record……In Hiding touches a feeling and an inner closure and reclusion that sometimes is necessary in life to continue on. Push Me/Pull Me just lets you know that no matter how kick ass this album is…..you still are going to be pushed and pulled your whole life and it’s really just about how to deal with it all and find a balance with it. Last, and a great album closer is All Those Yesterdays…for me it makes me think back to when times were really happy and fun….and past experiences that maybe at the time I didn’t appreciate…but now when I look back they are treasured memories……

Well, that’s my take on Yield. It was all from the heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:12 pm 
Force of Nature

I have nothing to add to this discussion but

*Reacquainted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:57 am 
Johnny Guitar

Ahhh...the memories...I received a call the week before the album came out from a local record store I liked to frequent. He said he had an extra copy that I could enjoy pre-release. He asked me if I wanted vinyl or CD (he had one of each) - of course I took the vinyl album and spun it all week. It was a blast listening to Monkeywrench radio that weekend and knowing the tunes the band were playing. It was a unique feeling for those six days - I knew I had something special that many people in America wanted, but I got to enjoy it first before the masses.

Oh - and that dude rocked - he always hooked me up with great PJ stuff - the first Xmas '45 was $10, the Alive EP on Cassette was $12, The Jeremy 12" Vinyl, Go on Vinyl, Who Killed Rudolph, the Japanese import of Alive, Even Flow on White vinyl. The coolest thing though was always getting my two copies of vinyl of Vs., Vitalogy and No Code on release day. One to open and one to stow away for 20 years.
I miss that place - :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:29 am 
Menace to Dogciety

Brain of J, Faithful, Given to Fly, MFC, In Hinding...shit!! i need to listen it now!!

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:56 am 
Force of Nature

Every Pearl Jam album serves it purpose. I consider this to be the "MVP" of PJ albums. By that I dont meen the best, but rather it did the most to help the band.

It's my 3rd favorite personally, after Vitalogy and Vs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:27 am 
Interweb Celebrity

my least favorite song on this album is MFC. that's saying something.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:56 am 
Force of Nature

great album to become reaquainted with. people above have said things that were so true with the overall feeling of the album. they went in and it seemed like they wanted to make music again. no code now is fucking amazing, but at the time, you felt like there was something missing, just like today we feel something missing from binaural and riot act. binaural needed one more track to make up with the 4 minutes and 2 songs to start it, and riot act needed a switch of a few songs, like down on there instead of ghost. while ghost is cool, it's a better b-side. riot act has just overall flaws. but this is for the riot act reexamined post.

ah, the waves are crashing on given to fly. i think what makes this album musically superior than other albums was the melody of the songs. i think that whenever stone comes up with a majority of songs, and mike gets involved, you know you'll have a good record.

mfc i feel the same way as rvm II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:01 am 
Mike's Maniac

You can buy your very own Yield traffic sign *HERE*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:04 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

aNiMaL wrote:

Haha. That's pretty cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:09 am 
Resident Frat Dick

Iago wrote:
aNiMaL wrote:

Or you can just get drunk and run out and get your own straight from the source, with a five finger discount. Post and all.

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:22 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Bammer wrote:
Iago wrote:
aNiMaL wrote:

Or you can just get drunk and run out and get your own straight from the source, with a five finger discount. Post and all.

That would cause accidents.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:26 am 
Force of Nature

Yield is still my favorite album as well! It's just great from beginning to end. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:11 am 
Banned from the Pit

It was like the band realised that the record was going to be a slow burner rather than an instant classic and that's why they documented it thru SVT. it'd be great if you could get that visual process with all the albums especially in the studio with their hammers and nails workin it all out together. Yield i feel also has the best booklet, with hidden yield signs and superb photography... the complete package.

x2 06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:21 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

I listened to it this morning on the way into work. Truthfully, I was never a huge fan of the album. Can't understand why now...My fandom is different from most of you. I love Ten. Have listened to it more times than I care to admit. liked Vs. and Vitalogy and then sort of lost track of the band. It all came back in a rush and them some about 15 months ago. The beauty of this path is that lots of PJ material is new to me. Sweet....Man, I love it.

I don't think Yield will be leaving my car any time soon.

I just watched Singles. I can't remember if I've ever even seen the film before. I really enjoyed it. In so many ways it feels like the path not taken for me. The "if only" life...

Too much babbling. I think it must be time to go to sleep.

~ Isak Dinesen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 108  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam