Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Theology Project (PJ related)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:10 pm 
Jim's Pal

any PJ songs that i would be able to use in the project described here?...

i have to find a song with lyrics that describe my belief in or relationship with god. any ideas???????

Post subject: Re: Theology Project (PJ related)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:37 pm 
Menace to Dogciety

Faithful, Sometimes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:52 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Just my opinion, but I don't think you should be doing Pearl Jam based on the topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:12 pm 
Banned from the Pit

given to fly.

usually no one agrees on this one but how can you deny "first he was stripped and then he was stabbed by faceless men....." to me i get an immediate vision of when Christ was crucified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:21 pm 
Jim's Pal

Elderly Woman wrote:
given to fly.

usually no one agrees on this one but how can you deny "first he was stripped and then he was stabbed by faceless men....." to me i get an immediate vision of when Christ was crucified.

hmmm....thats good

i think i'm gonna go with "Love Boat Captain"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:50 am 
Johnny Guitar
 YIM  Profile

I agree with 'Given To Fly' as well...

& i don't know about anyone else... (although it's a little more 'personal') i think that there is just something about 'In My Tree' that fits with this topic... words that come to mind are:

oneness
spiritual
innocence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:18 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

scott wrote:
Just my opinion, but I don't think you should be doing Pearl Jam based on the topic.

Considering Ed writes most of the lyrics, is not religious, and has openly expressed his opinions against organized religion...I agree with you 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:19 pm 
Supersonic

BinFrog wrote:
scott wrote:

Considering Ed writes most of the lyrics, is not religious, and has openly expressed his opinions against organized religion...I agree with you 100%.

Just because he doesn't agree with organized religion doesn't mean that he doesn't write about religion. He mentions God in a lot of songs... most of the time it seems to have negative connotations (Do The Evolution, Glorified G), but sometimes it plays a very important part in the song (Sad). Whether he's promoting or condemning religion, you can still write abou it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:46 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

PhilPritchard wrote:
BinFrog wrote:
scott wrote:

Just because he doesn't agree with organized religion doesn't mean that he doesn't write about religion. He mentions God in a lot of songs... most of the time it seems to have negative connotations (Do The Evolution, Glorified G), but sometimes it plays a very important part in the song (Sad). Whether he's promoting or condemning religion, you can still write abou it.

I agree, but look at the original post. Perhaps I was wrong, but I assumed the person who started this thread is a believer in god and is probably at least a little religious. He said, "I have to find a song with lyrics that describe my belief in or relationship with god". To me, it sounded like he was looking for some lyrics to validate his beliefs in God, and I was merely pointing out that Ed is a non-believer, and that PJ's lyrics are probably not the best theological example to use here.

Last edited by BinFrog on Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:17 pm 
Banned from the Pit

You definitely can't use the word "religious" to describe Ed's lyrics, but I think some of them do have a spiritual component. I interpret some of the lyrics in Can't Keep (I wanna take a look on the other side... I've lived all these lives...) and Present Tense (Have you ideas on how this life ends....) as being at least curious about spirituality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:32 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

BinFrog wrote:
scott wrote:

Yep I also agree, PJ songs are not for explain the relationship or the belief with god, I don't see any song you could use

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:01 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

rocko_300 wrote:
BinFrog wrote:
scott wrote:

Yep I also agree, PJ songs are not for explain the relationship or the belief with god, I don't see any song you could use

Exactly. I think sometimes people can't see past the fact that you can use the words 'devote' and 'god' in a song and not have it be a religious song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:38 pm 
Force of Nature

I don't know that Push Me Pull Me would describe the original poster's relationship with god, but it definitely has a searching, spiritual quality to it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:42 pm 
In a van down by the river

one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:27 pm 
Black Metal Hero

Peeps wrote:
one?

I Can't Remember Anything
Can't Tell If this Is True or Dream
Deep down Inside I Feel to Scream
this Terrible Silence Stops Me
Now That the War Is Through with Me
I'm Waking up I Can Not See
That There Is Not Much Left of Me
Nothing Is Real but Pain Now

Hold My Breath as I Wish for Death
Oh Please God,wake Me

Back in the Womb its Much Too Real
in Pumps Life That I must Feel
but Can't Look Forward to Reveal
Look to the Time When I'll Live
Fed Through the Tube That Sticks in Me
Just like a Wartime Novelty
Tied to Machines That Make Me Be
Cut this Life off from Me

Hold My Breath as I Wish for Death
Oh Please God,wake Me

Now the World Is Gone I'm Just One
Oh God,help Me Hold My Breath as I Wish for Death
Oh Please God Help Me

Darkness

Imprisoning Me
All That I See
Absolute Horror
I Cannot Live
I Cannot Die
Trapped in Myself
Body My Holding Cell

Landmine

Has Taken My Sight
Taken My Speech
Taken My Hearing
Taken My Arms
Taken My Legs
Taken My Soul
Left Me with Life in Hell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:33 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

\m/ 8) \m/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:07 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

how bout gods dice? at least thats my relationship with god (at best lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:59 pm 
Johnny Guitar

We've all just assumed that Youare Giventofly is a strict religious person, simply because he's in a theology class. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but he has a Phantasmo quote in his sig line about jerking it with shampoo.. I think it's safe to say he's open minded. As for the question, I can only answer that for me, not for you.. If I was to pick one PJ song that describes my belief and relationship with God and spirituality, I'd pick Can't Keep. I believe in reincarnation, or at least some form of renewal of life after death. I can't really explain why, but Can't Keep has a lot of emotional and spiritual significance for me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:04 pm 
Johnny Guitar

BinFrog wrote:
To me, it sounded like he was looking for some lyrics to validate his beliefs in God, and I was merely pointing out that Ed is a non-believer, and that PJ's lyrics are probably not the best theological example to use here.

Ed may not believe in religion and scripture, but I think you're wrong in saying that Ed doesn't believe in a God, whether its a gospel from the land or some other form of spirituality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:39 pm 
Mike's Maniac
 WWW  Profile

Release, amongst the aforementioned. it sounds like a prayer to me.

and we finally came to religion... it's hard. as far as i know, the non-theological explanation for the word religion takes its latin origin religare , which means "re-connect", maybe "re-join", in the sense that somehow man got separated from his Creator or his divine essence, and religion is a tool, a means to make that connection, to make the human being whole again. the controversy lies in the view that it's impossible to be apart from our divine origin because it's what we are and this separation would mean that we'd cease to exist. one way or the other, i believe a person can be religious, in the sense of somehow persuing this connection with his/her divine essence, the divine spark, the true eternal spirit dweling in this material involucre, whatever, with or without subscribing to the various existing religions on the planet.

is Ed religious? i wish we could talk about that someday, on a pale afternoon, sitting by the porch, watching the waves, over a cigarette and a bottle of wine... but, until then, i think he is religious, in the sense i described above. his songs are about a search, for himself, his truth, a better world, the answer to those questions that linger on through man history: where do i come from? where am i? what am i? where do i go from here?. what could be more religious than that? and the shows (for those blessed ones who could be there :( ), they're pretty much religious experiences to me, i wish i could just see the egregora of energy forming like a cathedral over the stage and the audience, the energy flowing from the band to the fans, back and forth, until those who have eyes to see and ears to listen are touched and go home floating, purged of their burden, even if it's only for a while... what could be more religious than that ? it's not that the band plans to do that (they're not a cult, i've said before), but it just is. i think...

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam