Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127

Favorite Binaural Song
Breakerfall 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
God's Dice (option only included for juvenal) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Evacuation 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Light Years 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Nothing As It Seems 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Thin Air 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Insignificance 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
Of The Girl 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
Grievance 16%  16%  [ 15 ]
Rival 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Sleight of Hand 16%  16%  [ 15 ]
Soon Forget 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Parting Ways 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 91
 Post subject: Re: The Binaural Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:21 pm 
Global Moderator

darth_vedder wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
NAIS is one I'm rediscovering. After looking at the guitar chords and trying to play it, I sort of have a new found respect for it. Even though it can be pretty good in a live setting, I've always considered it too much of a setlist killer, so its always bugged me. Now I kind of think its really good.

I was always let down by this record because I didn't think it lived up to what I enjoyed about Yield, but these days I'm more inclined to think of it as a worthy follow-up. I kind of wish the official tracklisting was a little different, but I'm not as disappointed in this album as I used to be. Aside from the emerging cohesive nature of the songs that hindsight provided me, I love how this sort of seems to be the record where they backed off on the distortion and let more color bleed through in their guitars. The songs still have edge, but there's a nice blend of instruments that aren't completely saturated with so much gain. It makes the sound of the record really mesh well with the album art they chose.

Maybe they should open with it while everyone is at full attention. It could be a cool one actually, as it start off spooky and chill, then gets the psychedelic blues thing happening.

Glad to see Breakerfall make the cut last night at MSG. Anyone go? Was the crowd digging it?

the crowd dug pretty much everything but it was not one of the favorites.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:28 pm 
Coast to Coast

I wonder if Pearl Jam will ever make music this good again. As much as I like Backspacer (and I do, about 60% of it), it's like... where's the mystery, Pearl Jam? Where's the darkness? We went from somber, low-key, understated ballads and awesome, angry, DYNAMIC rockers (the arrangements to Grievance and Insignificance are top-notch) to the ham-handedness of "The Fixer" and "Amongst the Waves". :|

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:16 pm 
Unthought Known

Thin Air, and Rival have moved up significantly on my list. The piano on Rival really makes it for me. On Thin Air, I love the 58 second mark, to the 1:10 mark. It's a nice mini breakdown, and Ed comes back in nicely. Also, Matt's use of the ride cymbal toward the end of the song (at the 3:03 mark) is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:44 pm 
Supersonic

theplatypus wrote:
Where's the darkness? We went from somber, low-key, understated ballads and awesome, angry, DYNAMIC rockers...

It's the bands and artists who only do that who seem schticky and insincere.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:10 am 
Coast to Coast

I'm saying the last two records have been completely devoid of those things. I think I just need to accept that the band that I loved started in 1994 and ended somewhere around 2005.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:12 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Platy, i agree with your sentiment

Of course i still enjoy the new "pearl jam" and understand its not 1/2 as challenging as anything on Binaural.

Girevance is amazing. I dont feel the band has lost the ABILITY to do this. I feel like i just get that they ...just want to RAWK right now.

Binaural may be my favorite record but Gods Dice and Thin air instead of Fatal and Sad?

Come on. Thats classic EPIC pj song choice fail.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:13 am 
Coast to Coast

62strat wrote:
Gods Dice and Thin air instead of Fatal and Sad?

I love all of those songs

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:15 am 
Former PJ Drummer

theplatypus wrote:
62strat wrote:
Gods Dice and Thin air instead of Fatal and Sad?

I love all of those songs

Maybe this is why we differ.

They are fine songs (and as the fanboy in me), i can never not have a nice time listening to Vedder sing so i still find enjoyment in them...

However, when put up against the former tunes i mentioned....Just dont hold a candle for me.

Gods dice live has been pretty awesome lately though

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:43 am 
Got Some

mray10 wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
The main problem I have with Binaural isn't so much the songs or the production, it's that pretty much every song sounds better live. Some of my favorite PJ songs period though, particularly Ed's songs on the album. Every one of his songs is pure gold, "Soon Forget" aside.

Light Years does not sound better live.

Maybe it would if they didn't always play it about twice as fast as it should be.

It was great live in 2003 and 2006. The version from San Francisco in 2006 is particularly great. It just hasn't sounded great lately and it wasn't all that great in 2000.

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:00 am 
statistically insignificant

theplatypus wrote:
I wonder if Pearl Jam will ever make music this good again. As much as I like Backspacer (and I do, about 60% of it), it's like... where's the mystery, Pearl Jam? Where's the darkness? We went from somber, low-key, understated ballads and awesome, angry, DYNAMIC rockers (the arrangements to Grievance and Insignificance are top-notch) to the ham-handedness of "The Fixer" and "Amongst the Waves". :|

I went to college with this guy named Dan. Dan was always the life of the party: interesting, witty, charismatic, and always a bit unpredictable. I always loved talking to him because he always had some fascinating insight or hilarious one-liner. He was always his own man, and seemed to revel in the independence of his spirit. Dan was the real deal.

Then Dan graduated. Once he became gainfully employed, he started wearing pleated khakis, singing Karaoke every Thursday, and chatting up dinner party guests for stock tips. He actually called me on the way home from the dealership after buying a Range Rover.

For some reason, when I ponder the evolution of Pearl Jam, I always think of Dan.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:02 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

thodoks wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

I went to college with this guy named Dan. Dan was always the life of the party: interesting, witty, charismatic, and always a bit unpredictable. I always loved talking to him because he always had some fascinating insight or hilarious one-liner. He was always his own man, and seemed to revel in the independence of his spirit. Dan was the real deal.

Then Dan graduated. Once he became gainfully employed, he started wearing pleated khakis, singing Karaoke every Thursday, and chatting up dinner party guests for stock tips. He actually called me on the way home from the dealership after buying a Range Rover.

For some reason, when I ponder the evolution of Pearl Jam, I always think of Dan.

Kick Dan in the nuts for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:13 am 
Former PJ Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
thodoks wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Kick Dan in the nuts for me.

+1

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:26 am 
Force of Nature

darth_vedder wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
If you read the posts I made before in the alternate binaural thread you'll see I had to make some sacrifices to make a tight flow. I also use Thunderclap as a hidden track instead of Hummus.

:poke: Hummus is on Yield

I like the idea of one of those instrumentals from Touring Band replacing Writers Block. Damn, this album is so frustrating to me! So much potential, but to me, just too many missed opportunities. The Binaural sessions though are like the peak of Pearl Jam, maybe it was the addition of Matt, I don't know, but the creative spirit really seemed to be in high gear. Probably similar to No Code and the excitement of working w/ Jack.

The band have actually made known that they weren't on the same page working on Binaural. The reasons they gave were Ed's writer's block, the addition of Matt, Mike going to rehab, and Tchad Blake not making the songs sound to their liking.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:29 am 
Unthought Known

StoneIrons wrote:
Ed's writer's block.

sounds like he never recovered.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:23 am 
Unthought Known

well, NAIS or Parting Ways this tour. WTF!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:06 pm 
Team Binaural

since you can never have too many Binaural threads on page 1...

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:00 am 
Banned from the Pit

parting ways is really fucking good

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:40 pm 
Team Binaural

:heartbeat: :bammer:

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam