4 Stars: Really good 15%  15%  [ 17 ]
3 Stars: Average 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
2 Stars: Bland 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star: It Sucks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 108
 Post subject: Song of the Moment #1: In My Tree
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:55 pm 
Devil's Advocate

This idea is being borrowed from the Master/Slave board on the fabulous, wonderful Pearljamnetwork.com site. Sadly, both are extinct, but hopefully this idea will be as successful on RM as it was there.

SONG OF THE MOMENT!

Things are fairly quiet right now in Pearl Jam World. We speculate over new album information and are all foaming at the mouth for the first record since Fall 2002, yes it's been that long. SOTM gives us a chance to come together and talk about the music in a very focused manner. Many of these songs touch us in different ways and this is a great medium for enjoying the reason we are all here, the music.

The Song of the Moment discussion goes as follows. A moderator or myself will start a new thread. We'll post the lyrics of the song along with links to the previous discussions.

(Thanks to http://www.theskyiscrape.com for lyrics)
In My Tree
Written By: Vedder, Gossard, Irons
Album: No Code
Release Date: 1996-08-27

up here in my tree, yeah
newspapers matter not to me, yeah
no more crowbars to my head, yeah
i'm trading stories with the leaves instead, yeah
wave to all my friends, yeah
they don't seem to notice me, no
all their eyes trained on the street, yo, oh
sidewalk cigarettes and scenes, [tem-pted]
up here so high i start to shake
up here so high the sky i scrape
i'm so high i hold just one breath here within my chest
just like innocence
eddie's found a home
oh at last the trees fall
eddie's blue sky home
oh at last the trees fall
i remember when, yeah
i swore i knew everything, oh yeah
let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah
it's growing up just like me, yeah
i'm so light the wind he shakes
i'm so high the sky i scrape
i'm so light i hold just one breath and go back to my nest
sleep with innocence...
up here so high the boughs they break
up here so high the sky i scrape
had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse
of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
baby got it, still got it

So, how does In My Tree make you feel? Let us know! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:03 pm 
Unthought Known

It's my favorite song ever at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:03 pm 
Unthought Known

This is one of my favorite PJ songs...probably in the top 3.

"I remember when I swore I knew everything."

Goddamn what a great line. So simple, yet rings so true.

yieldgirl wrote:
I look a like slut trying to have my boobs all sticking out and shit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:06 pm 
Global Moderator

the first thing that comes to mind everytime i listen to in my tree is cutting the grass back when i lived with my parrents, back when no code came out i coppied the cd to a tape and listened to it like the next 10 or 15 times i cut the grass, so i guess most of the no code songs will make me remember that first, which isnt all that bad because i might have been haveing to cut the grass, but i was blasting PJ so it was ok.

the other thing that comes to mind is greensboro 00 being at my first PJ show, and not knowing anyhitng about PJs live shows, back then i had no idea what might be played, now i can usually figure the next song by by the guitars they switch to :lol: , but i still remember(and quite well because i listen to the boot a ton) ed saying, heres another one we dont try to much, ill take a sip of wine for currage, and then i get to hear IMT live :D

great stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:12 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Great song. I love this song and I love No Code. In My Tree starts the run of In My Tree, Smile, and Off He Goes that may be the best three song stretch on any of their albums.

All about gaining perspective and about self assurance. A classic.

They played this at the 10/25/00 show in San Diego and Matt nailed the beat - sounded like Jack Irons. One of the highlights of the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:31 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

jlvsprljam wrote:
the first thing that comes to mind everytime i listen to in my tree is cutting the grass back when i lived with my parrents, back when no code came out i coppied the cd to a tape and listened to it like the next 10 or 15 times i cut the grass, so i guess most of the no code songs will make me remember that first, which isnt all that bad because i might have been haveing to cut the grass, but i was blasting PJ so it was ok.

the other thing that comes to mind is greensboro 00 being at my first PJ show, and not knowing anyhitng about PJs live shows, back then i had no idea what might be played, now i can usually figure the next song by by the guitars they switch to :lol: , but i still remember(and quite well because i listen to the boot a ton) ed saying, heres another one we dont try to much, ill take a sip of wine for currage, and then i get to hear IMT live :D

great stuff

Funny that you listened to the tape of no code while cutting the grass, and I copied the Greensboro bootleg to tape a couple summers ago when I was cutting the grass aND remember him saying that.
Imma look for that boot and take it to work if I can find it.
IMT is a good song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:44 pm 
Force of Nature

when i got no code this song was rocked till my tape popped 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:50 pm 
Mike's Maniac
 WWW  Profile

in my tree is my favorite song ever. it's my song. as i had had a love and hate experience with no code, it just became alive to me when i saw L@TG last year. it blew my mind. i cry every time i listen to it. i listen to it in my darkest moments. i listen to it in waves, sometimes everyday, morning going to work, night after work, over and over. i learned to play it by watching L@TG, it's a feat to me. the funny thing is, years ago i got a lucky tree, it's an ornament very common in my country, the leaves are made of seeds, or dry flowers, to represent health or prosperity, in my case they're made of little pink quartz stones, and it's the tree of love and happiness. a long time before that i had won a sweet lucky charm, it's a tiny little doll you're supposed to make a wish upon and pin it to your bra. well, when i got it, i had nothing i wished for (i was frozen, so to speak), but i never waste a lucky charm, so i had not made a wish. a couple of years ago, when my thaw had set in, i decided i had something to wish for, so i did it, but instead of carrying the lucky charm pinned to my bra, i decided to put the little doll beneath the tree! and then a year later, the token finally fell and i noticed the synchronicity. then i put the little doll on top of the tree! ok, this is certainly the corniest post ever, but, whatever! the thing is, i look at the three and the little doll everyday and it always makes me smile, and the song plays in my mind. and it makes me happy. my page for the RM Holiday Project (still pending, come and be part of it, guys!) was totally based on the song. the sky i scrape is the greatest line ever written. i hope i made it clear how i love this song. :heartbeat: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:24 pm 
Force of Nature

Makes me feel like I'm flying. Puts things into persepctive for me, makes me realise whatever I'm worrying about simply isn't worth it. It's all about progress for me, moving forward, growing up.

"I remember when I swore I knew everything, let's say knowledge is a tree, it's growing up just like me"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:56 pm 
Got Some

In my eyes the most beautiful Pearl Jam song - everyone in the band is at his absolute finest, and everything is written and timed just perfectly. It has continually produced shivers in me ever since I first discovered it, and even when I'm having an off period with the band, I can put it on and still be as engulfed in it. I do not hesitate a second to call it my favourite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:05 am 
Spaceman

Beautiful, uplifting song. The drums are the entire key to it for me, and the lyrics. It's simply triumphant.

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:30 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

I did not like No Code when it was released and was not a fan of In My Tree at all.

Now, I love it.

j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:00 am 
Got Some

dea wrote:
in my tree is my favorite song ever. it's my song. as i had had a love and hate experience with no code, it just became alive to me when i saw L@TG last year. it blew my mind. i cry every time i listen to it. i listen to it in my darkest moments. i listen to it in waves, sometimes everyday, morning going to work, night after work, over and over. i learned to play it by watching L@TG, it's a feat to me. the funny thing is, years ago i got a lucky tree, it's an ornament very common in my country, the leaves are made of seeds, or dry flowers, to represent health or prosperity, in my case they're made of little pink quartz stones, and it's the tree of love and happiness. a long time before that i had won a sweet lucky charm, it's a tiny little doll you're supposed to make a wish upon and pin it to your bra. well, when i got it, i had nothing i wished for (i was frozen, so to speak), but i never waste a lucky charm, so i had not made a wish. a couple of years ago, when my thaw had set in, i decided i had something to wish for, so i did it, but instead of carrying the lucky charm pinned to my bra, i decided to put the little doll beneath the tree! and then a year later, the token finally fell and i noticed the synchronicity. then i put the little doll on top of the tree! ok, this is certainly the corniest post ever, but, whatever! the thing is, i look at the three and the little doll everyday and it always makes me smile, and the song plays in my mind. and it makes me happy. my page for the RM Holiday Project (still pending, come and be part of it, guys!) was totally based on the song. the sky i scrape is the greatest line ever written. i hope i made it clear how i love this song. :heartbeat: :lol:

heh, it was a little corny, but nice. I like reading your posts, you have a way with words.

As for In My Tree, I don't really have a distinct memory of when it became a favourite. I didn't listen to it much until I started coming here and now I immediately associate it with TSIS (and Scott) for obvious reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:21 am 
Banned from the Pit

Thundering Irons
Whimsy Eddie
Melo-melodic Stone
Dash of Mike and Jeff
One of my favorites, lifts me up
It sways in and out, like the tall pines we used to climb on the windiest of days as a kid.
I fell only once, but I busted my ass.
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:36 am 
Stone's Bitch

what can i say about this song that hasnt been said already? its just one of those songs. and as infuckincredible as it is to hear this one live, i think ill always favor the studio version... its so perfect

:peace: frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:38 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

love the drum work on in my tree.
*recommends melbourne 98"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:50 am 
Got Some

On my 18th birthday I painted a picture of a tree on my basement wall. With the qoute "Let's say knowledge is a tree, it's growing up just like me," and dated it.

In My Tree has always been one of the closest songs to me.

"had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse
baby got it, still got it .....(jacks drum outro)"-- Simply beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:58 am 
Spaceman

lunkin wrote:

best. version. ever

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:06 am 
Founding Bitch
 WWW  Profile

cincinnati dude wrote:
On my 18th birthday I painted a picture of a tree on my basement wall. With the qoute "Let's say knowledge is a tree, it's growing up just like me," and dated it.

In My Tree has always been one of the closest songs to me.

"had my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse
baby got it, still got it .....(jacks drum outro)"-- Simply beautiful.

That is really awesome! :P

That is my favorite part of the song too. I have been playing this song a lot lately, and it has been kicking my arse.

At night I drink myself to sleep and pretend
I don't care that you're not here with me
Cause it's so much easier to handle
all my problems if I'm too far out to sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:08 am 
Founding Bitch
 WWW  Profile

vacatetheword wrote:
lunkin wrote: