Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Rate Last Exit
5 Stars: A Masterpiece 52%  52%  [ 48 ]
4 Stars: really good 36%  36%  [ 33 ]
3 Stars: A Nice Song 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
2 Stars: Missing Something 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
1 Star: It Sucks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 91
 Post subject: Song of the Moment: Let my spirit pass....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:21 pm 
Global Moderator

Last Exit

Lives opened and trashed..."look ma, watch me crash"...
No time to question why'd nothing last
Grasp and hold on...hold tight and fast...
Soon be over...and I will relent...

Let the ocean swell, dissolve away my past
Three days, and maybe longer
Won't even know I've left

Under your tongue I'm like a tab
I will give you what you're not supposed to have
Under my breath...I swear by sin
For better or for worse at best we began...

Let the sun climb, oh, burn away my mask
Shed my skin at last...

Let the sun shine, burn away my mask
Won't ever find me here

Let the ocean dissolve 'way my past
Four days, and not much longer...
Let my spirit pass...

This is, this is...
This is, this is...
This is, this is...
My...
Last exit

Previous Songs of the Moment
In My Tree
Red Mosquito
Porch
I Got Id
Release
Do The Evolution
Breath
Corduroy
Elderly Woman...
Leash
Hail Hail
Grievance
Love Boat Captain
Even Flow
Black Red Yellow
In Hiding
Can't Keep
Indifference
Insignificance
Whipping
Black
Smile
Push Me Pull Me
Rats
God's Dice
All or None
Yellow Ledbetter

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Last edited by stip on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:22 pm 
Global Moderator

I can’t say enough great things about this song. Easily my favorite album opener. From the off key tuning to the crashing opening (some of my favorite work by Dave A) to the desperate ragged energy to the song and its abrupt slamming into a brick wall stop it completely sets the tone for Vitalogy.

I’ve always considered Vitalogy to end with Immortality and in between Last Exit and Immortality you have the struggle to find redemption in music working itself out (especially in Not For You, Corduroy, Bugs, and Satan’s Bed). The tension comes from the fact that the music which should be the source of that redemption is also the source of the problems—can a corrupted art still heal?

I think these are the best lyrics on any of the openers and the first verse especially

Lives opened and trashed
"Look ma, watch me crash"...
No time to question
Why'd nothing last...
Grasp and hold on
We're dyin' fast...
Soon be over...
And i will relent...

With the music, vocals, and lyrics you get such a bleak picture painted of a life quickly spiraling out of control, with the singer realizing that he’s lost his essential humanity. He’s just a mask or an idea—no longer a person—and the singer is just aching for release, wanting to burn away in the sun or wash away in the ocean—realizing before the song ends (he hesitates—the day count moves from three to four) that there is one final chance to find some shade or solid ground. His last exit.

Great start to the greatest record of all time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:23 pm 
Global Moderator

Does anyone know if there is any significance behind the three days line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:59 pm 
Father Bitch

One of my favorite pj songs, on my favorite album of all time. When I first bought Vitalogy, I had only heard STBC, and honestly wasn't too impressed. On the first listen, Last Exit alone was enough to make me believe this was going to be a special album. I love the mood, the flow, the lyrics, everything about about it. If I ever sat down and ranked pj songs, this would probably be in the top 10.

This song is neck and neck with 'Go' as my favorite opener. I actually like Last Exit more, it's just the intro to the studio version of 'Go' is one of the coolest starts to an album I've ever heard.

As far as the interpretation, I'm with stip, 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:03 pm 
Founding Bitch

The song kicks ass. Just about my favourite opener.

I really love the live versions whenever Ed sings the [with capital letters] "THIS IS, THIS IS" part.

A+ song :luv:

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:31 pm 
Of Counsel

The first bootleg I ever got was a tape from my friend's cd called "Surfer Eddie's Sunshine State", a recording of the 11-17-93 New Orleans show. Tagged on the end for filler was the performance of this song from the night before (and of course labelled "Three Days", as it was on most early boots). It was rough and hard and very cool. So I was very pleasantly surprised to hear it open up Vitalogy when that finally came out in December.

Besides the manic energy of the song, there are two things that I particularly like about it. First is the line "under your tongue, I'm like a tab, I will give you what you're not supposed to have". At the time this album was released, I was well into my "acid phase", so I knew exactly what Eddie was talking about in that line. It's still one of my favorite lines in Pearl Jam's music.

The other thing is the scream of "Let my spirit pass!" (or "set my spirit free", depending on how you hear it) at the end of the song. I think that the first time I heard the song on the bootleg, this was not a part of the song, or at the least, it was not as powerful a scream, because I can remember feeling shaken by it the first time I listened to the album. The amount of strain and emotion flowing from those words is as raw and real as Eddie ever sounded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 pm 
Global Moderator

punkdavid wrote:
The first bootleg I ever got was a tape from my friend's cd called "Surfer Eddie's Sunshine State", a recording of the 11-17-93 New Orleans show. Tagged on the end for filler was the performance of this song from the night before (and of course labelled "Three Days", as it was on most early boots). It was rough and hard and very cool. So I was very pleasantly surprised to hear it open up Vitalogy when that finally came out in December.

Besides the manic energy of the song, there are two things that I particularly like about it. First is the line "under your tongue, I'm like a tab, I will give you what you're not supposed to have". At the time this album was released, I was well into my "acid phase", so I knew exactly what Eddie was talking about in that line. It's still one of my favorite lines in Pearl Jam's music.

The other thing is the scream of "Let my spirit pass!" (or "set my spirit free", depending on how you hear it) at the end of the song. I think that the first time I heard the song on the bootleg, this was not a part of the song, or at the least, it was not as powerful a scream, because I can remember feeling shaken by it the first time I listened to the album. The amount of strain and emotion flowing from those words is as raw and real as Eddie ever sounded.

I didn't know this one from the boots before I heard vitalogy for the first time, but I was also really struck by the strain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:50 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

This blows away every so-called hard rocker on Ten and Vs for me. Amazing song. This is the ultimate "I can't sit still whilst listening to it" PJ song for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:50 pm 
Got Some

this is one of those songs when listening to it you have to be in the right mood, it's not a song like light years when you can listen to it at any time of the day not matter what.

the song is definatly better live and is great for working out.

i give it a 6 out of 10

GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO
GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:12 pm 
Global Moderator

holierthanthou wrote:
this is one of those songs when listening to it you have to be in the right mood, it's not a song like light years when you can listen to it at any time of the day not matter what.

the song is definatly better live and is great for working out.

i give it a 6 out of 10

ugh--this is a 9/10 for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:32 pm 
Force of Nature

My favorite PJ opener and the perfect opener for my first (and only...so far) PJ concert (Kissimmee '04).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:04 pm 
Global Moderator

satsumafutant wrote:
My favorite PJ opener and the perfect opener for my first (and only...so far) PJ concert (Kissimmee '04).

Last kiss opened my first pearl jam show (randall's island night one in 96). It was taking a while for PJ to hit the stage and there were a few false starts when roadies came out to tune instruments, etc. But the band kinda crept onto stage and no one noticed until they started pouding out the drum beat in last kiss and whole place erupted and charged the stage. It was one of the most amazing moments of my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:09 pm 
Got Some

I have to agree that Last Exit is probably the best album opener. This song has great lyrics and definitely sets the mood for the rest of Vitalogy. I think that Stip's interpretation of the song is pretty much dead on. When I decided to quit my job I thought of this song in particular the line "Three days maybe longer won't even know I've left".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:17 pm 
Of Counsel

stip wrote:
satsumafutant wrote:

Last kiss opened my first pearl jam show (randall's island night one in 96). It was taking a while for PJ to hit the stage and there were a few false starts when roadies came out to tune instruments, etc. But the band kinda crept onto stage and no one noticed until they started pouding out the drum beat in last kiss and whole place erupted and charged the stage. It was one of the most amazing moments of my life.

Last KISS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:24 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

a top five pearl jam song for me.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:24 pm 
Supersonic

I LOVE this song. It's the best opener I've seen them perform. I can't decide though if I'd list this or Sometimes as the best opener.

Anyways, I love the snare drum at the beginning of the song. I love the This is, this is, this is, this is, my last exit at the end. It's probably a top 5 PJ song for me and I'd rate is as the 2nd best song from the first 3 albums (behind immortality).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:33 pm 
Global Moderator

punkdavid wrote:
stip wrote:
satsumafutant wrote:

Last KISS?

Last Exit :oops: sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:49 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

corduroy_blazer wrote:
a top five pearl jam song for me.

Post subject: sweet
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:35 pm 
Cameron's Stallion

Easily their most addictive and rocking opener (although Brain of J gives it a run for its money) and still an awesome live song. You can say Ed's voice is going, but listen to this song live in Lexington, 2003, he still puts everything he's got into it.

But jesus, this song is so reckless, messy and fun it's impossible not to be drawn in and consumed with energy. It's also perfect for Vitalogy, perfect song and perfect album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:52 pm 
Camden Crew

great song. love hearing it live.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam