Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:06 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Its_not_1974 wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
if anyone flips on 'bugs' as a flaw on this album, i'll go nuts. besides 'corduroy', 'bugs' is the defining song on this album.

I'm buying what you're selling.

:thumbsup:

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:33 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I think this is their best album. I don't see any flaws in it. I think the ommission of Mike's solos is a good thing. I think Mike still shines here, but it's integrated into the songs. I think some of the "wankery" is thrown on there to rid themselves of some people. Didn't work, No Code would take of that. I agree, that this not only my favorite PJ album, but my favorite album period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:48 pm 
Force of Nature

Cal Varnsen wrote:
light_years62103 wrote:
Cal Varnsen wrote:
i think this album was leaps and bounds better than Ten or Vs., but that being said i'm still not a big fan of it. the production was definitely much better on this one, so i'm happy that it was able to set the stage for the epic No Code.

as far as the tracks, i absolutely love immortality, and last exit is a pretty sweet album opener, but other than that, most of the tracks are mediocre at best for me. i can't stand betterman or nothingman. stbc, tremor christ, not for you, and corduroy are alright i guess, but if i listen to a boot, i skip over them every time. satans bed, bugs, and the filler tracks i dont really have an opinion on. i dont like them, but i dont hate them either.

I have to echo what's been said earlier in the thread. Please don't take this the wrong way, but what PJ songs are "your kind of songs"? What kinds of things make you a big fan of the band?

haha, we must not have met yet. you'll get to know me soon enough. :)

to answer your question...pretty much anything on yield, no code, binaural, and riot act.

:D

We have a lot in common.

Post subject: Vitalogy flaws...and suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:49 pm 
Spambot

I just joined the message board, so I actually haven't had time to read all the comments...

But I agree with the first poster that as a whole its rather inconsistent. Now, as a caveat I will say that I do like the random songs such as Aye Davanita and Bugs, so I can't say that I don't enjoy the album (with the exception of Hey Foxy-------------, which after many many tries I still can't get into).

I think the primary problem is one of sequencing.

The more traditional songs get broken up by the more experimental ones...and I think the flow suffers. Not much you can do to fix it, except for re-shuffling a bit, and scratching two songs (I would pick Hey Foxywhatever and Pry, To). So my ideal Vitalogy tracklist would go like this:

Last Exit
Spin the Black Circle
Corduroy
Not for You
Tremor Christ
Nothingman
Bugs
[I think Bugs can be effectively placed as an "intermission" song.]
Whipping
Satan's Bed
Aye Davanita
[I think Aye Davanita would flow into Betterman very nicely]
Betterman
Immortality

Immortality is in my opinion, a perfect album-closer (and essentially is for me whenever I listen to Vitalogy). You'd still have some experimental songs in this listing...which will of course elicit different reactions depending on one's views of them. I agree with the first poster though in the sense that a tracklist like his would have made critics declare it the best album of the 90s probably.

Those are my two-cents...

Raw or well done?
Do I trick them?
I don't think they're that dumb

Post subject: Re: Vitalogy flaws...and suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:06 pm 
Global Moderator

dissident37 wrote:

Last Exit
Spin the Black Circle
Corduroy
Not for You
Tremor Christ
Nothingman
Bugs
[I think Bugs can be effectively placed as an "intermission" song.]
Whipping
Satan's Bed
Aye Davanita
[I think Aye Davanita would flow into Betterman very nicely]
Betterman
Immortality

welcome to the board. Nice sig :) that's a solid track listing, although I'd cut aye davanita too.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I guess for me the only flaw with this album is that it doesn't end after Immortality. I don't think the lack of guitar solos is a flaw, only because I don't think they would have been appropriate. Plus, I'll take the Jam at the end of Corduroy over almost any studio solo they've done. I also don't see the "filler" songs as an issue (except stupid mop) I actually really like Aye Davanita and Bugs and I think pry, to works really well in the context of the album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:10 am 
Got Some

there is nothing wrong with vitalogy -- - nothing

GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO
GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:21 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

holierthanthou wrote:

flawless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:51 am 
not a big Gay guy

the second biggest flaw is it won't fit on my cd rack with the spine facing outwards

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:22 am 
Banned from the Pit

My personal least favorite album, though Riot Act is starting to catch up, Vitalogy just doesn't flow at all. I've always called this a collection of songs rather than an album. It's clear that the songwriting process was breaking down at this point as Betterman was already six years old, while Whipping and another song that I'm blanking on at the moment were written in their preparation for Vs. All in all though, I find the period for this album to work as it was a giant enema for the band, getting all of the shit out, finally culminating with the removal of Dave A. And thank god for that. He was the only member of the band that I've never liked at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:09 am 
Interweb Celebrity

bugs should've been the first single.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:16 am 
Global Moderator

corduroy_blazer wrote:
bugs should've been the first single.

didn't you create a thread for your brain farts? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:45 am 
Stone's Bitch

Personally The only issue I have with Vitalogy is Stupid Mop - other then that it's the closest any band has come to creating the flawless album - which brings problem #2 - I listen to this album too much so I go through periods of just being plain sick of it, but after giving it a rest for a wee while - it's like the return of an old friend.

After Ten and VS - this is the album I knew Pearl Jam was capable of with the tightness of the band, the agression - plus their whole 'fuck the system, we'll do it our way' kind of feel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:05 am 
Got Some

holierthanthou wrote:

Agreed. I remember my stepsister absolutely hating it when it came out. Vitalogy literally destroyed her enjoyment of Pearl Jam, and she loved the first two albums. Strange. I thought it was one of the best things I'd ever heard, and I loved everything I had heard off the first two albums alreadly. So I taped a copy off her CD back that summer (1995) and the rest is history.

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

Post subject: mop
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:51 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I only have 2 problems.

1: Stupid Mop is worthless and takes away from the album and the way it closes....

2: The number of songs....should've been 1 or 2 more, considering the number of pissin around tracks (4).

Otherwise...the memories I have of getting the vinyl because I couldn't wait, blasting it, and having friends over to hear it, and talking about it all day in school....wow! Everytime I hear it...I relive it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:43 pm 
Founding Bitch

knuckles of frisco wrote:
the second biggest flaw is it won't fit on my cd rack with the spine facing outwards

Forgot about that one :)

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:39 pm 
Global Moderator

Juvenal wrote:
knuckles of frisco wrote:

Forgot about that one :)

me too. I have shelves for them now so it isn't a problem but used to piss me off. :)

Post subject: Now I get it
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:42 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Am I the only one that most enyoys vitalogy at night? For some reason the darkness of the songs makes me want to listen to the album at night.

Post subject: Now I get it
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:45 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Sorry if the above post isn't deep enough or doesn't mention how complex Ed's writing is or the production quality of the album, but I just can't judge an albums flaws that way. The true question is how does it make you feel when you listen to it? What period of your life does it bring you back to? And lastly, does it Kick Ass?

Post subject: Re: Now I get it
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:25 pm 
Global Moderator

porchball wrote:
Am I the only one that most enyoys vitalogy at night? For some reason the darkness of the songs makes me want to listen to the album at night.

I most enjoy vitalogy whenever I'm listening to it. I've never prefered it at any time of day. But I can seem how it feels appropriate for night time. it's certainly their darkest album

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam