Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:55 am 
Camden Crew

light_years62103 wrote:
Cal Varnsen wrote:
i think this album was leaps and bounds better than Ten or Vs., but that being said i'm still not a big fan of it. the production was definitely much better on this one, so i'm happy that it was able to set the stage for the epic No Code.

as far as the tracks, i absolutely love immortality, and last exit is a pretty sweet album opener, but other than that, most of the tracks are mediocre at best for me. i can't stand betterman or nothingman. stbc, tremor christ, not for you, and corduroy are alright i guess, but if i listen to a boot, i skip over them every time. satans bed, bugs, and the filler tracks i dont really have an opinion on. i dont like them, but i dont hate them either.

I have to echo what's been said earlier in the thread. Please don't take this the wrong way, but what PJ songs are "your kind of songs"? What kinds of things make you a big fan of the band?

haha, we must not have met yet. you'll get to know me soon enough. :)

to answer your question...pretty much anything on yield, no code, binaural, and riot act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:06 am 
a saucerful of secrets

Cal Varnsen wrote:
light_years62103 wrote:
Cal Varnsen wrote:
i think this album was leaps and bounds better than Ten or Vs., but that being said i'm still not a big fan of it. the production was definitely much better on this one, so i'm happy that it was able to set the stage for the epic No Code.

as far as the tracks, i absolutely love immortality, and last exit is a pretty sweet album opener, but other than that, most of the tracks are mediocre at best for me. i can't stand betterman or nothingman. stbc, tremor christ, not for you, and corduroy are alright i guess, but if i listen to a boot, i skip over them every time. satans bed, bugs, and the filler tracks i dont really have an opinion on. i dont like them, but i dont hate them either.

I have to echo what's been said earlier in the thread. Please don't take this the wrong way, but what PJ songs are "your kind of songs"? What kinds of things make you a big fan of the band?

haha, we must not have met yet. you'll get to know me soon enough. :)

to answer your question...pretty much anything on yield, no code, binaural, and riot act.
You'll get to know him once you have a sig. :)

You talkin to me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:08 am 
Stone's Bitch

I think if you want to truly enjoy this album, you have to listen to the vinyl, it sounds so raw and incredible, no skipping songs, listen to it beginning to end, and it is incredible (certain substances will increase the enjoyment level).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:10 am 
Got Some

I like this "Major Flaw" thread series, although this is my first post in one. I also think that when there is so much more exciting, positive, and uplifting news going around, there needs to be a good sticky thread that emphasizes negative album traits, hence keeping all the negative members happy during this time of rejoice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:44 am 
Interweb Celebrity

if the point of this album was to give a big fuck you to execs, it's sort of ironic they put on better man and it was a huge hit for the execs, no?

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:48 am 
Back from the dead

yeah but Eddie said the song was about something personal though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:51 am 
Supersonic

corduroy_blazer wrote:
if the point of this album was to give a big fuck you to execs, it's sort of ironic they put on better man and it was a huge hit for the execs, no?

I don't think the band was functioning enough to be making calculated statements between 94 and 96. That might be why those two records feel like the most ethereal, the most liquid....they other albums are like band records, Who records in some ways....those two are the most Neil Young in that they just sort of happened, and the fact that Pearl Jam was there when they happened is secondary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:51 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Jammer91 wrote:

still, if the whole point of the album was a 'fuck you, we've had enough, take this' but one song on the album was huge and made the rest big, doesn't that song make it the flaw of the album?

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:52 am 
Global Moderator

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Jammer91 wrote:

still, if the whole point of the album was a 'fuck you, we've had enough, take this' but one song on the album was huge and made the rest big, doesn't that song make it the flaw of the album?

the point wasn't to make something unlistenable. that's a fuck you to fans as well. the point was to do it on terms defined by themselves.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:55 am 
Interweb Celebrity

stip wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Jammer91 wrote:

the point wasn't to make something unlistenable. that's a fuck you to fans as well. the point was to do it on terms defined by themselves.

i realize that, but pearl jam was sick of attention and wanted no more, yet put out the poppiest song they've ever had. it's the flaw because it did the opposite of what they wanted the album to do.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:58 am 
Global Moderator

corduroy_blazer wrote:
stip wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Jammer91 wrote:

i realize that, but pearl jam was sick of attention and wanted no more, yet put out the poppiest song they've ever had. it's the flaw because it did the opposite of what they wanted the album to do.

I'm sorry--I'm just not with you on this one. Corduroy is catchy as hell to. They didn't promote betterman or use it to market the album. They just put it on there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:59 am 
Supersonic

McParadigm wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

I don't think the band was functioning enough to be making calculated statements between 94 and 96. That might be why those two records feel like the most ethereal, the most liquid....they other albums are like band records, Who records in some ways....those two are the most Neil Young in that they just sort of happened, and the fact that Pearl Jam was there when they happened is secondary.

How did my reply end up above your post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:00 am 
Global Moderator

McParadigm wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

gremlins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:02 am 
Interweb Celebrity

i'll give it a last try.

ed and co. decided to put out vitalogy as a 'fuck you' to the higher ups and everyone else. this was the end of them dealing with those people. they took direct blows at them with bugs, not for you and corduroy.

but what happens? better man is the poppiest song ever, and execs and radio hosts play it every gosh darn second. in turn, pearl jam remains huge and revered by mtvers and z100ers.

so, instead of their album saying 'fuck you' to these people, it said 'here's a really good pop song, go make money off of us!'

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:02 am 
Supersonic

stip wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

gremlins

Well, DUH. But what kind? the kind Bugs Bunny faced, or the kind that happen when you don't care for your goddamn mogwai?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:16 am 
Force of Nature

corduroy_blazer wrote:
if anyone flips on 'bugs' as a flaw on this album, i'll go nuts. besides 'corduroy', 'bugs' is the defining song on this album.

I'm buying what you're selling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:20 pm 
Stone's Bitch

corduroy_blazer wrote:
i'll give it a last try.

ed and co. decided to put out vitalogy as a 'fuck you' to the higher ups and everyone else. this was the end of them dealing with those people. they took direct blows at them with bugs, not for you and corduroy.

but what happens? better man is the poppiest song ever, and execs and radio hosts play it every gosh darn second. in turn, pearl jam remains huge and revered by mtvers and z100ers.

so, instead of their album saying 'fuck you' to these people, it said 'here's a really good pop song, go make money off of us!'

Dude, seriously, wind your fucking neck in. You've made a half dozen posts about this over four pages.

So what if it's a pop song? It has a catchy melody yet it deals about a destructive relationship. Are you saying they should have made every song wilfully uncommercial? Betterman is no more catchy than Corduroy, Hail, Hail or I Am Mine anyway.

You do know that part of being in a band is playing good music, rather than bopping about telling people to go fuck themselves, don't you?

proud member of team corduroy_blazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:13 pm 
Global Moderator

stuzzo wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
i'll give it a last try.

Dude, seriously, wind your fucking neck in. You've made a half dozen posts about this over four pages.

So what if it's a pop song? It has a catchy melody yet it deals about a destructive relationship. Are you saying they should have made every song wilfully uncommercial? Betterman is no more catchy than Corduroy, Hail, Hail or I Am Mine anyway.

You do know that part of being in a band is playing good music, rather than bopping about telling people to go fuck themselves, don't you?

what makes vitalogy so good is that it was able to tell certain people to go fuck themselves in the context of good music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:42 pm 
Stone's Bitch

stip wrote:
what makes vitalogy so good is that it was able to tell certain people to go fuck themselves in the context of good music.

I agree.

proud member of team corduroy_blazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:02 pm 
a saucerful of secrets

stuzzo wrote:
stip wrote:

I agree.
It's in my top 5 albums of all time. It is, imo, their greatest work. This new album is going to have to be really good to get anywhere near the levels of Vitalogy.

You talkin to me?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam