Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:51 pm 
Global Moderator

Wease wrote:
Some solid lyrics throughout the album and he seems to be getting away from the angst-driven lyrics to go towards more overall socially driven ones.

Ten and Vs. were albums that were both driven by lyrics addressing socail issues. They return to that with Yield. But No Code is entirely driven by themes of introspection. It is easily their most unsocial/apolitical album. The only song that really addresses anything beyond the personal is habit.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:03 pm 
Global Moderator

corduroy_blazer wrote:
i think the only flaw is the placement of off he goes. i love the song, but i don't like it's place on the album. i think they shoulda placed that on the back end where i'm open and around the bend is....

I might like off he goes a bit more if it was near the end of the album.

light_years62103 wrote:

-Habit was a song I always hated until a couple months ago when I was watching the Orlando House of Blues show. WOW did that rock hard. There is a lot of subtlties that I had been missing. The one flaw in this song is the chorus - the vocals are lacking a bit.

The chorus is half of the song. That's what kills habit. Of all pearl jam songs there has probably never been one that emphasized the chorus as much as habit. And the chorus sucks.

Bleeding Me wrote:
My biggest flaw with this album is the production. It is too laid back and underwhelming. I think with the set of songs that they had, which were middle of the road, they really should have injected a little more life and energy into them. I do think most of the songs work very well in the live setting though.

I agree--I like everything on No Code when they do it live.

Angus wrote:
I really don't want to look down on people who prefer Ten & Vs. Sorry if I came over a bit like that. I just prefer this one (& Yield), but I won't say you're less intelligent if you like the first couple of records. :)

I see those kinds of posts around here too sometimes, but it's not you Angus. You always show people respect.

And somone else (rohfe?) said that Smile goes on a bit too long. I agree with that too. I always listen to smile when it comes on, and enjoy it, but I usually skip to the next song before it ends.

And eelcome to the board winner :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:05 pm 
Force of Nature

Lots of great posts here folks, it's nice to see some thought going into these posts. It makes for a REAL LONG thread to read. :D

Ok, No Code ... it's my favorite PJ record for many reasons (most of which have been listed above). Ed was on top of his game lyrically, and the album brims with experimentation. Yes, the band could have written another Vitalogy, but where's the fun in that? This is an album that demands your full attention, otherwise you're bound to miss something. I think that's a good thing.

Putting 'Hail, Hail' out as the first single could have really given this album a boost in sales, but they choose the road less travelled ... IF there's a flaw, that would be it. Alot of people just didn't hear this album and quit listening to this band... which is a shame, because the next record is just as good (in a completely different way).

We miss you Jack Irons :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:47 pm 
Unthought Known

Doctorb wrote:
Lots of great posts here folks, it's nice to see some thought going into these posts. It makes for a REAL LONG thread to read. :D

Ok, No Code ... it's my favorite PJ record for many reasons (most of which have been listed above). Ed was on top of his game lyrically, and the album brims with experimentation. Yes, the band could have written another Vitalogy, but where's the fun in that? This is an album that demands your full attention, otherwise you're bound to miss something. I think that's a good thing.

Putting 'Hail, Hail' out as the first single could have really given this album a boost in sales, but they choose the road less travelled ... IF there's a flaw, that would be it. Alot of people just didn't hear this album and quit listening to this band... which is a shame, because the next record is just as good (in a completely different way).

Nice post!

I miss Jack too; Pearl Jam had a whole different vibe w/ him. I've said this a million times, and here it is again....Matt is the better overall drummer, but Jack is the better drummer with Pearl Jam. As evidence I submit Mirror Ball, No Code, and Yield.

The only flaw I have w/ No Code is "I'm Open". Other than that it's a near flawless album IMO, and Pearl Jam's best to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:54 pm 
Stone's Bitch

A flaw on No Code? For me, No Code was the beginning of a beautiful thing. I listened to Pearl Jam before this album but never baught any albums, I would barrow my sisters or listen to the radio. This album changed everything. I became a diehard fan after this. Buying everything that I could. The way I see it this album is like a concert, Openning up slow with sometimes and then jumpping to a heavy rocker (Hail, Hail) This album leaped from what many thought should be the paved path PJ should follow, but had less experimentation then Vitology. With this album we had music and nothing but music, no more bugs, or songs with out words, or Hey foxymophandlemama. Now where Vitology stayed somewhat true to early PJ, No Code Didn't. Many didn't like the change. I loved this albuma nd always will and if I had to pick a flaw it would be not including the songs that didnt make it onto the album, What was already a masterpeice could have been better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:37 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i remebrer buying this one with the feeling that was going to be the worst album of all....i mean people was saying that when it came...
but i love it when i heard it...for a long time No Code was my favorite pj album of all...
i love the contrast between quiet songs and rock and roll...i mean going from the silent Sometimes to Hail Hail is just beautiful...
never dig who you are that much and in my tree is a song i aprecciate now...
the same with songs like Smile...

there are some really cool songs here.... red mosquito is a fucking hendrix type of song with the band rocking really hard...i love how the guitars sound so loud!!

present tense maybe one of the most elaborated songs they have written...the structure is very good and the lyrics are a masterpiece...it became my favorite song of the whole record...
habit is a good punk song...i like he lyric...and i liked off he goes when i first heard it even tough i have never listened to it again...
i dont like the ending of the record...mankind is a nice song , but then we have im open which seems something out of vitalogy and around the bend which is a cool b side....but not a good closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:54 pm 
Mike's Maniac

Doctorb wrote:

Great post among many good ones imo. 8)

I don't have a favorite album - i love them all. What makes No Code special to me is that it was the first one i didn't get right away. I find it interesting that many of you seem to have a hard time with No Code as well(whereas Ten, Vs. and Vitalogy were love at first sight).

Yield i found at least as challenging and ended up loving it at least as much as No Code...However, my approach to Yield was strongly influenced by my experience with No Code - i knew how challenging PJ can be and how rewarding it is to explore each new song.

If there's a flaw on No Code, i'd say it's the flow - it's not excactly cohesive...

But i can understand most of the criticism that has been posted. No Code is as fragile as it is introspective. Andto claim that people "lack the capacity to appreciate it" if they happen to prefer the earlier stuff seems really simplistic and elitist to me (however, i can understand that somebody might write something that comes across like that in the heat of the moment...) But :peace: and respect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
Wease wrote:
Some solid lyrics throughout the album and he seems to be getting away from the angst-driven lyrics to go towards more overall socially driven ones.

Ten and Vs. were albums that were both driven by lyrics addressing socail issues. They return to that with Yield. But No Code is entirely driven by themes of introspection. It is easily their most unsocial/apolitical album. The only song that really addresses anything beyond the personal is habit.

You're right, I was thinking of Yield.

I Got Memories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:39 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Wease wrote:
stip wrote:
Wease wrote:

i think yield is more of a mix and not solely on social issues.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 pm 
Unthought Known

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Wease wrote:
stip wrote:
Wease wrote:

Yield = Ten, Vs., Vitalogy, & No Code all rolled up together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:49 pm 
Global Moderator

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Wease wrote:
stip wrote:
Wease wrote:

sure--they've never had an album devoted soley to social issues. Vs. comes the closest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:52 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

stip wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Wease wrote:
stip wrote:
Wease wrote:

sure--they've never had an album devoted soley to social issues. Vs. comes the closest.

i think ten comes closer. there are a few songs - go, blood, elderly woman among them - that seem to be personal issues.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:53 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

back to no code.

who the hell said smile 'drags on'? what drugs do you take?

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:55 pm 
Unthought Known

corduroy_blazer wrote:
back to no code.

I love Smile, and have yet to get it live :evil:

Ideal closer for me...Smile, SOLAT, Fucking Up

With Smile, it was quite obvious they just got done hangin' w/ Mr. Young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:55 pm 
Global Moderator

corduroy_blazer wrote:
back to no code.

I don't take any drugs. Maybe that's the problem.

There isn't very much going on in Smile beyond a nice sentiment. It's not the greatest riff and it kind of plods along. I love the I miss you already part, but if smile lost 20 or 30 seconds it'd be even stronger. This is not only a criticism of smile. PJ has a few songs that could be improved by chopping off some time. Not For You, Off He goes and WMA are some others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:57 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

darth_vedder wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
back to no code.

I love Smile, and have yet to get it live :evil:

With Smile, it was quite obvious they just got done hangin' w/ Mr. Young.

i feel you. i'd love to hear those three as the last three songs at a show. wow.

i haven't heard smile yet :cry:

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:58 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

stip wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
back to no code.

I don't take any drugs. Maybe that's the problem.

There isn't very much going on in Smile beyond a nice sentiment. It's not the greatest riff and it kind of plods along. I love the I miss you already part, but if smile lost 20 or 30 seconds it'd be even stronger. This is not only a criticism of smile. PJ has a few songs that could be improved by chopping off some time. Not For You, Off He goes and WMA are some others.

really? jesus, i think smile has catchier music than WWS.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:45 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

darth_vedder wrote:

Is SOLAT/Smile/RITFW close enough to come brag about it? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:00 pm 
Global Moderator

corduroy_blazer wrote:
stip wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Wease wrote:
stip wrote:
Wease wrote:

i think ten comes closer. there are a few songs - go, blood, elderly woman among them - that seem to be personal issues.

I always thought go was about transmitting an STD like aids. Blood is about the relationship between artists and the media. I think both of those are personal issues. You're right about elderly woman though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:01 pm 
Unthought Known

I thought Go was about a car engine

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam