Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:39 am 
Force of Nature

Quote:
Without the internet how did anyone even know when an album was coming out? I'm 25 and I've already forgotten what it was like, although I didn't really get into music until about 1995 and PJ in 1998.

I remember reading the paper a few weeks before VS came out, but usually you heard the first single on the radio.

Post subject: Re: Pre-Internet Days
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:49 am 
BLOODY FKKN RED TEAM FAN

PleasePJRock! wrote:
Pre Internet days, what Pearl Jam single had the most profound impact on you the first time you heard it? I remember everyplace I have been the first time a heard there singles on the radio. My fav was "Spin The Black Circle"

Does any one miss the days where you were just around a radio and you heard a new Pearl Jam song? I miss it!

Just think if there would have been the internet we would have known that Neil Young was going to play with Pearl Jam at the award show and it would not have been such a shock. Back then it was to me. That was a un spoiled moment.

What the Fuck is the internet?

J88Ryan everywhere else.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:07 am 
Stone's Bitch

J38ryan wrote:
PleasePJRock! wrote:
Pre Internet days, what Pearl Jam single had the most profound impact on you the first time you heard it? I remember everyplace I have been the first time a heard there singles on the radio. My fav was "Spin The Black Circle"

Does any one miss the days where you were just around a radio and you heard a new Pearl Jam song? I miss it!

Just think if there would have been the internet we would have known that Neil Young was going to play with Pearl Jam at the award show and it would not have been such a shock. Back then it was to me. That was a un spoiled moment.

What the Fuck is the internet?

Is the less know name some freaks have for the interweb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:15 am 
Force of Nature

PleasePJRock! wrote:

I heard Daughter on the radio back in '93/'94 and my buddy said "Is that Metallica?" I laughed and dubbed him my Vs....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:40 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

evenflow . gd ol' times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:47 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

the only thing close to this happened to me today that i thought was funny

i went into sanity to get the new album and they were playing gone! i was so happy i started singing along. i thought it was funny because nobody would have known what the fuck the song was cos it was new to them. then of course wasted reprise came on next and i had to sing too :D and i had a good chat with the check-out guy about pearl jam

denverapolis wrote:
fishbob is the motherfucking man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:50 am 
Force of Nature

Jeremy was everywhere...

But I heard Alive before that. The KISW guy said something that haunts me to this day about "...and this the band who just whooped ass on battle of the bands in Seattle..."

I was very impressed with the solo in Alive. ANd then I loved the harmonics in Jeremy :)

What really threw me was the fact that I was lamenting the fact that a little while prior to that Andrew Wood had died, and this KILLER new band I had fell in love with had ceased to exist. Yeah I had already bought 'Apple'...

Mojo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:54 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

I recall being nearly out of the broadcast area of the Lexington rock station that was playing "Who You Are" for the first time, so I pulled off to the side of the road to get a better signal.

Ahh, the good old days when PJ got airplay in Kentucky:)

- Bill Hicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:01 am 
Force of Nature

Leatherman was the first song that I had downloaded from the Internet....back in Bombay, we had a Shell A/c (UNIX Based Internet w/o graphics & colors)....had to punch in a bunch of stupid commands to download stuff at 1 kbps speeds :oops:

I remember that feeling when I almost jumped from my seat all excited about that song. I had thought Pearl Jam were the greatest, and now I endorse that feeling :D

The only source of info was MTV or an Indian Rock Magazine - Rock Street Journal (RSJ as we used to call it). :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:29 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

Surprising enough I think MTV beat rock radio to the punch playing Pearl Jam's Alive.
Now that was good ole days when you could watch MTV longer than 2.3 seconds without having to throw up.
I remember there suito alternative vj Lewis Largent! He tied the flannel around his waist , had the docks, the days!!
After buying Ten and not getting enough then I heard "Apple" from a friend playing basketball in his drive way.
Still to this day "Man of Golden Words" is one of my favorite songs of all times.
I was lucky enough to hear Pearl Jam play C.O.T with Brendan O'Brien playing keyboard on the opening on Chloe Dancer at HI Fi Buys.
I would fuck myself raw with a chainsaw if I heard them play MOGW.!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:36 am 
Got Some

STBC is the first new song I remember being released but I was very underwhelmed by that song.

The one I remember very well is Who You Are. I had been on vacation, came home and found the single. Brought it home and was amazed. So different and so great. A few nights later the radio station broadcast the entire album and I absolutely wore out the tape I recorded it on until the album itself came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:49 am 
Force of Nature

Ensign9 wrote:
Jeremy was probably the first Pearl Jam song I ever heard--on the radio. Memories of middle school come flooding back.

Same here, just replace Jeremy with Alive.

6/2/2003-Irvine, Ca

6/5/2003- San Diego, Ca

7/7/2006-San Diego, Ca
7/9/2006-Los Angeles, Ca
7/10/2006-Los Angeles, Ca
10/7/2009- Universal City, Ca
10/9/2009- San Diego, Ca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:43 pm 
Master of Meh

(The thread had "internet" in the title, close enough.)

Earliest mention of Pearl Jam on the internet?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rock ... e5c5e8f620

Quote:
Josh Kundert
Oct 4 1991, 5:58 am

still waiting for pepper concert dates.
starting to get scared because they play in iowa on the18th and it is the second already.
please post if found out. thanx.
ciao,

Quote:
tabn3
Oct 4 1991, 7:03 pm

Well, you were almost right. They will be in Ames, Iowa at Stephens Auditorium on Saturday, October 19, just in case you plan on going. Opening bands are Smashing Pumpkins and some other band called Pearl Jam. I've never heard of PJ before; could someone tell me something/anything about them?

--Dan M.

More early mentions from that run of shows supporting RHCP (the first one made me laugh):

Quote:
Christopher Blaise
Nov 6 1991, 10:52 am

Saw them this past Saturday (Nov 2) in Burlington, Vt.

Pearl Jam (eh...) and Smashing Pumpkins (great!) opened up for 'em.

They played for an hour and a 1/2 had played a good mix of songs from all of their albums. Cool deal...see 'em if you can!

TTYL Chris

Quote:
Christian X Losinger
Nov 7 1991, 6:58 am

(Christopher Blaise) writes:
> Pearl Jam (eh...) and Smashing Pumpkins (great!) opened up for 'em.

The albums these two groups have out do not do them justice. Smashing Pumpkins put on an incredibly hard show. The singer is a trip to watch. Check out Pearl Jam's singer too. He jumped from a stack of three monitors onto a stage monitor and kept singing. WHat a maniac. Besides the guitar player playing behind his head (cheesy), the rest of the show was crazy - they jumped around like monkeys and threw stuff around. They had more fun than the CPeppers ever thought of having.
Go see em...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

McCready being called cheesy from day 1. LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 pm 
On the bright side

Glory's Door

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:53 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Nice one, spenno.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:55 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Dash wrote:
Tremor Christ was the first new song i heard on the radio

First time I heard this was on the below bootleg, prior to the release of Vitalogy:

I remember being very happy with the way it turned out in the studio.

This was, of course, pre-internet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:46 am 
Force of Nature

Although I was already a big fan, hearing I Got Id on the radio in late 95 is memorable.

I also remember buying the Go cd single which came out before Vs. hit stores. Elderly Woman (acoustic) blew me away and I played it so many times that finally hearing the "full band" album version seemed almost like the alternate take of the song.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 am 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

I'd been a fan since prior to No Code, but the first thing that I recall not being ready for was hearing Given To Fly on the radio. My girlfriend and I were driving to a party and I never listened to the radio because Tucson radio sucks ass. But for whatever reason she had the radio on, I'm sure I put on a fight, then Given To Fly came on. I went nuts and couldn't stop talking about it. We went to some lame ass party where everyone loved rap music and they all hated me. One of my most vivid memories of that era.

http://www.myspace.com/daysunfold

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:40 am 
Got Some

I walked into Highway Pizza in State College, Pennsylvania sometime in the summer of 1994 and everybody inside (10-15 people) was singing along loudly to the acoustic version of "Elderly Woman", like it was an olde time saloon. I remember thinking, "that's really gay".

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam