Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Pre-Internet Days
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:21 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

Pre Internet days, what Pearl Jam single had the most profound impact on you the first time you heard it? I remember everyplace I have been the first time a heard there singles on the radio. My fav was "Spin The Black Circle"

Does any one miss the days where you were just around a radio and you heard a new Pearl Jam song? I miss it!

Just think if there would have been the internet we would have known that Neil Young was going to play with Pearl Jam at the award show and it would not have been such a shock. Back then it was to me. That was a un spoiled moment.

Post subject: Re: Pre-Internet Days
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:30 am 
Global Moderator

PleasePJRock! wrote:
Pre Internet days, what Pearl Jam single had the most profound impact on you the first time you heard it? I remember everyplace I have been the first time a heard there singles on the radio. My fav was "Spin The Black Circle"

Does any one miss the days where you were just around a radio and you heard a new Pearl Jam song? I miss it!

Just think if there would have been the internet we would have known that Neil Young was going to play with Pearl Jam at the award show and it would not have been such a shock. Back then it was to me. That was a un spoiled moment.

I usually heard the songs first when they released the single. Who you are had a major impact but in a bad way. Do the evolution was the most striking new pearl jam on the radio I had had....

Prior to hearing WWS on the radio for the first time. I remember exactly where I was an how fucking excited I was after I heard it. My wife called right after (I was house sitting for my parents) and I couldn't even talk to her. i was bouncing off the walls.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:31 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Who You Are

I recorded that one off the radio and popped it into whatever tapedeck was available.

I still love that song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:36 am 
Banned from the Pit

alive

yeah.... im old 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:46 am 
Former PJ Drummer

It was Spin the Black Circle for me too. I remember being in my mom's car while she went into the pharmacy and when it came on I was floored. I couldn't believe they played a song that agressive on our local rock station. I don't listen to much radio, so after that it was Wishlist. I had stopped listening to PJ for a few years and hearing this was what slowly brought me back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:47 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Jeremy was probably the first Pearl Jam song I ever heard--on the radio. Memories of middle school come flooding back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:52 am 
Johnny Guitar

Without the internet how did anyone even know when an album was coming out? I'm 25 and I've already forgotten what it was like, although I didn't really get into music until about 1995 and PJ in 1998.

Did someone from the Tenclub call you and let you know?
"Hey Steve, this is Tim from the Tenclub. Yeah I'm good, thanks. Uh just wanted to let you know that Pearl Jam's new cd called No Code will be in stores on Tuesday. No I'm not shitting you. If you want I can play you a new song. Ok hold on, let me get the cd player and I'll hold it up to the phone for you. Nah it's no problem man. Glad to do it. Alright I got more calls to make. Later."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:53 am 
Former PJ Drummer

jrut81 wrote:
Without the internet how did anyone even know when an album was coming out? I'm 25 and I've already forgotten what it was like, although I didn't really get into music until about 1995 and PJ in 1998.

"Hey Steve, this is Tim from the Tenclub. Yeah I'm good, thanks. Uh just wanted to let you know that Pearl Jam's new cd called No Code will be in stores on Tuesday. No I'm not shitting you. If you want I can play you a new song. Ok hold on, let me get the cd player and I'll hold it up to the phone for you. Nah it's no problem man. Glad to do it. Alright I got more calls to make. Later."

Frequent visits to the record store were the only real way. The one i used to go to would have a chalkboard with all of the upcoming releases written on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:00 am 
Global Moderator

MF wrote:
jrut81 wrote:

Frequent visits to the record store were the only real way. The one i used to go to would have a chalkboard with all of the upcoming releases written on it.

music magazines were a lot more important too. and you needed less gossip to qualify as in the know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:00 am 
Banned from the Pit

first time i heard evenflow was on mtv, both song and video blew me away. the jeremy at the 92 mtv awards was another good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:05 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

jrut81 wrote:

Rolling Stone Magazine. did press on the band if a new record out. Plus they had a section that stated the new realease's. Like the other guy said chalkboards. Plus if you dug the band you just new, also there was MTV, they once supported hard rock.
I was talking about though the shock and excitment if you feel hearing a new Pearl Jam song out of nowwhere and bouncing off the walls though, like some else stated. The point was you did not know. That was the excitment!

Last edited by PleasePJRock! on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:06 am 
Global Moderator

the change wasn't as dramatic as how the internet changed wrestling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:07 am 
Camden Crew

who you are

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:12 am 
Mike's Maniac
 WWW  YIM  Profile

summer recreation "camp" where we always had a boombox blasting (what was) radio 104 or wccc 106.9 and jeremy was on ALL the time. that's how i first got into them. i was 10 and loved that song. then heard Alive and it started though from vitalogy til the GTF single i didn't really pay much attention. then i snapped back into coherence and have been entrenched ever since.

09.13.98 Hartford, 04.11.03 West Palm Beach, 07.08.03 NYC, 07.09.03 NYC, 07.14.03 Holmdel, 10.01.04 Reading, 10.03.05 Philadelphia, 07.07.06 San Diego, 07.09.06 LA, 07.10.06 LA, 09.30.09 LA, 10.01.09 LA, 10.06.09 LA, 10.07.09 LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:13 am 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:

Vinnie Mac's acquisition of the WCW and ECW ruined it more, dont you think? There now is not anymore compettion. At least during the Monday Night Wars both brands WWE and WCW tired to swerve the fans that were on the internet. Bands need to do more of that. Make a fake record, leak it, and on its drop date have a whole new record out! It would take time and I am sure has been done, but it would be neat from a large scaled band like Pearl Jam.
Completely fuck with us, would be welcomed in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:14 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Bugs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:17 am 
Former PJ Drummer

stip wrote:

Unless the internet made wrestling less gay, then i still want nothing to do with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:18 am 
Pork Chop

Tremor Christ was the first new song i heard on the radio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:19 am 
a saucerful of secrets

Alive, just blew me away. I bought it on wax cylinder. I broke the wind up handle though, Pater wasn't too impressed. I had to recite my conjunctive verbs in Latin, ad infinitum.

You talkin to me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:21 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I think I heard I Got Shit on the radio first...or maybe something off of Vitalogy, I can't remember

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam