Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Rate Parting Ways
5 Stars: Achingly Beautiful 47%  47%  [ 105 ]
4 Stars: Touching 30%  30%  [ 66 ]
3 Stars: A Nice Song 15%  15%  [ 35 ]
2 Stars: I'm just not feeling it 5%  5%  [ 11 ]
1 Star: Achingly bad 0%  0%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 219
 Post subject: SOTM: They've been closed to hide the flames....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:07 pm 
Global Moderator

Parting Ways

Behind her eyes there's curtains...
And they've been closed to hide the flames,... remains...

She knows... their future's burning,
But she can smile just the same, same...

And though her mood is fine today
There's a fear they'll soon be parting ways

Standing, like a statue
A chin of stone, a heart of clay, hey...

And though he's too big a man to say
There's a fear they'll soon be parting ways

Drifiting away,... Drifting away,... Drifting away...
Drifiting away,... Drifting away,... Drifting away...

Previous Songs of the Moment
In My Tree
Red Mosquito
Porch
I Got Id
Release
Do The Evolution
Breath
Corduroy
Elderly Woman...
Leash
Hail Hail
Grievance
Love Boat Captain
Even Flow
Black Red Yellow
In Hiding
Can't Keep
Indifference
Insignificance
Whipping
Black
Smile
Push Me Pull Me
Rats
God's Dice
All or None
Yellow Ledbetter
Last Exit
Who You Are
Rearview Mirror
Hold On
Present Tense
Light Years
Alive
Brain of J
Thumbing My Way
Hard to Imagine
Tremor Christ
Rival
Animal
Lukin
You Are
betterman
Given to Fly
Once
Low Light

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Last edited by stip on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:08 pm 
Global Moderator

This song is typical of much of the post Vitalogy catalogue (for me) in that it has all the makings of a 5 star song and just falls short. The lyrics are absolutely gorgeous (although I wish there were more of them), the music is good—coldly beautiful and distant and receding, like a dying love (although there are times it feels a bit too much like Long Road), and Eddie’s vocals are really beautiful—gentle, sad, wistful, but the total is not quite equal to the sum of its parts. This might be a Binaural production issue, because it is incredible live. Very tasteful use of the strings too. I wish they’d do more of that. This is a 3.5 star song on the record, but it is really good live so I’ll give it a 4.

Almost every line here is magnificent. You get the sense of two people sitting and trying to communicate with each other, but they are ultimately unable to find that connection. They’re looking for it, but they can feel it slipping away. They look into each other’s eyes but they find no warmth or light, just the curtains obscuring them. The fire is still there, but it is lost to him. Eddie does a nice job carrying the fire imagery over—rather than the flames and the heat sparking their passion now, that fire is consuming the future they would have had together. She pretends that things are okay, as does he. He stands there pretending nothing is wrong, but inside he is soft, malleable, vulnerable. The outside is hard stone, but the inside is soft clay. Just like with her fire, there is something beneath that she can work with, but he keeps it hidden.

That’s the tragedy of the song. There is no anger, just distance and a sort of helpless feeling of regret. They’re so close, and you get the sense that if they could just reach for each other they could fix everything. But neither one has the courage or (even sadder) the desire to make the move back towards each other. They both fear the vulnerability that comes with love and intimacy. The curtains are drawn, and the armor is up as they sit and watch each other slowly drifting away….

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:11 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

My favorite song on Binaural. 5 stars, no questions asked. It gives me chills every time I hear it. They need to play this one more live on the 2nd leg of the tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:12 pm 
Camden Crew

one of pj's best songs ever. gives me chills every time i hear it also.

5 stars easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:45 pm 
Reissued

5 stars on record, 6 stars in concert. beautiful words, beautiful chord progression, beautiful build and climax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:45 pm 
Back from the dead

My favorite from Binaural. 5 all the way :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:50 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I've been where this song is talking about. It's very confusing and unsettling. But, you have to accept things for the way they are, not how you would want them to be. I have problems with this sometimes. I like to live in my own world, which isn't always good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:58 pm 
Force of Nature

stip wrote:
That’s the tragedy of the song. There is no anger, just distance and a sort of helpless feeling of regret. They’re so close, and you get the sense that if they could just reach for each other they could fix everything. But neither one has the courage or (even sadder) the desire to make the move back towards each other. They both fear the vulnerability that comes with love and intimacy. The curtains are drawn, and the armor is up as they sit and watch each other slowly drifting away….

Nicely said. I agree, it's a great song in theory but I can't give it 5, I say it's a 4. The production is weak and I agree it sounds a bit too much like Long Road. But this is a great example of a "mature" PJ song that really deserves the "mature" tag. As you noted, there's no angry break up or melodrama. It's great example of Eddie's downplayed vocal performance just this reason. I have to wonder how much of this was inspired by his own seperation and divorce.

The most intersting aspect of this song for me is what it is that disables them from reaching out to each other. Nothing dramatic has forced either of their hands, there is this very sad resignation to the song that everyone drifts away. I don't get the feeling that as you said they could reconnect if they chose to. I've always gotten the feeling that "drifting away" is simply the end result they have always been afraid of facing even though were once close. It's by far the saddest closer of any PJ record for this very reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:25 pm 
Team Binaural

Cal Varnsen wrote:
one of pj's best songs ever. gives me chills every time i hear it also.

5 stars easy.

Cal is absolutely right, one of the pj's best ever. As soon as Soon Forget ends, Parting Ways just hits you quietly, but full force.
The lyrics are beautiful. I have often refered to this song as a masterpiece and still think it is. It's amazing how just a few lines can paint such a strong and emotional picture. One of the rare songs by any artist that each time I listen to it, I always have to kind of stop and soak it all in and truly listen to the entire song.
I prefer the 03 versions just a bit more b/c most of the 2000 versions were too loud/guitar driven at end. Although, Detroit 2000 is excellent. I really like Nashville 03.

Love it, love it love it. Another song off Binaural that is just stellar.

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:33 pm 
Got Some

Absolutely one of my favorite pj songs. The musics feels like the swell of ocean waves drifting away in the same way the couple is. The lyrics are PERFECt (and i dont say that lightly). Just gorgeous. I just heard this in Grand Rapids and have been lucky enough to hear this song performed live 5 times, including the (at least for me) heart-stopping premiere in Detroit '00.

Such a gorgeous sad song. As sad as black, almost sadder in way. perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:43 pm 
Force of Nature

in my top 5 favorite pearl jam songs of all time. 5 stars all the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:46 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I agree with almost everyone here: this is a top 10 Pearl Jam song. Much like Indifference or Hard To Imagine, so much is said here with so few words.

I particularly love Ed's vocal delivery here, there's something perfect about the way he sings "drifting away....."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:46 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 YIM  Profile

I gave it 5 stars. This is one of my favs for sure. You know even if you're in a relationship for any amount of time, you've felt this way, even if you are still together. This moment captured in this song, the moment a person goes through when you realize things can never be the same, is captured beautifully. There's a hesitation in these lyrics that I love. It's coming, but the dread is there also. I really love this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:20 pm 
Global Moderator

and to think elderly woman beat this in round I of march madness (I voted for elderly woman :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:23 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i have to agree with everyone here. this song it just gets me. it's gorgeous and it pulls at ever heart string. and the end "driting away" over and over. oh god. i justmy breath shortening and my eyes close and it's just heartbreaking.

although i do have something funny to add.

my friend and i were driving to a chicago show in support of the binaural tour and we were listening to the cd. she hadn't heard the cd yet (though she's a fan of yield, earlier stuff and etc) and this song came on. i was like "dude, you gotta listen to this song, really! LIKE REALLY!

"Behind her eyes there's curtains"

she says, "ASS CURTAINS?" what did he say?!?!?! because he just smoothly runs the words together so easily and sometimes when you aren't used tto ed's vocals all the time (and sometimes when you are) you misinterpret them. so that was hilarious. but now thats the only thing i can think of when i hear that line now and i told her i hate her for it and she is NEVER to tell me waht she thinks any lyric is ever again.

but she does love the song, even though she giggles during "eyes there's curtains"

2004-asheville
2005-toronto, borgata 1, philly
2006-chi x2, cincy, san deigo, la x2
2008-milwakee (ed)
2009-nashville x2 (ed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:30 pm 
Got Some

This is a really great song but for me I prefer it live as with most of the songs on Binaural. This is one of the few songs from Binaural that I do like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:50 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

drifting awaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

5 stars.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:56 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

stip wrote:
and to think elderly woman beat this in round I of march madness (I voted for elderly woman :) )

I' sure I voted for Small Town also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:58 pm 
Stone's Bitch

5 stars easily. As Jim Rome would put it...RACK EM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:55 am 
Stone's Butch

Rack me up for a 5 too, this is a masterpiece.
Like has been said before, the lyrics are brillant and the 'drifting awaaaay' makes me float. I think I like it better in the studio, although the TB2000 version is unbelieveable.
The 7 Worlds Collide version is to be avoided for me though.

Has this song ever closed a live set?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam