Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate World Wide Suicide
5 Stars: A Masterpiece 19%  19%  [ 32 ]
4 Stars: strong song 56%  56%  [ 91 ]
3 Stars: Average for Pearl jam 17%  17%  [ 29 ]
2 Stars: Just not feeling it 4%  4%  [ 8 ]
1 Star: This song sucks 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 162
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:43 pm 
Force of Nature

Pearl Jam's best song since Vitalogy and one of the few since the early days that just clicked the first time I heard it. I think after hearing WWS that my expectations for Avocado were extremely high and I was kind of disappointed that none of the other songs reached WWS territory.

I always love it when Pearl Jam goes for the big hooks and this song definitely has 'em. I'd say it's a 4.5 star song, but just because it's the best they've done in 12 years I'll give it 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:07 pm 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

nice fast rockin song, 4 stars

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

Post subject: "
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:31 pm 
Force of Nature

5 stars. Loved when when I first heard and was the first taste of a newling invigorated PJ. I still love it, when I read the title for the SOTM I got and excited finishing the line "Thought becomes numb and naive." What I love is that it gets my personal frustration about the war which is that everyone will say war is wrong but still we allow it to happen. Sounds kind of simple and the song is kind of saying "what the fuck?!"

It has this dance quality like DTE or State of Love and Trust, which I love. There's nothing better than singing a mad lyric like "it's a worldwide suicide" over a dance beat. It has that quality Eddie mentioned about having a nice seat watching as teh world ends. The band actually feels this way and explians the new found energy and immediacy.

I've heard mediocre versions live but they were early, SNL and the promo video (the guy with the ball) but everything since then sounds outstading. Listen to Grand Rapids 06, it's great. He sounds like a crazy preacher the way he clearly articulates everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:40 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome

5 stars

denverapolis wrote:
fishbob is the motherfucking man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:59 pm 
Founding Bitch

A 4.5 star song. I remember having the biggest smile on my face when I heard the crappy radio rip back in March. :D

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:02 am 
Global Moderator

Juvenal wrote:
A 4.5 star song. I remember having the biggest smile on my face when I heard the crappy radio rip back in March. :D

Me too. I was housesitting at my parents place and Hilary called right after I heard it and I basically couldn't pay attention to anything she was saying because I was so excited. I was actually pacing.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:19 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

Great single and great song. My brother served in Iraq and I'll be completely honest here and say if I heard this song while he was over there, it would have broken me. Ed's writing has never been better and for such a catchy pop song, the themes and issues he sings about are horrible. My heart goes out to any of those who hear this song and are reminded of losing a loved one. God spared my brother, so I can look at the song much more objectively because of such.

Lyrically this song is what Yellow Ledbetter should have been. Ed was young when he wrote YL and had the right intentions, but it wasn't fully realized. America was a lot different then, so all is forgiven. But this time around, Ed nailed it.

I've spoken with mothers, wives and daughters who have lost their respective men in the current war, and whenever I show them the lyrics of this song, their eyes well up. The lyric I've found that people most relate to is "tells us to pray while the devil's on his shoulder." Bushleaguer was an intentional attack on "W," but this song does it much better by going about it in a roundabout way.

4 stars. It's not a great song, but it's message is clear and cuts straight to the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:42 am 
Force of Nature

To be honest, I didnt like this when I first heard it, long before the release :lol: , but once I got to know it and the lyrics and get a grip of the melody it grew immensly. I love it and will never tire of it, 4 stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:19 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
My one critique is with the 'nothing for to say' line. What the hell does that mean Eddie? Edit your god damned songs.

I think this lyric means that there's a lot being said regarding the war, excuses, etc, but there is no positive outcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:10 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

LostDog1079 wrote:
I gave it a 5... the best first single for an album that PJ has put out ever.

I'd give that award to Given to Fly, I'm sure Angus agrees with me :)

I gave it a 4, a rocking song with good lyrics.

Proud member of the Copenhagen Fap Crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:13 pm 
Global Moderator

iceagecoming wrote:
stip wrote:
My one critique is with the 'nothing for to say' line. What the hell does that mean Eddie? Edit your god damned songs.

I think this lyric means that there's a lot being said regarding the war, excuses, etc, but there is no positive outcome.

I think that's the sentiment, but 'nothing for to say' has no subject. Nothing for him to say, nothing for us to say, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:19 pm 
Stone's Butch

Best first single off an album??? No sir...GTF holds that but this is the first single ive heard in regular play since I became a huge fan so it holds a good place in my heart. The video they put out onto our local music station sucks though....whats up with that jugglar? (sp). Lyrics dont do jack shit for me as a New Zealander whos far removed from the US situation, its only the Army Reserve lyrics that really get to me due to Damiens input.
Thats enough negative for me, WWS is a hell of a song. I think this song got so many people back into the Pearl Jam mood, heaps of my friends said to me "wow thats a cool song when did they start making good music again"....If it takes that to get people back to the music then hallejuah. 5 stars, because its brought my mates back to the best band in the world and I love it live. I like it later in the live sets, 2nd or 3rd song up doesnt do it justice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:51 pm 
Stone's Bitch

4 stars

This song kicked off my love for this record. Great lyrics and great guitar. The only thing thats keeps it from being 5 stars is the ok chorus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:32 pm 
Supersonic

stip wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
stip wrote:

I think that's the sentiment, but 'nothing for to say' has no subject. Nothing for him to say, nothing for us to say, etc.

Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:45 pm 
Force of Nature

McParadigm wrote:
stip wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
stip wrote:

Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain.

America, "Horse With No Name." What do I win?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:48 pm 
Founding Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I didn't like the vocals live the first few times I heard the song (SNL, Letterman), but Ed nailed it last night.

I remember hearing it for the first time and being like :shock: throughout the entire song. I was hoping that the rest of the album was going to be this good....and it was. I fell in love with those crazy guitar sounds in the beginning, it was like nothing I had ever heard before.

I get really fired up when Ed belts out another, another WAAAAAAAAAY.

4.5/5

At night I drink myself to sleep and pretend
I don't care that you're not here with me
Cause it's so much easier to handle
all my problems if I'm too far out to sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:15 am 
Stone's Bitch

i personally love this song...it brought me in on the first listen and ive loved it ever since...5 stars for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:15 pm 
Stone's Bitch

this has been a really slow SOTM....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:35 pm 
Global Moderator

giventofly_88 wrote:
this has been a really slow SOTM....

I was worried that the avocado ones would be slow. But I didn't have time to write a new entry for this weeks so I went with something i already talked about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:10 am 
Winner: 2006 Pearl Jam Cover Contest
 WWW  Profile

I gotta say, this song rocks, but I don't think it's the strongest written song on the record, not by a long shot.

I feel like the chorus lyrics are kinda shoehorned in there. How is the whole world involved? Why is that never explained? And of course the "nothing for" verse lyrics that were brought up earlier. But then again, what the fuck does "even flow..." mean? It's only when I deliberately think about the words that they bother me. Fortunately, the emotions and music behind those words are strong enough to drive the song...

Musically, i think it's a really solid tune...I, too, had a big smile on my face on first listen :D The only weak spot for me is the bridge before Eddie sings...really boring. It wouldn't have taken much to have the guitars doing something more interesting.

I gave it a 3...to rate it any higher would put it under classic status for the band, and I just don't think it's as good as, say, Hail Hail or Given To Fly. I like, but don't love.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam