Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate Of A Girl
5 Stars: A Masterpiece 32%  32%  [ 49 ]
4 Stars: Really Good Song 41%  41%  [ 63 ]
3 Stars: Solid song 21%  21%  [ 32 ]
2 Stars: Subpar 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
1 Star: How did this make it on while Sweet Lou didn't? 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 152
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:47 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

oh yeah, i love this song specially because it was the very first song i heard live, and i will never going to forget that beautiful moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:13 am 
Force of Nature

I love Of The Girl. I am listening to it right now.
I have loved it since the very first time I heard it, which was at Benaroya Hall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:12 am 
Johnny Guitar

4 stars. I think the analysis of the lyrics at the begining was quite good. I feel this song is like HTI in that it is greater than the sum of its parts. I think the music is great but it is hard to explain why (the bluesy feel I guess). It is my favorite opener.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:21 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

Four stars for me though right now it's acting more like a five star song for me. Great song, great write-up Junco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:24 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

God, I love this song especially live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:18 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I don't really understand the love for this song.

It seems that Pearl Jam was in on the ground floor of a type of ballad that uses short, sharply demarcated vocal lines that result in truncated lyrical content and a characteristic halting quality that limits vocal expressiveness.

It may have been pure coincidence, but following the release of this song, a series of ballads in a similar style by many of the so-called Pearl Jam imitators flooded the airwaves. Not a positive outcome. 2 stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:43 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Aaaauw, too bad. This song has gone from 6/10 to 9/10 the last year or 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:49 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

SLH916 wrote:

It seems that Pearl Jam was in on the ground floor of a type of ballad that uses short, sharply demarcated vocal lines that result in truncated lyrical content and a characteristic halting quality that limits vocal expressiveness.

It may have been pure coincidence, but following the release of this song, a series of ballads in a similar style by many of the so-called Pearl Jam imitators flooded the airwaves. Not a positive outcome. 2 stars.

Really? i'm not entirely sure of what mainstream America was putting out on the radio at that time, but i imagine a song like Of the Girl would be difficult to replicate...i've always perceived it as an intimate, beauitful atmospheric song - very different to anything PJ had done before, and to what they have done since.

In regards to the vocal melodies, it is worth remembering that this is a Stone song, so Eddie may have been holding back his own ideas for the song, out of respect to Stone? That said, I quite like the meter in the lines, and the pace and rhythm of the vocal melody - and Ed's voice is sounding looovely. I'd give it 3.5 stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:51 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

Pearl Jam knocked this one out of the park. Understated, but loose and wild at once, it maintains one of the greatest abilities of modern Pearl Jam -- the bluesy, slower jams.

Be blessed,

Jared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:19 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Lloyd Dobler wrote:
Pearl Jam knocked this one out of the park. Understated, but loose and wild at once, it maintains one of the greatest abilities of modern Pearl Jam -- the bluesy, slower jams.

Be blessed,

Jared

I'd agree. Out of curiosity what other songs do yu consider to fit into the bluesy, slower jams of modern Pearl Jam?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:39 pm 
Global Moderator

SLH916 wrote:

what songs are you thinking of?

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:06 pm 
Team Binaural

chinofstone wrote:
Love it.

Love the darkness of it, love Ed's delivery...

Great live, but the studio version is tremendous

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:18 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

SLH916 wrote:

I don't think you can blame PJ for their imitators. But, I'm curious about the imitiations. I don't listen to a lot of radio so I miss a lot of crap (thank god!!). What songs are on this list?

The only musical influence I know coming from this song and much of the softer side of Binaural (and No Code come to think of it) would be Roots and Crowns by Califone (if you don't have this, it's a must). I guess that shows how little I listen to the radio.

Personally, I love the truncated lyrical quality of this song and don't see it as a negative.

Anyway, Of The Girl is my favorite Stone song and one of my favorites off Binaural (making it among my favorite pj songs ever). I enjoy Fatal but don't think the lyrics are as strong as they are here. The melody on Fatal is good.

So it's from 5 for me only I hit the wrong voting button! GRRR

support public radio http://www.wtmd.org/index.html

AHOF Lifetime Achievement Honoree

May there be an ever after, after all.

I won’t call you surely, if you forget I have a drinking problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:59 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:

I've listened to a lot of top 40 radio. At my last job, my co-workers preferred this.

First, the fact that I dislike OF THE GIRL has nothing to do with a vocal style that was popular at the time. I just don't care for the song, particularly the vocal styling, although I appreciate the cool, jazzy swing vibe. None of the groups that I mention below replicate this.

The music that surrounds OF THE GIRL is far more creative than that found in any of these songs, but the detached arching vocal line is common to all. It is a style that I do not care for although that, of course, is just my opinion and millions disagree.

Creed--WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN

The Calling--WHEREVER YOU WILL GO

Nickelback--FAR AWAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:10 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

SLH916 wrote:
stip wrote:

I've listened to a lot of top 40 radio. At my last job, my co-workers preferred this.

Nickelback--FAR AWAY

Wow. Top 40? My heart bleeds for you.

I don't hear a similarity in styling between Of the girl and these other songs other than the singer imitate vedder in general and they're baritones. if i used this standard, i'd have to dislike all pj songs.

To my hears, Ed is far more sublte and melodically expressive on Of The Girl than the singers on the 3 songs you mention, but my impression is a matter of taste and we all process what we hear differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:12 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Alessiana wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
stip wrote:

Nickelback--FAR AWAY

Wow. Top 40? My heart bleeds for you.

I don't hear a similarity in styling between Of the girl and these other songs other than the singer imitate vedder in general and they're baritones. if i used this standard, i'd have to dislike all pj songs.

To my hears, Ed is far more sublte and melodically expressive on Of The Girl than the singers on the 3 songs you mention, but my impression is a matter of taste and we all process what we hear differently.

oops, i apparently cut out your point which is that these song's DON'T copy Vedder on Of The Girl, so I am confused by your explanation for not liking it but so what! : ) I don't need to understand.

Thanks regardless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Hmm, i can understand why you wouldn't like Of the girl, but i really think i could name a lot of PJ songs over it that have influenced PJ's imitators and accounted for those types of songs.

If, as you say, a string of ballads emerged shortly after Of the Girl, all sharing some of it's qualities - i'd say that this is purely coincidental. For a start, i imagine bands like Nickelback/The Calling/Creed etc were all influenced by very early PJ, i doubt any even own Binaural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:36 pm 
Supersonic

Two stars: studio version
Three stars: live version

If they let Mike go absolutely crazy with solos on this, it's a much better song, but I have yet to hear a version that makes me go..oh, this song is a four or five. Mike needs a good four to five minutes worth of tearing it up and this song is much improved. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Coach wrote:

If they let Mike go absolutely crazy with solos on this, it's a much better song, but I have yet to hear a version that makes me go..oh, this song is a four or five. Mike needs a good four to five minutes worth of tearing it up and this song is much improved. 8)
Mike's forte is not particularly the slow bluesy, atmospheric thing. He's no David Gilmour. It's a nice song, 3 stars for me, but hard for it to go higher as it doesn't play to anyone's strength in the band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:04 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tyler wrote:
Coach wrote:

Mike's forte is not particularly the slow bluesy, atmospheric thing. He's no David Gilmour. It's a nice song, 3 stars for me, but hard for it to go higher as it doesn't play to anyone's strength in the band.

I kind of agree. I think that it's hard for this song to be raised higher in a live setting, but at the same time i think all 5 do a really good job at doing 'their bit'. Whilst Mike has the freedom to take it places, he's quite laid back, and it suits the fact it's a 'band' song, more than a solo song (such as NAIS).

Eddie's vocals always sound fantastic on this one live - really good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam