Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate Of A Girl
5 Stars: A Masterpiece 32%  32%  [ 49 ]
4 Stars: Really Good Song 41%  41%  [ 63 ]
3 Stars: Solid song 21%  21%  [ 32 ]
2 Stars: Subpar 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
1 Star: How did this make it on while Sweet Lou didn't? 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 152
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:25 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

phenomonal song, along with Rival and Parting Ways one of their best songs, def in my top 10. the whole band seems to have put some effort in this song, great mellow guitars, nice bassline and haunting yet exciting vocals.

:thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:00 pm 
Force of Nature

love the mood, great opener (although i don't enjoy the San Francisco 1 version very much for some reason).

and i absolutely LOVE the Insignificance - Of The Girl - Grievance combo. Probably my most-listened-to PJ album threesome :)

4 stars (i would give it 4 1/2 if i could).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:45 am 
Menace to Dogciety

I luv it! So atmospheric, and one said that the song doesnt go anywhere, what i think it just fit the lyrics.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:56 am 
Got Some

5 stars easily.

this is the absolut most underrated PJ song ever. one of the songs i wish people who don;t listen to PJ could hear, this song is too good and the lyrics are to strong for it to go un-noticed.

love it

GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:55 am 
Global Moderator

holierthanthou wrote:
5 stars easily.

this is the absolut most underrated PJ song ever. one of the songs i wish people who don;t listen to PJ could hear, this song is too good and the lyrics are to strong for it to go un-noticed.

love it

a few of you have really complimented the lyrics. What do you like about them? They're flat and uninteresting to me.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:26 pm 
Got Some

stip wrote:
holierthanthou wrote:
5 stars easily.

love it

a few of you have really complimented the lyrics. What do you like about them? They're flat and uninteresting to me.

Oh he chose a path
Heavy the fall
Quarter to four

Fills his night
With the thought
Of a girl

How he makes his getaway
How he makes his getaway
How he makes his getaway...

for me, i believe the lyrics make the listener think. yes, the song is about a girl. that's obvious. it's hard to explain. it's one of those real life situations that eddie seems to put the listener into. it's easy to get into the song and relate to it because, unless you are gay, there is always that one girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:58 pm 
Team Binaural

Love it.

Love the darkness of it, love Ed's delivery...

Great live, but the studio version is tremendous

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:39 pm 
Resident Frat Dick

Opening the Benaroya show....just plain awesome.

The only thing that would have made that show better would have been an acoustic version of Even Flow....you know, PJ's best song.

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:28 pm 
Global Moderator

holierthanthou wrote:
stip wrote:
holierthanthou wrote:
5 stars easily.

love it

Oh he chose a path
Heavy the fall
Quarter to four

Fills his night
With the thought
Of a girl

How he makes his getaway
How he makes his getaway
How he makes his getaway...

for me, i believe the lyrics make the listener think. yes, the song is about a girl. that's obvious. it's hard to explain. it's one of those real life situations that eddie seems to put the listener into. it's easy to get into the song and relate to it because, unless you are gay, there is always that one girl.

makes the listener think about what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This is, most likely, my favorite Pearl Jam song. I say 'likely' only because I have strong affections for other songs in their catalog (like Black) so it's tough to pick a single song and say 'Yes, that is my favorite PJ song', but were a gun to be put to my head when asked what my favorite song would be, I'm pretty sure I'd say Of the Girl.

I remember getting Binaural back in 2000 and hearing this song for the first time. I was immediately taken by how different it was, how much atmosphere there was, and just how damn cool it was. More often than not, when I listen to the studio version of the song, be it on Binaural or a mix CD, I almost invariably play it at least 3-4 times in a row. The song just brings me right into it and never lets go.

Lyrically it doesn't do a whole lot for me. But this doesn't really mean anything to this discussion as this is true for 95% of the songs I listen to as I don't usually pick up on lyrics or really analyze them all that much- I listen to music for the music rather than than the meaning. So I'll let you guys debate the merits of the lyrics.

Live, I'm more often than not dissapointed. I make a point of buying boots that have OtG on them, so I've heard my fair share, and to date, only Benaroya and the recent SF1 performance have received my seal of approval. For the most part, when played live, the atmosphere is gone, the feeling that you are *in* the song is gone, so they're not as easy for me to appreciate. The performances are usually good, but they just can't match the studio version. Benaroya is notable because Mike's playing on it is just fascinating and there are parts where I feel they're equaling the studio version in terms of bringing me into the song- not a small feat considering the nature of the Binaural recording process compared to a live recording. The SF1 performance is notable because it seems that they perform it with a bit more urgency, and they do it very well. There's a different feel to it, and again Mike's playing is amazing. One thing common to all the live performances is there is always some sloppiness, and it certainly feels like they haven't figured out the best way to open and close the song.

Nonetheless, I love, love, love this song and it is easily in my top 10 favorite songs by any band. This song unquestionably gets 5 stars from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:08 pm 
Got Some

stip wrote:
holierthanthou wrote:
5 stars easily.

love it

they are pretty ordinary, not bad, but not special. I think the thing that carries the song, and the lyrics, is the atmospheric feel. and the delivery enhances the lyrics.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:16 pm 
Banned from the Pit

i love this song... i've been dying to hear it as a opener for years but haven't got it yet...

both the live and studio versions are amazing... my only problem being the way ed sounds on the studio version... the whole song has this really great spacey feel to it and then ed comes in and he seems kind of dry almost, if that makes sense... i wish it a. would have been produced differently or b. that ed would have let loose while singing... it almost seems like he's holding back

none-the-less... i love the song and rated it a solid 4

ps... the bongos on the one bridge school version sound awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:24 am 
Corin's Cutie/Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Cant find a better opener

Sleater-Kinney, I will always <3 you! : (

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:33 am 
Force of Nature

One of my favorite songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:48 am 
Stone's Bitch

On Binaural, songs like Of The Girl, Thin Air and Nothing As It Seems suffer from the density of the recording. The vocals on the album version make me cry, because so much potential flies out the window in just this one area alone. Furthermore, the few times they decide to pull it out live, I usually end up getting annoyed when Stone plays the rhythm with an electric guitar (sort of like the resonator on Black, but flipped the other way). In my opinion, I'd say that the Benaroya version is the best version there is and judging by that version, I'd give it a five. The song requires the acoustic/electric interplay to come off properly.

Another thing that I enjoy is the fractured delivery of the lyrics albeit simple, and in that way it's sort of comparable to Sleight Of Hand which is the only thing keeping Of The Girl from being the best song on the final version of Binaural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:46 pm 
Team Binaural

Where's The Old Board? wrote:

Jones Beach II and Memphis from 2000 are standouts

I just try to ask as many questions as I can, and then I try to sit down and write a story that people will want to read. – Chris Jones

conoalias wrote:
you are good people chin.

Team Binaural

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:55 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 YIM  Profile

This song is just trying to be so much more than it is, in my opinion. It's flat and uninspired. I have a theory about Ed singing someone else's lyrics and it's just that he doesn't sound the same. Now, Inside Job has sort of changed my mind about this, but I think if Ed isn't inspired to sing the lyrics, then it's just not sounding good to me. I gave it two stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:02 pm 
Global Moderator

inthepjethers wrote:
This song is just trying to be so much more than it is, in my opinion. It's flat and uninspired. I have a theory about Ed singing someone else's lyrics and it's just that he doesn't sound the same. Now, Inside Job has sort of changed my mind about this, but I think if Ed isn't inspired to sing the lyrics, then it's just not sounding good to me. I gave it two stars.

I think there is a lot of truth to your theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:37 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
inthepjethers wrote:

I think there is a lot of truth to your theory.

I agree with this theory. A good amount of Non-Ed songs are rarities too. That's probably not coincidental.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:51 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

chinofstone wrote:
Where's The Old Board? wrote:

Jones Beach II and Memphis from 2000 are standouts

I still prefer listening to the radio broadcast of JB II to the official boot. The opening is one of the reasons. It sounds great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam