Which do you prefer?
Indifference 68%  68%  [ 122 ]
All Or None 31%  31%  [ 55 ]
Total votes : 177
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:08 am 
Got Some

zeb wrote:
I think Indifference is a great song but I think I prefer All Or None.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:09 am 
Former PJ Drummer

All or None may be the best thing on Riot Act, but Indifference is one of the best things this band has ever done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:16 am 
Force of Nature

MF wrote:
All or None may be the best thing on Riot Act, but Indifference is one of the best things this band has ever done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:55 pm 
Global Moderator

I think I have 15 or so possible 'the best...''s I'd like to do, but again I don't want to monopolize this space, so if you have ideas just pm me (and let me know if you want to write the lead post).

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I wanted to vote for All or None. I think it's Mike's finest mood rocker song. One of the problems with Riot Act is that it's a handful of songs and Mike just fills in the blanks with subpar, yet fast solos. I think he plays the perfect solo to match Stone's music in this tune.

The chorus is great but the lyrics just don't chime in as well as Indifference. The words are extremely vague (which is OK) but other the "I give up" theme...I don't get anything from the Ed's words.

However, in Indifference...the music matches the mood also and Ed's up an down, soaring vocals are amazing. There is pain, but there is also triumph and there is fortitude which I think is a great way to end an emotional and angry record like Vs.

Indifference wins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I have to go with indifference. Stone’s melodic, searing guitar playing under Eddie’s declaration that is at the same time questioning brings such a rich atmosphere.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:48 pm 
AnalLog

i will light the match this mornin', so i won't be alone
i always thought the line suggested that it was a moment for the narrator to think about stuff on his own, apart from his lady friend, who he mentions in the next line.
watch as she lies silent, for soon light will be gone
look at her innocently sleeping, while he contemplates life for a minute or two..... light (ideas) is fleeting.
i will stand arms outstretched, pretend i'm free to roam
exploring his space, his surroundings without any regard for anybody or anything. a moment completely to himself.
i will make my way, through, one more day in hell...
to me the hell isn't something too devestating. its more, that despite taking this moment, as this guy might every morning, he knows that its not going to last forever. he knows he'll have to return to reality, and to life. life = compromise.
how much difference does it make
runs throughout this song, b/c life is about compromising, and how much difference does it make to take a stand. to stretch out these moments, the ones you might take for yourself in a fleeting-candle-lit morning, into a whole life. to become steadfast in your thinking, to become disciplined, and unwavering in the face of adversity. to become stubburn, and biased. to make a difference, you have to stop giving in, you have to take what life forces upon you, and it makes a difference b/c life always allows you those moments to be free. and thats all anybody ever wanted, the opportunity to freely enjoy the world around them (not settle for it).

that's what indifference is to me. i'll remember it forever, being played on a nightly basis by my brother (we shared the basement as one big room) as we'd fall asleep and he dealt with some painful/troubling times. I love it live, i've heard it twice now. but that studio version, the last song, was amazing every night for almost a year. he put it on, his lamp would go out, and from my side of the room i'd just lie there and wish i could help him out somehow.its the best song this band has written, its a song that will be covered (for good and bad) for years to come, b/c its such a powerful & necessary message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:30 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Both of those songs worked very well in the context of their records.
indifference in a record full of energy, full of anger and the song is like a young man saying...is this going to make a change? does it really probes anything??
all or none could be about the same young man now as an adult and seeing how life is repeating itself in the same way...93, war, 2002, war...
and the man is questioning about if we can still try, and this time he is going all or none on life...the song works perfectly for a record like Riot Act full of disappointment...
they are both fine examples of the talent of eddie as a songwriter who captures a moment of his life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:55 pm 
Stone's Bitch

There's so much I want to say about this, I promise I'll get around to it once I can track down some weed and listen to them on headphones. GREAT idea, Stip.

proud member of team corduroy_blazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:00 am 
Stone's Bitch

All or None, this at times(like many others) is my favourite Pearl Jam song. I love the simple, dark guitar riff (not much of a guitar buff, but definately an alternate tuning) And when Eddie says "To my self I surrender, to the one I'll never please" It just feels like such an emotional line, up there with any line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:28 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I love All or None but, Indifference is classic.

Dies to be part of the ground

-Cropduster
Ed Vedder/Matt Cameron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:42 pm 
Got Some

wouldn't release be considered to have some existential themes? as well with immortality? push me, pull me too though its not a closer.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:24 am 
Global Moderator

Junco Partner wrote:
wouldn't release be considered to have some existential themes? as well with immortality? push me, pull me too though its not a closer.

there are plenty of existenstial songs, but even among the album closers there is a lot more going on in release (the stuff with Eddie's father) and immortality (the stuff with authenticity and commodification) that complicate things.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:05 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I just love All or none. When I first heard that song I was just stunned. I still remember that my heart was pounding sooo hard. Plus I asumed Mike will extend this song with a Black-type-three-minute solo. You can just imagine me last month on a concert in Zagreb when they played that song and Mike was in the zone with this bone chilling solo... Man, that was intense. I also love Indifference, but I would clearly choose All or None anytime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:21 pm 
Unthought Known

unfortunately, i've never been able to get into 'all or none.' i have nothing against it, but musically and lyrically it just isn't there for me. while indifference also has that quiet minimalist approach musically, the lyrics are absolutely amazing. even alone as poetry they are stunningly impressive and clearly indicative of ed's genius, passion, and humanity.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:58 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

All or None is the best song on Riot Act, by far. I think musically, it's pretty different from many of their other songs. Lyrically, however, it's not as deep as Indifference.

Both songs have the ability to give me goosebumps, with the "I'll swallow poison, until I grow immune/I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room" and "To myself I... surrender/To the one I'll never please"

If I'm going to sit down and listen to one, it'll be All or None, but for the poll, I have to go with Indifference.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam