Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Which do you prefer?
Hail Hail 42%  42%  [ 64 ]
Parting Ways 52%  52%  [ 80 ]
Can't Decide 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 151
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:48 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

Parting Ways...Letting Go and moving on
Hail Hail....Holding On and moving forward

I remember when Hail Hail was released as a single, the DJ stated that it was good to see Eddie lightened up after "I Got ID"..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:09 pm 
Global Moderator

PleasePJRock! wrote:

I remember when Hail Hail was released as a single, the DJ stated that it was good to see Eddie lightened up after "I Got ID"..

I think I said this earlier in the thread but I'm not sure about the moving forward part of Parting Ways (I agree with hail hail). One of the real overwhelming vibes I get from parting ways (besides regret) is passivity--a refusal to confront and address a problem. Again I think the key word here is drifting, which means there is an aimless loss of control, rather than a conscious effort to move.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:45 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
PleasePJRock! wrote:

I think I said this earlier in the thread but I'm not sure about the moving forward part of Parting Ways (I agree with hail hail). One of the real overwhelming vibes I get from parting ways (besides regret) is passivity--a refusal to confront and address a problem. Again I think the key word here is drifting, which means there is an aimless loss of control, rather than a conscious effort to move.

I understand the the drifting point throughout the song, but at the end and especially live Ed rings in the E-Chord over and over again in a heavy manner. To me that signifies the end. I know this is subjective, but to me when the e-chord rings over and over again it is away of letting go, and moving on. The bell tolls. That was my point. I see black and white through the whole song, but somehow the end brings in small shades of color. Maybe not much hope, but some closure and acceptance. Hince forth moving on.

Hail Hail also to me is about a guy that has put a lot of miles in with a girl, bound by obligation, refirms his stance in the realtionship continues onward. However he is saying Hail, Hail to the ones that are really in love. The ones that have the passion and the feeling. Something he does not have with her, maybe never did. However he has someone great, just does not have that feeling. The guy must have had that feeling before, therefore he would not question or Hail Hail the lucky ones. The lucky ones that are actually together in love.

You should throw in "Thumbing my Way" for the ultimate three way dance of songs about failing love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:01 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
I was also talking about the interpretation. I was specifically thinking of Reagan and BITUSA.

See, I don't agree with that. I'll never deny someone their right to an interpretation of a song, even if it's not what the artist intended. You can't do that, because then it becomes preaching. And art is about expression, not preaching.

You and I both know what Springsteen's sentiments behind the song were, but to tell someone they're wrong for taking it as a patriotic song is wrong. If that's how it moves them, the song works. Might they be missing the artist's point? Sure. But that doesn't make them wrong for liking that piece of work.

I don't think so. I won't deny them the right to say it, but they are wrong. And it is a patriotic piece. One of the most patriotic songs around. Reagan tried to make it jingoistic.

I know we've taken this way off-topic, but I'm curious: how do you find it patriotic, aside from the chorus'?

Because of my interpretation, which fits Bruce's interpretation, and because of the history of the song. It's about questioning what the country has done to the Vets. The way it has gone because of gov't. leadership. Nothing is more patriotic than questioning the gov't. when you know it can be so much better.

This is what I love about music. I see the song as harsh criticism, yet you find something positive about it. I love you, Kelly. :luv:

And I agree with you too. Sending the love back. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:02 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

stip wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:
I was also talking about the interpretation. I was specifically thinking of Reagan and BITUSA.

See, I don't agree with that. I'll never deny someone their right to an interpretation of a song, even if it's not what the artist intended. You can't do that, because then it becomes preaching. And art is about expression, not preaching.

You and I both know what Springsteen's sentiments behind the song were, but to tell someone they're wrong for taking it as a patriotic song is wrong. If that's how it moves them, the song works. Might they be missing the artist's point? Sure. But that doesn't make them wrong for liking that piece of work.

I don't think so. I won't deny them the right to say it, but they are wrong. And it is a patriotic piece. One of the most patriotic songs around. Reagan tried to make it jingoistic.

I know we've taken this way off-topic, but I'm curious: how do you find it patriotic, aside from the chorus'?

Because of my interpretation, which fits Bruce's interpretation, and because of the history of the song. It's about questioning what the country has done to the Vets. The way it has gone because of gov't. leadership. Nothing is more patriotic than questioning the gov't. when you know it can be so much better.

I agree, but you also have to admit that the working defintion of patriotism in music (and life in general) is something much closer to an uncritical love of country if not flat out jingoism.

Oh yes, of course. But true patriotism in my eyes, and in the eyes of many that I know, is questioning your country. Knowing that your country is great, but seeing it's faults and wanting to make it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:15 pm 
Global Moderator

PleasePJRock! wrote:
stip wrote:
PleasePJRock! wrote:

I understand the the drifting point throughout the song, but at the end and especially live Ed rings in the E-Chord over and over again in a heavy manner. To me that signifies the end. I know this is subjective, but to me when the e-chord rings over and over again it is away of letting go, and moving on. The bell tolls. That was my point. I see black and white through the whole song, but somehow the end brings in small shades of color. Maybe not much hope, but some closure and acceptance. Hince forth moving on.

Hail Hail also to me is about a guy that has put a lot of miles in with a girl, bound by obligation, refirms his stance in the realtionship continues onward. However he is saying Hail, Hail to the ones that are really in love. The ones that have the passion and the feeling. Something he does not have with her, maybe never did. However he has someone great, just does not have that feeling. The guy must have had that feeling before, therefore he would not question or Hail Hail the lucky ones. The lucky ones that are actually together in love.

You should throw in "Thumbing my Way" for the ultimate three way dance of songs about failing love.

TMY will show up, but for me it is about a love that is definitively over. There is too much ambiguity (in my mind) for it to go here.

As a reminder--if you have ideas for matchups you'd like to see for this thread pm me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:39 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 YIM  Profile

parting ways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:02 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The line in my sig from Hail Hail gets me everytime.

Two great song's, but on the strength of that line alone it's Hail Hail for me.

Remembered to ask dude that I hung with most of party night if he had any idea why I had a large (fist-sized) purple bruise on my chest. He said he remembers "OW!" but that's it. Guess I'll never know.

Trades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:22 pm 
Unthought Known

Hail, Hail

it's not even close

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:27 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
PleasePJRock! wrote:
stip wrote:
PleasePJRock! wrote:

TMY will show up, but for me it is about a love that is definitively over. There is too much ambiguity (in my mind) for it to go here.

As a reminder--if you have ideas for matchups you'd like to see for this thread pm me.

You are right about TMY now that I think about it, however I do see it as the song that follows Parting Ways.

In away you could listen to, Parting Ways, TMY and then ALL or None and form a trilogy out of that order. That may have been discussed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Parting Ways wins big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:58 pm 
AnalLog

i vote for black and porch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:13 pm 
Menace to Dogciety

warehouse wrote:

Porch is the ultimate love song for me, to step out of the porch, to stop to hesitate, to go beyond and give a try, to walk beside the person you love with no fear.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:42 pm 
Global Moderator

Human Bass wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Porch is the ultimate love song for me, to step out of the porch, to stop to hesitate, to go beyond and give a try, to walk beside the person you love with no fear.

I've always taken porch (at least in the studio) to be about an abusive relationship--a younger person's betterman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:29 am 
Menace to Dogciety

stip wrote:
Human Bass wrote:
warehouse wrote:

I've always taken porch (at least in the studio) to be about an abusive relationship--a younger person's betterman.

My interpretation is very personal. But it can be abusive somehow to me, since one person refuses to assume comintment by shame or fear, but the other person keeps on trying, fight bravely so they can have a chance of being happy together.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:32 am 
Global Moderator

Human Bass wrote:
stip wrote:
Human Bass wrote:
warehouse wrote:

My interpretation is very personal. But it can be abusive somehow to me, since one person refuses to assume comintment by shame or fear, but the other person keeps on trying, fight bravely so they can have a chance of being happy together.

what do you make of the 'would you hit me?' line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:33 am 
Force of Nature

Parting Ways defines that feeling for me. This one is no contest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:27 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 YIM  Profile

Without question... 'Parting Ways'.. like someone mentioned earlier in this thread... it defines the feeling.. fleeting emotions...

Beautiful & sad at the same time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:27 pm 
Spambot

''Parting Ways'' God what a sad song

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:09 pm 
Global Moderator

Brain of J3521 wrote:
''Parting Ways'' God what a sad song

welcome to the board :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam