Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vote
5 Stars: A Masterpiece 59%  59%  [ 91 ]
4 Stars: Really good 32%  32%  [ 50 ]
3 Stars: Average for Pearl jam 7%  7%  [ 11 ]
2 Stars: Missing Something 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
1 Star: Overrated garbage 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 154
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:49 pm 
Got Some

Love this song, easily one of my favorites. Love the beat and while I've never paid attention to most of the lyrics I love the flow of the words and the way Ed sounds in concert. State has gotten better over the years; it's not one you can sit still while listening to. One of better songs for Ed to do his patented head shake.

Last edited by lord vedder on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:46 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

I'll love this song forever and always. It means so much to me. I really like your interpretation and agree with it, Stu.

I love the breakdown with the guitar and then Eddie singing:

hey, na-na-na-na, hey that's something
wanna back, back it away , yeah

I love the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:50 pm 
Resident Frat Dick

5 stars. It's virtually impossible to find anything wrong with this song.

The only thing lacking is that it's not quite Even Flow.

:bammer:

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:52 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

SmilinSkullRing wrote:

I love the whole thing.

Yeah, this part is great. This is always one of the songs I play to people when they wonder why I love this band so much. Cool lyrics and an awesome energy runs through the entire thing. I love the unplugged version too.

5 stars, this is energetic PJ at its best.

Proud member of the Copenhagen Fap Crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:26 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

Garden of Stone wrote:
SmilinSkullRing wrote:

I love the whole thing.

Yeah, this part is great. This is always one of the songs I play to people when they wonder why I love this band so much. Cool lyrics and an awesome energy runs through the entire thing. I love the unplugged version too.

5 stars, this is energetic PJ at its best.

I completely agree. I don't see how someone couldn't love this song. And the Unplugged version is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:17 pm 
Stone's Bitch

PunkDavid, great interpretation about the songs purpose being faithful, I've never thought of the song like that, but it makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:03 pm 
Global Moderator

So today I fulfilled a minor dream of mine and worked a pearl jam lyric, or title in this case, into my dissertation (a chapter on Henry Wallace--roosevelt's VP, who fancied himself a bit of a prophet). I don't know if this will make the final version, since this is still the first draft and I'm a bit fried at this point but at any rate

But should we choose to embrace Christianity and the vision of the Sermon on the Mount, we now have the tools through which we can actually begin to implement it here on Earth. We have the productive capacity, and we have the scientific, economic, and sociological knowledge to implement it, provided the people want it and are willing to put up with the trial and error necessary to reinvent our social machinery. “The chief difficulty is with human hearts and human wills.”

Our control over nature is such that if the profit motive and the monetary system did not interfere unduly it would be easily possible to remove form all humanity those great fears having to do with lack of food, lack of shelter, lack of employment, trouble in case of sickness and destitution in old age. It is a blot on American social civilization that these fears have not yet been removed.

The problem is not conquering necessity or fortune. The problem now before us is conquering ourselves, the suspicions we have of each other, and creating the political will to remake the world over. We need to create a state of love and trust that can grant permanence to the social innovations of the New Deal.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:52 am 
Stone's Bitch

Stippy, let's mate.

proud member of team corduroy_blazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am 
Founding Bitch

stuzzo wrote:
Stippy, let's mate.

I think you've probably made his year

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

Post subject: Re: SOTM: Help me, help me from my self
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:18 pm 
Mike's Maniac
 WWW  Profile

best song ever :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:33 pm 
Global Moderator

Juvenal wrote:
stuzzo wrote:
Stippy, let's mate.

I think you've probably made his year

:lol:

tis true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:34 am 
Supersonic

I gave it a four.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:41 am 
Supersonic

stip wrote:
So today I fulfilled a minor dream of mine and worked a pearl jam lyric, or title in this case, into my dissertation (a chapter on Henry Wallace--roosevelt's VP, who fancied himself a bit of a prophet). I don't know if this will make the final version, since this is still the first draft and I'm a bit fried at this point but at any rate

But should we choose to embrace Christianity and the vision of the Sermon on the Mount, we now have the tools through which we can actually begin to implement it here on Earth. We have the productive capacity, and we have the scientific, economic, and sociological knowledge to implement it, provided the people want it and are willing to put up with the trial and error necessary to reinvent our social machinery. “The chief difficulty is with human hearts and human wills.”

Our control over nature is such that if the profit motive and the monetary system did not interfere unduly it would be easily possible to remove form all humanity those great fears having to do with lack of food, lack of shelter, lack of employment, trouble in case of sickness and destitution in old age. It is a blot on American social civilization that these fears have not yet been removed.

The problem is not conquering necessity or fortune. The problem now before us is conquering ourselves, the suspicions we have of each other, and creating the political will to remake the world over. We need to create a state of love and trust that can grant permanence to the social innovations of the New Deal.

Well said. Not sure if you should leave the "love" part in there, but the "trust" is a must.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:42 pm 
Global Moderator

Coach wrote:
stip wrote:

Well said. Not sure if you should leave the "love" part in there, but the "trust" is a must.

I have to go back and edit this chapter all day, and you're right. I don't like how that sentence reads now. Still, I had fun putting it in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:28 pm 
Unthought Known

the "rearviewmirror" version sounds incredible, with a different mix that isn't noted in the liner notes. i just hear so many different things compared to the version on the "singles" soundtrack. when eddie drops his voice down low and sings the "and the barrel shakes" lyrics... man, i get chills every time. its one of those moments that turn a really good song into something truly amazing.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:52 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
the "rearviewmirror" version sounds incredible, with a different mix that isn't noted in the liner notes. i just hear so many different things compared to the version on the "singles" soundtrack. when eddie drops his voice down low and sings the "and the barrel shakes" lyrics... man, i get chills every time. its one of those moments that turn a really good song into something truly amazing.

I agree actually. I really love how they play around with the structure on this one. We have Chorus A, then on the next cycle Chorus B (sung/spoken in lower register) followed by A, then next time round we get A followed by B (but sung here with so much balls it's kinda worrying). They haven't done anything similar to that since (maybe with Save You/the WWS prechoruses...but certainly not to the affect of this song).

I forget the lyrics when i listen, it's all about Ed's vocal melody and the feel of it. This song makes me bounce, shake, shimmy and roly poly. At the same time. If i'm feeling shit or kinda down when i wake up, this is my medicine.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm 
Global Moderator

iceagecoming wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:

I agree actually. I really love how they play around with the structure on this one. We have Chorus A, then on the next cycle Chorus B (sung/spoken in lower register) followed by A, then next time round we get A followed by B (but sung here with so much balls it's kinda worrying). They haven't done anything similar to that since (maybe with Save You/the WWS prechoruses...but certainly not to the affect of this song).

I forget the lyrics when i listen, it's all about Ed's vocal melody and the feel of it. This song makes me bounce, shake, shimmy and roly poly. At the same time. If i'm feeling shit or kinda down when i wake up, this is my medicine.

there's a fun shimmer to it. I prefer the Singles version (just like I prefer the remixed even flow) but this one is fun to hear every now and then too.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:57 am 
Stone's Bitch

I really dig the song but they play it way too damn fast live now.

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Thu May 01, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:30 am 
Global Moderator

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I really dig the song but they play way too damn fast live now.

agreed

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 am 
RM Honored Artworker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Location: Vranov, Slovakia > Berlin > Open'er Gdynia > Pohoda Festival, Slovakia
stip wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I really dig the song but they play way too damn fast live now.

agreed

The Immagine In Cornice version is fucking incredible.

Besides all the other great things about the song, there is an unbelievable guitar solo.

pra/vie 06,mun/kat 07,rot/ber/man/lon 09 ber/gdy 10

look here: http://weareredmosquito.6te.net/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam