Man of the Hour 46%  46%  [ 55 ]
Can't Decide 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 119
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:38 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

MattCamFan wrote:
I haven't had a father in a long, long time.

Man of the Hour, by light years.

I always like it when people state their age in their profile...
I'm an orphan, or maybe not, because I had 3 fathers and the first one may still be alive.

groetjes,
Mirella :)

93 Rdm2x 96 D L2x Ber Gro Ams Par Zür 00 L2x D Gla Man Car Par Pin Pra Kat2x Sal Lju Ver Ber Ham Ros L 01 BSB2x Sea2x 06 D Arn Ant Bern Bol Ver Mil Tor Pis Pra Ber Vie Zag 07 L Düs Nij Wer 09 L Rdm Ber Man L 10 D Belf L Ber 12 Am2x EV:Am2x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:25 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

it's Man of the hour for me: I love the images, the metaphors, and the theme. It also made me realize that there aren't very many sincere father, son songs out in the world, at least that I know of.

Release is such a powerful song, so raw and angry. It knocks you back with the vocals almost. I hold a lot of respect for it but I don't relate to release as much as I do with Man of the Hour.

I took my parents to see big fish and as the credits role and the song starts up my dad turns to me and says, "that's Pear Jam isn't it? Hell of a song."

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:11 am 
Cameron's Stallion

Mirella wrote:
MattCamFan wrote:
I haven't had a father in a long, long time.

Man of the Hour, by light years.

I always like it when people state their age in their profile...
I'm an orphan, or maybe not, because I had 3 fathers and the first one may still be alive.

groetjes,

I'm sorry to here that, it must be tough not knowing, and that you just lost one of the fathers you did know a few years back. I assume he was the one that raised you.

My father died when I was 15. He was a great father, and I still miss him sometimes. My mother went through a couple of asshole boyfriends after that, but they didn't bother me much. She eventually found a good man that she's still with today, but I was long gone by then. I know him now, but he was never a father to me.

Anyway, you can see my age now. And yeah, I think some of the younger people may relate to Release more then MotH. That's the way it should be. Not always, but... we can still enjoy both songs.

The smallest oceans still get...big, Big Waves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:13 am 
Stone's Bitch

My mom is not the biggest PJ fan but when she saw Big Fish and listened to Man of the Hour she cried. It's that good. Release is powerful as hell too, but I can relate more with Man of the Hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:05 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I love reading this parent/Pearl Jam/Big Fish stories! Thanks :).
And yes, I've been unfortunate to lose 3 parents to death but also fortunate because they were very good parents for me. That's what so good about MotH; it's like a tribute to a good parent.
The movie also has that magical mix between facts and fiction. The funeral reminded me of my mothers: so many different people, all with their own personal connection and stories.
In general, I think that's so great about Pearl Jam: the music and the lyrics are somehow able to catch those emotions, express them. For some people they are just good songs (or boring :wink: ), for others it's so personal it's almost scary... I think it's also comforting to know most people go through things like this, sooner or later.

groetjes,

93 Rdm2x 96 D L2x Ber Gro Ams Par Zür 00 L2x D Gla Man Car Par Pin Pra Kat2x Sal Lju Ver Ber Ham Ros L 01 BSB2x Sea2x 06 D Arn Ant Bern Bol Ver Mil Tor Pis Pra Ber Vie Zag 07 L Düs Nij Wer 09 L Rdm Ber Man L 10 D Belf L Ber 12 Am2x EV:Am2x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I like Release better.

And I think the SF III 2006 version has topped the Tokyo 2003 version for me. Also a big fan of the State College 2003 version.

and fill the spinnin' sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:26 pm 
Global Moderator

these next two-three weeks are really hectic for me. If someone wanted to make the match and do the lead post over the next few weeks I would be most grateful. Just pm me.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:02 pm 
Supersonic

I'm surprised Release didn't score higher- it's so much more personal! My favorite PJ song-- Also, does any one else think the line is "I see the [[verse in the rain" If it's not, I think it should be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:08 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 YIM  Profile

Release is a hauntingly-beautiful song.. but I think Man Of The Hour is a little more universal... it seems as if it can capture more of a common feeling among listeners... it also has a little more sway.. because it's a personal favorite of mine.. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:38 pm 
Force of Nature

inmytree wrote:
Both songs are strong and beautiful, but MotH's lyrics are really better, so my vote is for Man of the hour.

Is not that MOTH's lyrics are deeper, though it seems more explicit at first sight. Release, with just a few lines, is so deep as well. I think that one touching you more than the another is absolutely connected with the relation you have/had/or want to have with your old man. So your election should be reflected on that, IMO. I really can't say wich lyrics are better, since both were written in different phases, wich different messages, points of view and intentions. I honestly can't decide with this, much love for both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:35 pm 
Supersonic

I think that Release's more personal nature is more moving-MOTH is to generalizing- but, of course, where you're coming from with your own father relationship is definitely related- ie. my dad is dead so release speaks to me

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam