Total votes : 101
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:47 am 
Force of Nature

um grievance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:03 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Grievance is in my Top 5 Pearl Jam songs ever, so no contest.

WPB 06/11/08 - Tampa 06/12/08 - Columbia 06/16/08 - V. Beach 06/17/08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:00 pm 
Reissued

grievance... musically they're both close, but lyrically grievance pushes it over the edge

Soma. wrote:
In summary, you can't go wrong with Muse live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:29 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

in concert...whipping by far
for this vote (The best....political call to arms)...grieivance by far

Quote:
The cry for revenge isn’t as compelling as the cry for freedom

"Oh, we all got scars, they should have 'em too..."

for some reason up until i read stips comment i always thought that line meant we have scars so do they (ie-you're just like us we're just like you-human)
i don't analyze lyrics too often especially the older ones which at the time wouldn't have hit me anyway at the tender age of...19/20? not that i could understand much of what ed was singing(and the internet certainly didn't help back then with lyrics) i thought it did but to this day its still hard not to sing lines like "cant defend the command" instead of "cant defend fucked up man" this ive just learned...so many others are left that i thought i knew but looking back....ohhhh brother

Frank RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:37 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

in terms of politicalness grievance takes the cake easily

"pledge my grievance to the flag"

its a lot more upfront, in terms of the better song im not sure, but politically grievance is better. its a little less subtle

denverapolis wrote:
fishbob is the motherfucking man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:53 am 
Global Moderator

noaheb wrote:

Quote:

for some reason up until i read stips comment i always thought that line meant we have scars so do they (ie-you're just like us we're just like you-human)
i don't analyze lyrics too often especially the older ones which at the time wouldn't have hit me anyway at the tender age of...19/20? not that i could understand much of what ed was singing(and the internet certainly didn't help back then with lyrics) i thought it did but to this day its still hard not to sing lines like "cant defend the command" instead of "cant defend fucked up man" this ive just learned...so many others are left that i thought i knew but looking back....ohhhh brother

Your interpretation certainly isn't crazy. But if we all have scars was meant to mean all of us, then the second line (they should have em too) doesn't work. If the lyric was closer to suggesting that they should recognize their scars and imperfections (i.e-marker in the sand) that would be differnet, but I don't really see that in the lyric

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:34 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
noaheb wrote:

Quote:

Your interpretation certainly isn't crazy. But if we all have scars was meant to mean all of us, then the second line (they should have em too) doesn't work. If the lyric was closer to suggesting that they should recognize their scars and imperfections (i.e-marker in the sand) that would be differnet, but I don't really see that in the lyric

i just saw it as we all have flaws why shouldn't the Govt folks...they should hav them too they're not really different than us...but i see that it doesn't work well with the rest of the song...i guess i thought it meant they have weaknesses as well and we could use that to our advantage...? but i guess lets kick their asses works well too! :arrow:

Frank RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:41 pm 
Stone's Bitch

both songs are incredible in my mind, and to get the point across they need to really get the listerner going get them moving, and both successfully to that, i think whipping does this better than grievance because it is so agressive so hard, but lyrically grievance is amazing, and by the end of it your rocking but also thinking. My vote goes to grievance, equally great songs though

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam