Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vote
Alive 35%  35%  [ 47 ]
Corduroy 33%  33%  [ 44 ]
Given To Fly 16%  16%  [ 21 ]
Can't Decide 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
None of the above 11%  11%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 131
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:28 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

"We're all still alive....it ain't easy, I'm tellin' ya."

Remembered to ask dude that I hung with most of party night if he had any idea why I had a large (fist-sized) purple bruise on my chest. He said he remembers "OW!" but that's it. Guess I'll never know.

Trades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:11 pm 
Founding Bitch

Alive for the music, Corduroy for the sentiment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:27 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I Am Mine

proud member of team corduroy_blazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:09 pm 
Reissued

a tough choice... corduroy rotates as one of my faves, alive is top 5, given to fly top 10...

i gotta go alive

Soma. wrote:
In summary, you can't go wrong with Muse live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:17 pm 
Global Moderator

digster wrote:
I would go with Rearviewmirror as my pick over these three songs, for several reasons;

1-In my opinion, it's better than those three songs, although not by much.
2-It's far more representative of their sound, I think. Corduroy and GTF do this pretty well, but Alive sticks out a little bit. Although the songs on Ten are pretty much all stellar, they are very different in sound and structure from most of their other stuff. This makes sense; Ten was made and written before they had really gelled as a band. Some of Eddie’s big influence (the punk-rock sound and such) hadn’t really come to the forefront because he hadn’t had a chance yet to become a force in the band musically. That started on Vs, and continued throughout all of their albums; Rearviewmirror is just more representative of their sound, moreso than Alive I’d say.
3-Tackles pretty much of all of Eddie’s central themes; alienation, parental repression, abuse and neglect followed by a carthasis and escape (whether through music, driving away).
4-Each band member is represented very well and has a chance to shine.
5-I haven’t met a person who has disliked it. Take my dad for example, not a large Pearl Jam fan, but he’s always been interested in knowing what I’m listening to. I pop Vs. in in the car one day, and we’re driving along, running errands and stuff, and he pulls over about halfway through Rearviewmirror; what had been background music before grabbed him. All he said afterwards was “Wow.” Now this is the most extreme reaction I’ve seen to this song, but I usually get the same type of reaction; people simply have to stop and listen.

All these songs are great; Alive in particular is one of my favorites. But I think Rearviewmirror is the song I would pick out of their catalogue, play it for someone and say “This is what this band is all about.”

nice post. I've never had an experience where i had to pull over to listen to a song before. that's a great story

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:21 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

RVM makes me speed up, not pull over

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:18 pm 
Father Bitch

Did you pick those 3 songs, Stip?

If I had to name 3 defining songs, it'd be the 3 in the poll, tho I'd have a hard time deciding between G2F and Betterman.

Overall, I think Corduroy is THE defining pj song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:58 pm 
Global Moderator

Sandler wrote:
Did you pick those 3 songs, Stip?

If I had to name 3 defining songs, it'd be the 3 in the poll, tho I'd have a hard time deciding between G2F and Betterman.

Overall, I think Corduroy is THE defining pj song.

I did. Betterman is one of my all time favorites, and it might be a great example of a pearl jam song, but it isn't a mission statement (I hate that phrase but it kind of works here) like those three. RVM would have worked well though. it was the last one cut. Same with indifference. Present Tense and I am Mine could work too, but they aren't quite as important as the ones above if that makes sense--at least in my mind

let me reiterate that if anyone has a suggestion for this thread, and ESPECIALLY if they want to write something up, please PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:13 pm 
Force of Nature

The best song to define the band to me is GTF. However, to an outsider, someone that doesn't know the catalogue it is Alive.

Take the live experience; corduroy is great for clapping along and building momentum of the show but misses something; GTF is amazing live but I think you have to know the lyrics to get the full impact of the music (hence those more into the band); whereas Alive is just this huge anthem that even the casual listener that happens to attend a show can be into. It is a story that can be followed and understood, it has a great bridge and the solo at the end where everyone can participate and say they are alive too yelling "yeah". Actually, considering the whole Roskilde tragedy and that Alive was only played on the last show, speaks something else too about the band and the significance the song holds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:44 am 
Force of Nature

Given to Fly

To me, Alive is the song you would mention to someone to remind them of Pearl Jam back in the early 90's, but to introduce someone to PJ, someone who's never heard of them before, i'd go with GtF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:55 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Corduroy for me, it just seems to embody everything I think about Pearl Jam. Musically it's so powerful, but comes with a strong message, beautiful lyrics and comes from the absolute peak of the band.

"Take my hand, not my picture" describes Pearl Jam to me in one line.

let's just see what the morning brings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:03 pm 
Cameron's Stallion

Corduroy, because it is about the band, or being in a famous band, at least.

The smallest oceans still get...big, Big Waves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:04 pm 
AnalLog

MattCamFan wrote:

so is blood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:07 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Allright,
here we go.

stip wrote:
thanks for derailing this thread with your vote Angus. :lol:

I'm overwhelmed by the relation I've built between this internet character that is Angus and the song Given to Fly.

- Anyway,
What is a song that defines Pearl Jam? Is that the song we will think about first when we look back in 50 years on the band we once loved and say to ourselves "now that was Pearl Jam!". I think before voting you have to think about what Pearl Jam actually is.

What is Pearl Jam?

- Impossible question to answer.

- Pearl Jam is the band that made the anthemic albums Ten & Vs. and got to be the biggest band in the world. And Alive is definitely the song that will be remembered from this period. Singalong chorus, emotional & deep lyrics, great riff, great guitar solo, ...

- Pearl Jam is the band that took on the whole world and its own fans in the Vitalogy/No Code period. And Corduroy is the song that is defining for this period. Just think about how the "lyrics" to Corduroy are printed in the Vitalogy booklet. Says enough what the song means.

- Pearl Jam is the band that took it easier, made its own music, experimented a little but almost always kept making normal rock songs and has never really gone under the radar. Given to Fly defines this period.

- Now, what period is most important? The latest one since that's the one proving they survived the the hard times. The hard times? Or the early days which gave the band their status they still have and which made most of us a fan in the first place?

- All three are live staples and huge crowd pleasers, but... where are they in the setlist? Corduroy & GTF are almost always in the first set somewhere between other songs. Alive, especially during the last couple of tours, has been an encore closer. Getting the entire audience to stand up, sing, put their fists in the air, scream it out for thé song that everyone associates with Pearl Jam. This is partly why I had no doubt but to vote for Alive.

- Last week I was driving with some friends who have a very bad taste in music (popular dance & rock). Suddenly Alive came on and we all started singing it together, put the volume completely open and rocked out. I could try that with any other Pearl Jam song and it wouldn't work. It would never work.

- I agree that for fans it's easy to answer anything else, mainly Corduroy. But that's because we know and have followed every step this band ever took. Ticketmaster & all other mid-90ies events will be remembered. Lots of people will always respect them for that period. And I certainly won't ignore that that period was very important for what Pearl Jam is now. But not the most important period.

- The post-Vitalogy period will be remembered much less imo. That's why I immediately excluded GTF. It's not defining for what Pearl Jam is and will be remembered for. Just check the Greatest Hits album. Count the songs from 1991-1994 and then the rest. See?

- Now think of this in a bigger scheme. Think of the outside world. Pearl Jam is and will always be the grunge band that rose with Nirvana. Pearl Jam is the stickman. Pearl Jam is shy & crazy Eddie Vedder. Pearl Jam is the Alive & Even Flow video, the stagedive & crowdsurfing Eddie. Pearl Jam is the song Alive.

- Important: Before the Avocado album I think I could have gone for the other two songs. Had they gone to make another album that followed the line of No Code-Yield-Binaural-Riot Act, I probably wouldn't have voted Alive But they clearly went back to their early days and showed they're still a rockband with rocksongs, singalong choruses, long guitar solo's, great guitar riffs. Just look at what people like Stip & Coach think of the Avocado album and you know I'm right. I'm exaggerating a bit, I know, but the first 5 songs are practically pure Ten-Vs stuff. That's why I'm still voting for Alive. It's still the song that defines Pearl Jam anno 2006.

- I don't even know what I've written here and I don't know if I will agree with all this tomorrow, but I just wanted to defend my Alive choice versus so many people who reacted so strangely to my vote.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:18 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

Fuck stip, Angus for mod

:worthy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:40 pm 
Global Moderator

great post angus. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:26 am 
Johnny Guitar

Excellent post Angus, pretty much how I feel and you write it much more eloquently than I ever could. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:42 am 
Got Some

washmylove wrote:
Excellent post Angus, pretty much how I feel and you write it much more eloquently than I ever could. :)
that's what I was going to say, but I couldn't think of an eloquent way to say that Angus wrote it much more eloquently than I ever could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:20 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Alive. That's the song that made me a fan in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:51 am 
Cameron's Stallion

warehouse wrote:
MattCamFan wrote:

so is blood

True, but after reading Angus' post
Angus wrote:
Pearl Jam is and will always be the grunge band that rose with Nirvana. Pearl Jam is the stickman. Pearl Jam is shy & crazy Eddie Vedder. Pearl Jam is the Alive & Even Flow video, the stagedive & crowdsurfing Eddie. Pearl Jam is the song Alive.

I would have to agree.

The smallest oceans still get...big, Big Waves...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam