Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Year End Poll
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:06 pm 
Force of Nature

Nice Kudos:

Pearl Jam wins "Best Rock Band of the Year" and "Greatest Rock Band of All-Time" in RockinTown.com’s annual poll. In addition, Pearl Jam’s debut album "Ten" is named the "Best Rock Album of All-Time."

For the first time, RockinTown.com asked rock music fans to select the "Best Rock Band of the Year." To be eligible, a group had to release an album of original material between October 2005 and December 2006. This was the most contested category in the RockinTown polling with 40,000 votes cast. Thirty-five groups were nominated. Evanescence and My Chemical Romance traded the lead before Pearl Jam took control in December finishing with just under 10% of the vote. "It was Pearl Jam’s hard rock verses the emo leanings of Evanescence and My Chemical Romance," said Ian Lord, RockinTown’s managing editor. "Pearl Jam fans were on a mission."

Pearl Jam won the Greatest Band of All-Time honor with just over 7% of 30,000 votes. In 2005, Nirvana walked away with the title nailing 33% of the vote. "Pearl Jam fans seemed to thrive, almost defiantly, on their self-perceived underdog status," said Lord. Pearl Jam is the last major band left standing from the Grunge-era.

Pioneering heavy metal group, Led Zeppelin, finished #2 with just under 6% of the vote. "They always land in the Top 3 but they can never quite make it to #1," said Lord. Green Day was next with 5.5% of the vote. Nirvana dropped to #6. Rounding out the Top 10 were The Beatles (#9) and Elvis Presley (#10). "It’s a credit to their artistry and staying power that they still have a place in the Top 10," said Lord.

About mid-year, Pearl Jam’s "Ten" displaced Nirvana’s "Nevermind" as the Greatest Rock Album and never looked back. "Ten," released just prior to Nirvana’s landmark album, eventually sold more copies than "Nevermind." For the first time, AC/DC’s "Black In Black" made the list landing at #3, behind "Nevermind."

RockinTrivia
Test your knowledge
RockinForum
Add your comments

Rockin' Albums

Pearl Jam
Ten

Nirvana
Nevermind

AC/DC
Back In Black

Green Day
American Idiot

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II

Best of 2006
1 Pearl Jam
2 My Chemical Romance
3 Evanescence
4 AFI
5 Yeah Yeah Yeahs
6 Flyleaf
7 Black Stone Cherry
8 The Raconteurs
9 Hinder
10 Dirty Pretty Things

View Results

Rockin' Hall of Fame - 2006
Artist/Group
Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam
View Results
1 Pearl Jam
2 Led Zeppelin
3 Green Day
4 Evanescence
5 U2
6 Nirvana
7 Foo Fighters
8 AC/DC
9 The Beatles
10 Elvis Presley
Top Five Songs of 2006
Pearl Jam World Wide Suicide
My Chemical Romance Welcome to the Black Parade
Evanescence Call Me When You're Sober
AFI Miss Murder
Pearl Jam Life Wasted

I like this line right here:"Pearl Jam fans seemed to thrive, almost defiantly, on their self-perceived underdog status."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:21 pm 
Global Moderator

I don't know what this site is, but I'm always happy to see Pearl Jam get recognition.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:57 pm 
Unthought Known

Interesting, considering Vitalogy is a better album than Ten.

And for most of us, Pearl Jam is our religion. Fanaticism just goes with the territory.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam