Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Vote
Long Road 43%  43%  [ 51 ]
Light Years 35%  35%  [ 41 ]
Come Back 17%  17%  [ 20 ]
None of the above 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Can't decide 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 117
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:52 pm 
Global Moderator

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
A number of people have mentioned that Sad should have been part of this competition, for lack of a better word. First, I didn't choose the songs for this battle; I was simply asked to do the write-up given the three predetermined songs. Sad might just be featured in another "best of" series in the future.

Second, Sad is a bit different from these 3 songs because it's not written from a first-person perspective. The narrator of Sad isn't coping with death personally. And Man of the Hour, also suggested, doesn't quite fit for the same reason IMO. It's not so much a song about coping with death as it is a father/son story.

Just my two cents.

I left sad out for that reason.

As always, if people have ideas for this thing PLEASE pm me. I'm starting to run out.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Raziel wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
I think it's the almost cheesy ballad style of Come back that makes it harder to feel the emotion and sentiment of it. Also all the lines seem rather cliched...

Yeah but if someone you're close to dies you go through all this. At least I did pretty much every time it happened to me.

I was unfortunate to lose someone a couple of years ago and Light Years was some consolation through that..
Had I lost someone more recently, i dare say it would have changed the way i first heard come back.
I'm not going to say that it's wrong for you to relate to and get more emotion from Come Back than me - I think, if anything, we can be grateful for being able to get something different from each song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:05 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I'm not agreeing with the Sad reason, but fair enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:31 pm 
Got Some

Light years

both the song that got me into the group, and just a beautiful song in general.

if otherside was on this I would have chosen that. sad would have also been a good choice.

long road is a strong second

Come Back just Sucks period. while in and of itself not a bad song per se... for some reason it feels like im being sold a cheap macdonalds' pearl jam song... feels a bit cheesy with lots of perservatives.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:15 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Very tough, I can't decide between long road and comeback.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:33 pm 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

driving home from this girls house after watching the episode of scrubs where they play Long Road after they accept this old lady dying, I was listening to light years and thought that we should do this Best of... lo and behold, it is already up. Light Years is my favorite PJ song, so it gets the nod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:46 pm 
Cameron's Stallion

I love Light Years, but Long Road and Come Back are light years better. Light Years has a catchy chorus and some great lyrics, but the muddy production and muted delivery take away from the impact. Long Road's lyrics are the best out of all three, without question. The simple music lends itself well here, and it's an all-around gorgeous song that Ed always sounds great on, then or now.

Still, Come Back wins out in the end for me, due to the perfect delivery. Some of the lyrics are clunky, but death is messy and emotional. Death isn't poetic and straightforward, it's an emotionally confusing and draining time for everyone involved, and I think this song shows Ed at his most stripped-bare, like he wrote this song while actually mourning Johnny. There is some imagery, but it's an extremely straightforward song that I think is much easier to connect with. I also think it shows not only how talented a vocalist Ed is that he makes it work, but also how talented the band is that you don't even really notice or care about any of the clunky lyrics. Long Road and Light Years, like I said, are beautiful. I just rarely connect with a song or become emotionally invested in it like I did with Come Back. For that kind of delivery, it wins in a landslide.

Long Road is still one my favorite openers at a concert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:51 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Long Road has always been one of the songs that I can say about - "This is why I love Pearl Jam".

I first heard it over ten years ago on the radio, and it immediately grabbed my attention and I didn't even know English that well back then.

I was just thinking about how the song came to be, about the story Ed told about it on the last tour. About how it just 'happened', how it was created, or inspired by the moment, the moment he learned about the death of his former teacher.

I guess truly great music is created like that, when you just let the feelings flow, moved by some event, and translate those feelings into words and music without thinking too much, without analyzing. This could also explain why such spiritual music is relatively rare - because moments like these don't happen very often.

The fact that I was so taken by the song even when I didn't understand the lyrics that well, to me suggests that there is something truly universal in the music itself and in the delivery, something that goes beyond language barriers and is captured by feelings common to every human being.

So, yeah, Long Road wins for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:30 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Junco Partner wrote:
Come Back just Sucks period. while in and of itself not a bad song per se... for some reason it feels like im being sold a cheap macdonalds' pearl jam song... feels a bit cheesy with lots of perservatives.

exactly...no real emotion for me either or special sauce, lettuce, cheese etc etc
kinda feel that way about the entire album...its just good rock n roll

Frank RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:35 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Ender wrote:
Long Road has always been one of the songs that I can say about - "This is why I love Pearl Jam".

I first heard it over ten years ago on the radio, and it immediately grabbed my attention and I didn't even know English that well back then.

I was just thinking about how the song came to be, about the story Ed told about it on the last tour. About how it just 'happened', how it was created, or inspired by the moment, the moment he learned about the death of his former teacher.

I guess truly great music is created like that, when you just let the feelings flow, moved by some event, and translate those feelings into words and music without thinking too much, without analyzing. This could also explain why such spiritual music is relatively rare - because moments like these don't happen very often.

The fact that I was so taken by the song even when I didn't understand the lyrics that well, to me suggests that there is something truly universal in the music itself and in the delivery, something that goes beyond language barriers and is captured by feelings common to every human being.

So, yeah, Long Road wins for me.

other than the not understanding english part when i first heard it everything else you said sums it up for me perfectly...its not why i got into them but after they released it i too can say this is why i love pearl jam...doesn't get much better lyrically and emotionally...just an amazing and powerful song

Frank RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:00 am 
Spaceman

Ender wrote:

And here you are ten years later, still a fan and writing in English with perfect eloquence. :thumbsup: That's impressive.

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:07 pm 
Supersonic

I think the choice here is always gonna be personal- for me, certain songs are comforting, even if not death related, at different times of grief-Release, Oceans, Thumbing My Way are examples

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:11 am 
Got Some

no mention of otherside?

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:54 am 
Menace to Dogciety

Come Back sounds more like the guys are covering a slow elvis's song...it doesnt sound like real PJ. So i love both Long Road and Light Years, but Come Back does nothing for me.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:56 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

I went w/ long road even though light years has more meaning to me...it was released (Binaural) a couple of months before my mother died and hearing those lyrics at that time helped a lot especially because that was my mother she was the person that even as sick as she was for so long would always light up a room and make people laugh as well as laugh allot herself-we were but stones your light made us stars-perfect...it also helped that Ed mentioned somewhere that it was written about his aunt who had died i couldn't help but relate it to my mother...so its a very close second only cause the music just doesn't fit as well as long roads...

Frank RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:05 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

I was just thinking about the version of Light Years they did back in 2000 at the Pinkpop festival. I can't remember what exactly Ed said before the song, but he mentioned somebody they lost (I think it might've been someone form their record label working in Holland).

Anyways, at the end of the song added some words "I love you, good bye"... it was a little thing, but unexpected, and I remember it really moved me. Just the way he sang it, I thought it was brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:07 pm 
AnalLog

my second vote is for it's okay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:22 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

warehouse wrote:
my second vote is for it's okay

from va beach...first show in states after roskilde...amazing! and sad...
my mother died a month after, then my father was in the hospital for nearly a month with an unknown illness and almost died, then i, stupidly, nearly killed myself in a car accident a month later...the end of 2000 really sucked!

but all is well now!!!!! :D
had to end this on a lighter note... :)

sorry just venting...

Frank RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:35 am 
Johnny Guitar

Ender wrote:

You hit the nail on the head with that statement :thumbsup:

Long Road is definitely my favorite out of those three choices.

That said I think Light Years fits the category better. For me Long Road and Come Back have the ability to be more flexible in interpretation depending on what you want to take from them at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:45 am 
Force of Nature

long road
light years

i dont care if they are about the same thing, i dont even want to mention come back in the same breath as these other two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam