Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: A guided tour through Ten: Release
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:16 pm 
this doesn't say anything

stip wrote:
BadMusic wrote:
stip wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
The intensity of the Vitalogy debate is interesting. The entire Guided Tour of Ten thread was only 9 pages long.

Ike wasn't around for this one, I guess. :wink:

well I don't think I use the word concept album in here, so he might not have gotten quite as freaked out

do you think Ten works ?

I suppose that depends how you mean it. I think it is an amazing collection of songs, and I think there are certain themes running through pretty much the whole record that gives it a kind of cohension and unity. I think it is more a product of head space and less deliberate than Vitalogy in that regard, but pearl jam has never written a conventional, start to finish, 'concept' album, which is fine with me. They tend to be a little too gimmicky for my tastes. It's more a question of whether or not Eddie is grappling with a particular set of issues throughout the record, which I think is the case most explicitly on Vitalogy, but also the case on S/T, Ten, and after reading Frank's thread I'd include No Code there as well. In no case is every song a perfect fit (even in a case where i think it is intentional, like Vitalogy, it is never totalizing), although they are almost always colored by the same headspace

(I think he was alluding to me riding you for your "it works/it doesn't" nonsense. Very telling reply.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:15 am 
Force of Nature

I will never understand the people that rate any album above Ten/Vitalogy...and Vs can be included in that group....of pearl jam's best albums.

There are few songs on any of the subsequent albums that capture and passion, intensity and emotion of the songs on those first three albums. Ten is a masterpiece....I used to make my own "live" mixes of the songs and play them....again....and again....and again....it's an energizing album...I've been working out to mixes of primarily ten/vs/vitalogy songs for 15 years now. I still feel the rush at the end of Porch (currently the atlanta 4.3.94 version)., the invigoration and hope at the end of Alive.... it's just sheer energy and pure release. There's a connection with the listener. I didn't grow up in an abusive home. I didn't suffer from any economic hardship. Yet there are themes on the album that I can relate to. They are so broad it's hard to believe that at least a few songs don't speak directly to most people. Let's see...Love...Loss...Hope...Vulnerability....Death....Rage....Relationships....Abandonment....Mistrust....Betrayal....yeah. That pretty much runs the gamut.

I'm with you about Ed going back to the wordless vocals...which at times are his most emotive. NO words are needed.

I guess I just can't understand how someone can say Riot Act or Binaural are even in this realm, or stratosphere of musical excellence that these three albums are.

Post subject: Re: A guided tour through Ten
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:30 pm 
Dave A's Slave

Interesting in light of Stip's take on Alive, to begin with the chorus wasn't redemptive, it only transformed into that meaning.

Vedder’s sticking with the underdog, McCready’s classicist rock solo, Gossard, Ament, and Abbruzzese’s solid yet organic and rootsy rhythm section. It’s earnest, it’s got tension, and that nod to classic rock. It’s Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:02 pm 
Got Some

Ten turns 21 today. Took me a while to really start liking it, not until after Jeremy hit big. I eventually got Vs. but not on the day it came out. I did that for Vitalogy though and that was the album that turned me from an "yeah I like them" casual fan to a "travel to different cities to see them play" level of fandom.
I'm thinking No Code came out the same day but in '96.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:52 pm 
Supersonic

God, I remember sitting on my bed after basketball practice about 3 months after Ten came out with my shitty Sony headphones listening to Even Flow and reading the liner notes (trying to figure out what the hell Vedder was saying). The only reason I heard about them was because I just took a campus tour of U of M and Pearl Jam just played Ann Arbor.

I'm old.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:47 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i didn´t care much for Ten...i was a Vs guy and still am...it took me a while to like those songs and i didn`t like how almost every song had the singer going for ooooooo like porch for example...
Vs was more direct, more powerfull and i liked that...with time i came to realize how great the songs on ten are.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:18 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Aliveguy1 wrote:
I will never understand the people that rate any album above Ten/Vitalogy...and Vs can be included in that group....of pearl jam's best albums.

There are few songs on any of the subsequent albums that capture and passion, intensity and emotion of the songs on those first three albums. Ten is a masterpiece....I used to make my own "live" mixes of the songs and play them....again....and again....and again....it's an energizing album...I've been working out to mixes of primarily ten/vs/vitalogy songs for 15 years now. I still feel the rush at the end of Porch (currently the atlanta 4.3.94 version)., the invigoration and hope at the end of Alive.... it's just sheer energy and pure release. There's a connection with the listener. I didn't grow up in an abusive home. I didn't suffer from any economic hardship. Yet there are themes on the album that I can relate to. They are so broad it's hard to believe that at least a few songs don't speak directly to most people. Let's see...Love...Loss...Hope...Vulnerability....Death....Rage....Relationships....Abandonment....Mistrust....Betrayal....yeah. That pretty much runs the gamut.

I'm with you about Ed going back to the wordless vocals...which at times are his most emotive. NO words are needed.

I guess I just can't understand how someone can say Riot Act or Binaural are even in this realm, or stratosphere of musical excellence that these three albums are.

Because music is subjective. For me it depends on the stage in your life and what you're going through at the moment. Ten and Versus were big for me when I was a teenager but I cannot connect to songs like Why Go or Leash anymore in comparison to a Sleight of Hand or I Am Mine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:40 pm 
Supersonic

We're not here without Ten. Master work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:59 am 
Master of Meh

I think I'm here despite Ten.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam