Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Vote
5 Stars: A Lobster 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
4 Stars: A Crab 19%  19%  [ 17 ]
3 Stars: A Prawn 38%  38%  [ 33 ]
2 Stars: A Shrimp 23%  23%  [ 20 ]
1 Star: A Barnacle 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
0 Stars: Sea Lice 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 86
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:50 pm 
Force of Nature

BadMusic wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
BadMusic wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
aprilfifth wrote:
conoalias wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
conoalias wrote:
i love Army Reserve, next to I Am Mine, All Or None & Help Help it's the only post Binaural song i can listen to more than once a day.

But it's not the lyrics that drive your love for the song?

Do you really think that BIG WAVE has the best lyrics on the album, or were you joking?

given the fact that lyrically Avocado is an hopeless album, i wasn't really joking. i love both music and lyrics of Army Reserve. Both are by far 2 of the best additions to their live sets in the last couple of years.

Really? I don't see that at all.

Yeah that really doesn't ring true for me, either. I'd say it's split pretty equally between hopeless songs (WWS, Comatose, Unemployable, Army Reserve) and hopeful songs (Life Wasted, MITS, Parachutes, Inside Job). But ultimately, because of how the tracks are sequenced, it's more hopeful than not.

I may be wrong but I thought cono used "hopeless" to say this album sucked lyrically, and not regarding the themes of the songs
I too nominate Army Reserve as the only thing that is better than Stupid Mop on this record

Liking Stupid Mop over any track on S/T is just nonsense, especially lyrical. Come on, already...

Well, this is just my opinion, almost everything on Avocado have nothing special, they're generic songs with obvious lyrics and obvious music. Stupid Mop is not a song in the classic way, so of course it's hard to compare, but still I think it's a better piece of art than songs on Avocado.

The day Stupid Mop is a piece of art, Ticketmaster will agree to lower ticket prices. So that will be never. If you want a piece of art, listen to Indifference or Immortality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:20 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

dissident27 wrote:
BadMusic wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
BadMusic wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
aprilfifth wrote:
conoalias wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
conoalias wrote:
i love Army Reserve, next to I Am Mine, All Or None & Help Help it's the only post Binaural song i can listen to more than once a day.

But it's not the lyrics that drive your love for the song?

Do you really think that BIG WAVE has the best lyrics on the album, or were you joking?

given the fact that lyrically Avocado is an hopeless album, i wasn't really joking. i love both music and lyrics of Army Reserve. Both are by far 2 of the best additions to their live sets in the last couple of years.

Really? I don't see that at all.

Yeah that really doesn't ring true for me, either. I'd say it's split pretty equally between hopeless songs (WWS, Comatose, Unemployable, Army Reserve) and hopeful songs (Life Wasted, MITS, Parachutes, Inside Job). But ultimately, because of how the tracks are sequenced, it's more hopeful than not.

I may be wrong but I thought cono used "hopeless" to say this album sucked lyrically, and not regarding the themes of the songs
I too nominate Army Reserve as the only thing that is better than Stupid Mop on this record

Liking Stupid Mop over any track on S/T is just nonsense, especially lyrical. Come on, already...

Well, this is just my opinion, almost everything on Avocado have nothing special, they're generic songs with obvious lyrics and obvious music. Stupid Mop is not a song in the classic way, so of course it's hard to compare, but still I think it's a better piece of art than songs on Avocado.

The day Stupid Mop is a piece of art, Ticketmaster will agree to lower ticket prices. So that will be never. If you want a piece of art, listen to Indifference or Immortality.

Yeah I think I've heard these songs, once or twice maybe, I don't remember. But that's really not the point we were adressing, right ? And that point was off-topic anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:54 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

BadMusic wrote:

Maybe we use words that are too generic to describe our opinions of songs. There is nothing "generic" about these lyrics

I scream in affirmation
Of connecting dislocations
And exceeding limitations
By achieving levitation

Many here don't like them, and may even be embarrassed by them, but I think that you would be hard pressed to find anything even remotely like them on a Maroon 5 or Fallout Boy album.

Likewise,

you are unlikely to find anything similar to these lyrics on a Nickelback album:

There is a sickness,...... A sickness coming over me
Like watching freedom,. Being sucked straight out to sea
And the solution?,........ Well, from me far would it be
But the delusion,.......... Is feeling dangerous to me

Some of us like these lyrics very much, others may find them pretentious, but they provide somewhat more fodder for discussion than say these lyrics:

Hey! Hey! You! You!
I don't like your girlfriend!
No way! No way!
I think you need a new one
Hey! Hey! You! You!
I could be your girlfriend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:05 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

SLH916 wrote:
BadMusic wrote:

Maybe we use words that are too generic to describe our opinions of songs. There is nothing "generic" about these lyrics

I scream in affirmation
By achieving levitation

I think I said earlier that this song probably had the best lyrics on this record. They're not tremendous though

SLH916 wrote:
Many here don't like them, and may even be embarrassed by them, but I think that you would be hard pressed to find anything even remotely like them on a Maroon 5 or Fallout Boy album.

Likewise,

you are unlikely to find anything similar to these lyrics on a Nickelback album:

Some of us like these lyrics very much, others may find them pretentious, but they provide somewhat more fodder for discussion than say these lyrics:

Hey! Hey! You! You!
No way! No way!
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Being better than crap doesn't make anything good, right ? I really think those lines from MITS you just quoted are awful, especially the ones I bolded. Awkward writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

BadMusic wrote:
Being better than crap doesn't make anything good, right ? I really think those lines from MITS you just quoted are awful, especially the ones I bolded. Awkward writing.

To me this line, in particular, is an outstanding description of what some of us in the US have felt over the past 7 years:

But the delusion,.......... Is feeling dangerous to me.

The rest of the stanza describes a condition that we Americans have had to deal with, an economic and foreign policy that has left us, as a nation, with few good options. In my opinon the whole song is an outstanding piece of pop songwriting that conveys very complex ideas using melodic variation, time shifts and instrumental interplay to underscore a whole series of relatively complex ideas that have immediacy as it relates to our current situation, but are ultimately timeless. But, of course, that is just my opinion. And it seems that most in this forum are not fans of this song.

There are those who don't think that the lyrics to GIRLFRIEND are crap either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:41 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

This SOTM has gotten really salty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:13 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

Do you mean that in a lemon-butter on lobster kind of way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:30 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

SLH916 wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

Do you mean that in a lemon-butter on lobster kind of way?

Kind of a pun. As in some people are getting aggravated (re: salty), whereas an ocenan's wave is salty. Thanks for making an ass out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:46 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Thanks for making an ass out of me.

I wouldn't say that our exchange had that result. If anything, it defused the escalation in a war of lyrics that would have made Avril Lavigne's GIRLFRIEND the only song left standing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:40 pm 
Stone's Butch

dissident27 wrote:
I love PJ's throwaway songs: Whipping, Habit, Lukin, Brain of J, MFC,

What the fuck?

Anyway.....Big Wave blows. I give it 2. I skip it every single time, although I don't listen to this album much anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:23 pm 
Global Moderator

BadMusic wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
BadMusic wrote:

I scream in affirmation
By achieving levitation

I think I said earlier that this song probably had the best lyrics on this record. They're not tremendous though

SLH916 wrote:

Likewise,

Hey! Hey! You! You!
No way! No way!
Hey! Hey! You! You!

I don't like the solution lyric but the rest of that is decent and overall the lyrics on Marker are quite strong--as SLH said, they are easy enough to relate to, unfortunatley

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:47 pm 
Founding Bitch
 WWW  Profile

This thread is....interesting.

When I first heard the album the only thing I liked about Big Wave was the music. It took a few listens for it to grow on me and now I like it quite a bit. It's a fun little song and the outro music is still the best part.

3.5 stars

At night I drink myself to sleep and pretend
I don't care that you're not here with me
Cause it's so much easier to handle
all my problems if I'm too far out to sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:37 am 
Of Counsel

I love love LOVE this song. The most fun PJ song in years. No pretension, just rockin out.

Except that teh lyrics are actually pretty thought provoking, if you let your mind be provoked.

Can't give it five stars, because it's not a GREAT song by any means, but it gets a solid four for being cool as all get out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:45 am 
Of Counsel

aprilfifth wrote:
The music for Parachutes (to me) just feels like the ocean. It feels like I'm out there on a nice calm day floating, feeling my body sway and dip over the water in the same kind of rythym of the quirky little tempo of Paracutes.

Yup. Makes me want look for Ralph over the side of the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:52 pm 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

It is hard to believe that a band that has written songs lke Black, Betterman, Indifference, etc. would write this crapp crapp song. Anything on riot act is better than this . Follows up the best song on the album too, unemployable.

Post subject: Re: SOTM#92: Got Me A Big Wave....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:38 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

This song randomly popped on at my work computer.

:bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:41 pm 
Coast to Coast

Never developed a taste for this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:41 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I believe a write up referred to Stone and Mike as an 8 legged guitar monster in this song. pretty much. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:59 pm 
Master of Meh

62strat wrote:
:bammer:

:bammer:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

A song.
that´s it...i dont care about the lyrics ...its great stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam