Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rate Come Back
5 Stars: One of the best love songs I've ever heard 22%  22%  [ 20 ]
4 Stars: Very good song 34%  34%  [ 31 ]
3 Stars: Average 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
2 Stars: Meh.... 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
1 Star: Hope it won't come back 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
0 Stars: This piece of shit totally ruins Pearl Jam 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 90
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:07 pm 
Force of Nature

this is one for me that belongs in the thread about "pearl jam songs you can't understand why people hate." and avacado as a whole, really. to me that was one of the greatest pearl jam achievements of all time and it seems like not a lot of others feel the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:22 pm 
Supersonic

sergeant wrote:
this is one for me that belongs in the thread about "pearl jam songs you can't understand why people hate." and avacado as a whole, really. to me that was one of the greatest pearl jam achievements of all time and it seems like not a lot of others feel the same way.

Never underestimate the power of time. People tend to build up a powerful emotional reaction to the music a band releases in the first few year's of their fandom, and then tend to dismiss anything after that as being decent, or good, but rarely top notch. Thus you have a band like The Who, that end up doing entire tours playing uneven Tommy over and over while a really solid album like It's Hard gets totally forgotten. A band that, in fact, essentially gave up on coming up with anything new because nobody wanted to hear new things from them. Sad.

As a closer example, people are really hard on Come Back, which is not a great song but is fairly good and has simple (but not bad) lyrics, but there's a lot of love for retardation like Animal or Why Go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:51 am 
losing relevance

might be the worst pj song ever ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:15 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
As a closer example, people are really hard on Come Back, which is not a great song but is fairly good and has simple (but not bad) lyrics, but there's a lot of love for retardation like Animal or Why Go.

Wow, I'm really not your Animal-Why Go kinda fan, and I still don't like Come Back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

If i listened to this song right now i would bawl my eyes out for hours on an end. Therefore i will not listen to it. nd therefore, the song does exactly what its intended to do. ITs beautiful and i personaly feel if this song doesnt hit you are either

a) lucky
or
b) dead inside

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:19 pm 
AnalLog

tyler wrote:
I like this song, a solid 3 stars from me. My dissapointment is with the solo. I find it horribly boring and unispired - "Gee Stone, I don't know what to play either but Eddie wants a solo. How about I play a scale?" I truly think a better producer would have challenged and pushed Mike and Stone here. Do something new to differentiate this song from the masses. A country twang solo, a 50's style solo, a feedback noise solo even. Anything but the blah we got.

is that the producers job though? i never thought any of pj's producers were involved in the song writting process

solid song, but not great. 3 stars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:38 pm 
Got Some

sergeant wrote:

I actually do understand why people don't like this song, because it's not very Pearl Jam.

To me, it's basically a Motown song. It has that slow groove feel to it, and it reminds me of PJ covering Dock of the Bay, as well as some of their (swingier) old covers like Last Kiss and Little Sister. And I love the way the song feeds off that feeling - it pays tribute to the Motown feel, but the emotion isn't being faked at all.

Another thing I love in the song is it's versatility. It's a pretty sad song, but I had the feeling when it was first released that if they really let the solo go that it could end up being a great, almost Ledbetter-like closer. as sad as the words are, the solo is simple but redeeming. It's an uplifting, saving final minute. I still think if Mike really let loose with it, just really got to play that out for a while, that it could be an explosive, beautiful emotional way to end. Add in Ed wailing out, "I'll be here. Come back" and you have yourself a nice closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:31 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mray10 wrote:
Another thing I love in the song is it's versatility. It's a pretty sad song, but I had the feeling when it was first released that if they really let the solo go that it could end up being a great, almost Ledbetter-like closer. as sad as the words are, the solo is simple but redeeming. It's an uplifting, saving final minute. I still think if Mike really let loose with it, just really got to play that out for a while, that it could be an explosive, beautiful emotional way to end. Add in Ed wailing out, "I'll be here. Come back" and you have yourself a nice closer.

I'm not a huge fan of the song, but i agree that it'd be a great closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:52 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

warehouse wrote:
tyler wrote:
I like this song, a solid 3 stars from me. My dissapointment is with the solo. I find it horribly boring and unispired - "Gee Stone, I don't know what to play either but Eddie wants a solo. How about I play a scale?" I truly think a better producer would have challenged and pushed Mike and Stone here. Do something new to differentiate this song from the masses. A country twang solo, a 50's style solo, a feedback noise solo even. Anything but the blah we got.

is that the producers job though? i never thought any of pj's producers were involved in the song writting process

solid song, but not great. 3 stars

even though i don't agree with tyler on what adam should've said, he's right that one role of the producer is to influence the direction of the music. however, all of pj's albums are produced by (so and so) and pearl jam, so that also shows you that it's much more pearl jam than the producer in these decisions dealing with the final musical product, although the sound is often influenced depending on the producer(but also the engineers, mixers, etc). but the producer also has to keep in mind the wishes of the band, which is what was done here. the band didn't want the song to finish with a feedback solo, they wanted a liberating, classic feeling solo. But I'm just gonna make a wild guess here that it was not pearl jam's idea to fade life wasted, but adam kasper's. and that's a decision i don't have a problem with... i don't find the original solo all that great(if i want a blistering solo i'll listen to megadeth, and i only say that because i did last night), but many people do have a problem with that decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:33 pm 
Force of Nature

McParadigm wrote:
sergeant wrote:

Never underestimate the power of time. People tend to build up a powerful emotional reaction to the music a band releases in the first few year's of their fandom, and then tend to dismiss anything after that as being decent, or good, but rarely top notch. Thus you have a band like The Who, that end up doing entire tours playing uneven Tommy over and over while a really solid album like It's Hard gets totally forgotten. A band that, in fact, essentially gave up on coming up with anything new because nobody wanted to hear new things from them. Sad.

i agree, and for that reason i'm glad that i didn't become a fan until 2000-ish because i can enjoy albums like no code and binaural and avacado, rather than be disappointed with them. i actually kinda feel bad for the people that couldn't get into the post-vitalogy albums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:30 am 
Resident Frat Dick

3 stars. Average. Overrated in my book, but it's still a PJ song so I like it lots.

Even Flow is better.

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:07 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
3 stars. Average. Overrated in my book, but it's still a PJ song so I like it lots.

Even Flow is better.

for that matter, Immortality is better too, and better than Even Flow.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:35 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

I'd give it a 4.5, probably the best song on the album, but maybe Army Reserve is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:47 pm 
Banned from the Pit

62strat wrote:
If i listened to this song right now i would bawl my eyes out for hours on an end. Therefore i will not listen to it. nd therefore, the song does exactly what its intended to do. ITs beautiful and i personaly feel if this song doesnt hit you are either

a) lucky
or
b) dead inside

Yeah...I have to agree with this. This is a really moving song, and it may be simple, but the message is universal to anyone that has lost someone. It might not be on my favorite songs list, but it definately deserves 4 stars in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:29 pm 
Got Some

almost as bad as jeremy, though i give this song more credit than that.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:03 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

Junco Partner wrote:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:11 am 
Got Some

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
Junco Partner wrote:

:lol:

I thought you might get a kick out of that frank

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post subject: Re: SOTM #95 I'll be here...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:18 pm 
Global Moderator

New SOTM will be up thursday or Friday, unless someone would like to volunteer to do one earlier

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I also don’t understand the dislike for this song. It’s a bare, stripped down plaintive ode to a loved one who’s passed away and I really relate to that. I like the slow, building guitar solo. And I think the lyrics, being straight forward, work well the rootsy Motown mood of the song.

Hearing it live was special for me. I give something between a three a four.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:26 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I took a close listen to this song today and what a disasterous mish-mash of musical styles.

1. You've got Matt Cameron rushing the beat with a miltary style pattern on his high-hat, but then again he gets a thumbs up for some very well placed cymbal splashes,
2. Stone, Jeff and Boom playing this beautiful music together. Probably best use of Boom in a song and Jeff is sublime, love Stone's county inspired groove,
3. Mike's solo, what a bore. It does nothing for me.

If Pearl Jam was ever looking for a reason to look for a new producer this song has it. You're the f***** producer, take some control and help the band shape the song.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam