Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rate Come Back
5 Stars: One of the best love songs I've ever heard 22%  22%  [ 20 ]
4 Stars: Very good song 34%  34%  [ 31 ]
3 Stars: Average 25%  25%  [ 23 ]
2 Stars: Meh.... 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
1 Star: Hope it won't come back 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
0 Stars: This piece of shit totally ruins Pearl Jam 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 90
 Post subject: Re: SOTM #95 I'll be here...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:35 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tyler wrote:
I took a close listen to this song today and what a disasterous mish-mash of musical styles.

1. You've got Matt Cameron rushing the beat with a miltary style pattern on his high-hat, but then again he gets a thumbs up for some very well placed cymbal splashes,
2. Stone, Jeff and Boom playing this beautiful music together. Probably best use of Boom in a song and Jeff is sublime, love Stone's county inspired groove,
3. Mike's solo, what a bore. It does nothing for me.

If Pearl Jam was ever looking for a reason to look for a new producer this song has it. You're the f***** producer, take some control and help the band shape the song.

Yeah, you're right. Apparently the band spent ages on this song not knowing how to make it turn out - they added parts in then took them out, and ended up underplaying the whole thing pretty much. The end result was just an average version of what could have been something really interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:59 pm 
Force of Nature

I love this song.
Was angry I didn't get to hear it in Boston.
Finally got to hear it live at San Francisco. Sounded great.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:37 am 
Johnny Guitar

I can't think of anything positive about this song, one of the worst on Avocado.
Won't want to hear it at a concert, it's too slow and long. 3 stars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:03 pm 
Global Moderator

nothing good and you still give it 3 stars? What would it take for a song to get 1

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
nothing good and you still give it 3 stars? What would it take for a song to get 1

:lol: i was thinking this too

hmm i've probably posted in this topic
i like this song
it's a good one

i think it's very affecting; diff'ent strokes
plus i like the solo.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:28 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I love this song, but I hate the solo. The verse melody, with it's gentle rise and fall is just lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:16 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

SLH916 wrote:
I love this song, but I hate the solo. The verse melody, with it's gentle rise and fall is just lovely.

Really, you hate the solo? That's my favorite part of the song. It breaks my heart more than any of the words come close to doing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:57 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
SLH916 wrote:

Really, you hate the solo? That's my favorite part of the song. It breaks my heart more than any of the words come close to doing.

I think that a revved up guitar solo complete with distortion ruins the mood of a soulful ballad with a delicate melody. I've been thinking about this song because of the level of hate such a well-written song gets here. It's inconceivable to me. I liked it very much on S/T, despite the over-driven, smaltzy solo, and the horrible, flat production. I can't decide which song comes off worse production-wise on the album, SEVERED HAND or COME BACK, but after listening to ITW, I think that a sparser approach would have served the song well, and given Eddie's voice a chance to be the focus of the song rather than having to compete with so many moving parts. Perhaps piano only accompaniment like Eddie and Tim Finn on STUFF AND NONSENSE. After ITW, perhaps completely different instrumental approaches will be considered for the next album rather than the need for every song to have guitar, bass and drums.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:12 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

this solo, imo, clearly belongs to another era which isn't the 50s or 60s r'n'b at all. what the fuck were they thinking? whitesnake? poison? guns and roses?? if i had time on my hand when i go to our studio i'd edit it out for personal enjoyment - the clean tone bit of guitar right before it is spot-on; it could have lasted twice the bars it lasts, maybe developping the motif even more and then go right into "i'll be here". that's probably what they would have done circa 95/96 i think.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:17 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

SLH916 wrote:
after listening to ITW, I think that a sparser approach would have served the song well, and given Eddie's voice a chance to be the focus of the song rather than having to compete with so many moving parts. Perhaps piano only accompaniment like Eddie and Tim Finn on STUFF AND NONSENSE. After ITW, perhaps completely different instrumental approaches will be considered for the next album rather than the need for every song to have guitar, bass and drums.

there's an interesting thought. have you heard the bootleg that's circulating around from the club gig in Boston (i think it was boston). the quality of the boot isn't great but the performance is stunning. it's better than the new zealand shows.

support public radio http://www.wtmd.org/index.html

AHOF Lifetime Achievement Honoree

May there be an ever after, after all.

I won’t call you surely, if you forget I have a drinking problem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:24 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mastaflatch wrote:
this solo, imo, clearly belongs to another era which isn't the 50s or 60s r'n'b at all. what the fuck were they thinking? whitesnake? poison? guns and roses?? if i had time on my hand when i go to our studio i'd edit it out for personal enjoyment - the clean tone bit of guitar right before it is spot-on; it could have lasted twice the bars it lasts, maybe developping the motif even more and then go right into "i'll be here". that's probably what they would have done circa 95/96 i think.

Are you reading my mind? Those three-note runs are beautiful. They could even have added an instrumental verse as they did on IMMORTALITY. Clean and melodic. And that's what they would have done if this song had been performed prior to Yield. Yup, I agree with you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:28 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Alessiana wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
after listening to ITW, I think that a sparser approach would have served the song well, and given Eddie's voice a chance to be the focus of the song rather than having to compete with so many moving parts. Perhaps piano only accompaniment like Eddie and Tim Finn on STUFF AND NONSENSE. After ITW, perhaps completely different instrumental approaches will be considered for the next album rather than the need for every song to have guitar, bass and drums.

there's an interesting thought. have you heard the bootleg that's circulating around from the club gig in Boston (i think it was boston). the quality of the boot isn't great but the performance is stunning. it's better than the new zealand shows.

I haven't heard it. I would love to. Why has Eddie done so little singing with piano only accompaniment? Now that they have Boom, there's just no excuse for it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:29 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

SLH916 wrote:
Alessiana wrote:
SLH916 wrote:

I haven't heard it. I would love to. Why has Eddie done so little singing with piano only accompaniment? Now that they have Boom, there's just no excuse for it.

Well like you said, maybe now is good. : )

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:34 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Alessiana wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
Alessiana wrote:
SLH916 wrote:

Well like you said, maybe now is good. : )

If Eddie does some solo shows, this is one song that would be lovely in a stripped down setting. I wonder what the demo version sounded like?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:49 am 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

SLH916 wrote:
If Eddie does some solo shows, this is one song that would be lovely in a stripped down setting. I wonder what the demo version sounded like?

I'd like to hear it in a stripped down version as well, especially if it's just the piano/organ and Ed. Someday, perhaps....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:08 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

i don't think i've listened to this song since the tour and i don't know i will again.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

corduroy_blazer wrote:
i don't think i've listened to this song since the tour and i don't know i will again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:50 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

Lessie, what show is that from?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:03 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

07-16-2006

: )

Great clips from this show on You Tube. Even I Got Shit, which I know people don't like live (although I do) is special. Eddie is so into it that it's a trip to watch. It was these clips that had my buddy at work going "OMG this is so good OMG this is so good" and made him a fan. MSN streaming Immagine helped too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:32 pm 
this doesn't say anything

Alessiana wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

07-16-2006

: )

Great clips from this show on You Tube. Even I Got Shit, which I know people don't like live (although I do) is special. Eddie is so into it that it's a trip to watch. It was these clips that had my buddy at work going "OMG this is so good OMG this is so good" and made him a fan. MSN streaming Immagine helped too.

I thought the end of this song was second only to immortality in the coliseum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam