Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rate Marker in the Sand
5 Stars: God what do you say? 43%  43%  [ 48 ]
4 Stars: Very Good 35%  35%  [ 39 ]
3: Stars: Average 17%  17%  [ 19 ]
2: Stars: What went wrong? 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
1: Star: I feel a sickness... 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
0: Star: God what do you say? 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 111
 Post subject: Re: SOTM #100: God, What do you say...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:32 pm 
Global Moderator

Juvenal wrote:
conoalias wrote:
i've never really understood the hype around this song. Musically it's kinda cool since its different than anything else they've done. Unlike most of you i find the lyrics to be kind of bland. I see what Eddie was trying to get at, but he kind of got there too easy almost. And the chorus is musically about the worst transition coming out of a verse ever in a Pearl Jam song.

:thumbsup: Up there with Pilate in that department, for sure.

i used to feel that way, but one day the transition just made sense to me, which bumped marker up into the top 5 on avocado for me.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:02 pm 
Unthought Known

I voted 5 stars

I love the dichotomy of the music. Part beautiful melody, part nitty gritty AC/DC style rawk. It's easily one of my faves on Avocado.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:10 pm 
Force of Nature

I voted 3 stars for average, it's not that it's a bad song, it just doesn't float my boat all that much :|

http://db.etree.org/tinyredmosquito

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:29 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
I don't know what to say about MITS that hasn't already been said here. I adore this song, most likely because Ed isn't really pointing fingers at a specific group of people, but at every-fucking-body, God included. Ed's lyrics blend anger and confusion extremely well, and the music is compelling, especially the jam at the end.

One complaint: in the lyric book to S/T, that musical coda is complemented with the phrase "Calling you out," referring to God. But there's no "you" in the recorded version. Why? It would have made it a much stronger line if Ed had simply sang that little word. Maybe he couldn't figure out how to sing it. Not a big gripe, but just a little glitch in what is ultimately a great song, at least for me. MITS --> Parachutes is a great, great segue and a fine example of how the proper tracklisting can really shine new light on an album and how we hear the tracks. My third favorite on S/T, and one of PJ's best political songs ever. Good stuff.

This is still one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs ever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:38 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

SLH916 wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
I don't know what to say about MITS that hasn't already been said here. I adore this song, most likely because Ed isn't really pointing fingers at a specific group of people, but at every-fucking-body, God included. Ed's lyrics blend anger and confusion extremely well, and the music is compelling, especially the jam at the end.

One complaint: in the lyric book to S/T, that musical coda is complemented with the phrase "Calling you out," referring to God. But there's no "you" in the recorded version. Why? It would have made it a much stronger line if Ed had simply sang that little word. Maybe he couldn't figure out how to sing it. Not a big gripe, but just a little glitch in what is ultimately a great song, at least for me. MITS --> Parachutes is a great, great segue and a fine example of how the proper tracklisting can really shine new light on an album and how we hear the tracks. My third favorite on S/T, and one of PJ's best political songs ever. Good stuff.

This is still one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs ever.

it still leaves me worn out after listening to it after the first 4 tracks ...at the end its almost like thank God when Parachutes comes on...perfect transition and i dont even like Parachutes a whole lot (or at least i say that until it comes on then i sing it all the way through) :oops:

Frank RIP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:38 am 
Global Moderator

my love for this one has cooled a bit (production maybe), but I'll never forget my first listen of this one. The chorus left me breathless

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:42 am 
Former PJ Drummer

I will always remember how we would totally explode from amazement when MITS leaked. Frank, Coach and myself among others. Still absolutely adore the song. And I still owe SLH an explanation why V for Vendetta and this ine go hand in hand. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:21 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Angus wrote:
I will always remember how we would totally explode from amazement when MITS leaked. Frank, Coach and myself among others. Still absolutely adore the song. And I still owe SLH an explanation why V for Vendetta and this ine go hand in hand. :)

I would love to read it.

My daughter introduced my to Pearl Jam through this album. WWS used to play on the radio then, and she pointed it out to me. I loved that song right away. Finally she got me to listen to the whole album, and this song stood out above all of the others. The lyrical content was explosive, and pertained to things that I'd been thinking about at the time, and the shift in tone between the verses and choruses and the changing focus of the lyrics blew me away. It's a song that you can sing along to without even listening to the content. This song is also a good illustration of the symbiotic relationship between Eddie and Matt Cameron. The drum cadence and the metric cadence of the lyrics are a perfect match. They've almost become one entity in the band.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:12 pm 
Got Some

The first song i feel in love with on s/t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:35 am 
Got Some

Any mention of God in an EV lyric is ironic, for sure.
He is an unrepentant atheist, I don't think there's any doubt.

The sentiments in this song are similar to the first verse of Faithful.
"God what do you say?" is rhetorical, certainly when you realize this it adds another dimension to the meaning of the song.

We're killing and dying in God's name yet there is no God. Ain't that the shits...

but I wouldn't hold my breath

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:49 pm 
Global Moderator

Man in Black wrote:
Any mention of God in an EV lyric is ironic, for sure.

The sentiments in this song are similar to the first verse of Faithful.
"God what do you say?" is rhetorical, certainly when you realize this it adds another dimension to the meaning of the song.

We're killing and dying in God's name yet there is no God. Ain't that the shits...

but I could also see him being the kind of athiest who is mad at god for not existing (and putting everything right)--who talks to him hoping for an answer even though he doesn't expect one (not so much in faithful, but perhaps in here)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:11 pm 
AnalLog

Man in Black wrote:

i dont like to guess about people i dont knows' faith, but im gonna disagree w/ this. theres way too much spirituality in pj's lyrics for me to think this

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:26 pm 
Global Moderator

warehouse wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

i dont like to guess about people i dont knows' faith, but im gonna disagree w/ this. theres way too much spirituality in pj's lyrics for me to think this

spirituality (the way I think you mean it here) is about the way you relate to your place in the universe. I don't think it really has to have a god figure in it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:35 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

spirituality (the way I think you mean it here) is about the way you relate to your place in the universe. I don't think it really has to have a god figure in it

i dont think there's a god figure either, its more like the power of the universe is a god-like figure. i must sound like im high

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:53 pm 
Global Moderator

warehouse wrote:
stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

i dont think there's a god figure either, its more like the power of the universe is a god-like figure. i must sound like im high

I don't think that is inconsistent with MiB's claim, although he'd have to be the one to answer that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:57 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:
stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

I don't think that is inconsistent with MiB's claim, although he'd have to be the one to answer that.

would that be agnostic then?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:46 pm 
Global Moderator

warehouse wrote:
stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:
stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

athiesm, as I'd define it, is the belief that there is no divine being with any kind of conscious agency acting upon the world. If god is love, what is best in humanity, the universe in its entirety I don't think that precludes athiesm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:26 pm 
Force of Nature

stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:
stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:
stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

athiesm, as I'd define it, is the belief that there is no divine being with any kind of conscious agency acting upon the world. If god is love, what is best in humanity, the universe in its entirety I don't think that precludes athiesm.

don't forget he's engaged or married with a child - maybe that has an influence on his beliefs or perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:46 am 
Got Some

warehouse wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

Do you understand the lyrics to Faithful?
Echoes...that nobody hears...

http://www.celebatheists.com/index.php? ... die_Vedder

but I wouldn't hold my breath

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:29 pm 
AnalLog

Man in Black wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

Do you understand the lyrics to Faithful?
Echoes...that nobody hears...

http://www.celebatheists.com/index.php? ... die_Vedder

oh ok, now i know where to find the beliefs of people i dont know. thanks im convinced

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam