Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: New Matt Cameron interview
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:53 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

http://www.americanmusic.com/drumcorner.php

It's a good read.

j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:00 pm 
Force of Nature

Very cool, great read. I love that he mentions Neko Case too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:01 pm 
Force of Nature

Very cool, great read. I love that he mentions Neko Case too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:26 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Quote:
The fact that Eddie Vedder likes to play 3 hour plus shows a night, I have to be ready for that

This is my favorite quote by far!! ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:48 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

To kick things off, I have a conversation with Matt Cameron from
Pearl Jam, and formerly of Soundgarden. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Modern Drummer interview you gave shortly after touring with Pearl Jam, you had said that it was unlikely that you'd join the group at that time. Now it's six years later. What changed your mind?

When I first went on tour with PJ in '98, I was still in shock having gone through the Soundgarden break up. Joining another big time rock band was the last thing I was looking for, but as the tour went on, I really dug playing to a lot of people, the band sounded great, and just being out there again, got me over my depression and so I decided to hop on board.

What's different about the songwriting process from Soundgarden to Pearl Jam? Were both groups immediately receptive to your songs or did you suffer from the usual drummer stereotype "hey guys, I have a song, too" syndrome?

I think every band is a little cautious when the drummer starts to write tunes. I had success writing within Soundgarden, but that took years of writing duds and years of having my tunes laughed out of the building. I was dealing with some extremely talented songwriters in Soundgarden, so I knew my stuff had to "reach the bar". After a while my stuff fit in with the band, and that is what I am continuing to do with PJ, or any other situation, where I am lucky enough to contribute creatively. Your songwriting, drummer or non drummer, has to fit the band/artist.

What's the current status with Wellwater?

Status is: GO

Over the past few years you've done some session work with a variety of artists. Is that something you enjoy and would like to do more of?

I have enjoyed it tremendously, and yes, doing more sessions would be great. I am more known as a band guy, so I am not on the"list", but I enjoy working locally with my own band(s), and circle of friends. I would never want to live in L.A., and I made that decision years ago, so I never chose that path for myself, although I have much respect for those that do it at a high level.

Speaking of sesion work, did you enjoy the recording Geddy Lee's album? Since you are one of the few drummers that he's worked with other than Neil, did he mention any changes in his approach to locking in with you and conversely, did you alter your style to fit his playing?

That was a very fun time indeed. Geddy and I had lunch recently, and his eyes are still twinkling. He was so great in the studio, and his tracks were totally cool. The bass tracks were pre recorded, as were most of the tracks (in Logic Audio), and I tracked to those, and they mostly edited my tracks together. We jammed one night in the studio.

Along the same lines, can you describe the effect that playing with Ben and Jeff have had on your approach considering they have very two fairly different styles from one anther?

Ben was more improvisational, and relied less on methodology, and basically is a guitarist who switched to bass, whereas Jeff has a more traditional approach to playing bass in a band, and has a great sense of what his band sounds like, and we lock up nicely.

Are there any groups or solo artists that you'd really like to work with?

All my perennial favs like Neko Case, PJ Harvey, Thelonius Monk (oops!), Glenn Branca, Young Gods, Jeff Buckley (RIP).

In a Zildjian ad that ran a few years ago, John Tempesta called you the "Steve Gadd of heavy rock" and you would come out of nowhere these odd time beats/phrases. Was there anything in particular that drew you to odd-metered music?

Many drummers who get into that style of playing and writing often end up being known for only their technique and not their feel. How did you avoid that? I guess by taking lessons early on, and really trying to play all the rudimentary stuff, and try to have it sound as good as my teacher. It took a lot of practice, which I enjoyed, and still do.

Are there any bands or drummers that have caught your ear lately or that you just discovered even if THEY'VE been around awhile?

Zach Hill of the band Hella. He is an absolute untouchable monster. I also love?uestlove to pieces. He has the prettiest sound out there. I love the way Pharell is laying down great drum tracks. He is a great drummer. Al Jackson Jr., still the greatest.

When you look back (or maybe IF you look back) at your previous recordings, do any of the drum sounds stick out as favorites to you?
Since you've done a good amount of recording/engineering yourself, do you have any tips for getting a good sound, or favorite mics, etc.?

I like the big rock sounds of Superunknown, and the 4-track cassete sounds on the early Wellwater stuff. My recording career has luckily run the gamut of recording environments. I do consider it a good thing that the Soundgarden catalogue was recorded in analog, pre Pro Tools.

When you go in to do a record at this point in your career, do you ever find yourself saying "I want my drums to sound like so & so's from their last album" or is it now more the case of just tuning the drums to themselves and also for the room?

I show up ready to play, so I normally try and fit the situation.

Speaking of tuning and recording, you've had a long association with Gregg Keplinger and from what I gather, a pretty deep friendship as well. He's often remarked at how your playing and overall approach continue to suprise and influence him after all of this time. Can you tell me how you two met and what if any impact he has had on you ?

I met Gregg in '85/86, and have been close friends and associates ever since.

How did Elvin's passing affect you having been an influence?

Live life to the fullest, and focus on the positive.

You've been in the music business for quite some time now and still appear to be in great shape. Do you follow any particular diet or exercise routine?

I've talked to some drummers who seem to have a very hard time staying in shape on the road, including some drummers touring with high-profile acts that don't have to live on fast food every night. The fact that Eddie Vedder likes to play 3 hour plus shows a night, I have to be ready for that. I try and stay limber, swim, run, ride motorcycles. I always loose a little weight on the road, so I constantly have to be on top of my nutrition and hydration. I ain't 27 anymore, and boy, does my body let me know it occasionally, but it is something I have been able to manage over time. I eat lots of red meat on the road.

What's your favorite non music related thing or hobby to do?

Organic vegetable gardening. Sauces. Cooking for my family.

What four or five CD's/albums do YOU think every drummer should own and why?

1. Stevie Wonder - Innervisions: Funkiest drum tracks ever recorded.
2. Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information: Elegant and funky guitar prodigy circa '73. Incredible drummer.
3. Duke Ellington - Money Jungle: Max Roach killing it with the Duke and Mingus.
4. Led Zep - Physical Graffiti: King bonzo laying down the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:47 pm 
Supersonic

Very nice read, thanks for posting that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:54 pm 
Johnny Guitar

NOTHINGFAN wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:59 pm 
Supersonic

Clone wrote:
NOTHINGFAN wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:25 pm 
Founding Bitch
 WWW  Profile

sward wrote:
Quote:
The fact that Eddie Vedder likes to play 3 hour plus shows a night, I have to be ready for that

This is my favorite quote by far!! ;-)

Yah, I like that one too. :P

Thanks for posting this. Good read.

At night I drink myself to sleep and pretend
I don't care that you're not here with me
Cause it's so much easier to handle
all my problems if I'm too far out to sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:09 am 
Got Some

Quote:
What's your favorite non music related thing or hobby to do?

Organic vegetable gardening. Sauces. Cooking for my family.

HAHAHA!!! Quote of the year...even if there's only a couple days left in it.

PATS 38 GIANTS 10 - However I do see a chance the Pats letting it all hang out and scoring 56 or 63 points. Just realize that you will NEVER see a team like this again in your lifetime.... that is until next year...... 38-0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:37 am 
Johnny Guitar

this is what i like about this forum, things i find out otherwise i would never of known.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:11 am 
Force of Nature

Cool interview. Anyone know why Wellwater Conspiracy doesn't really tour? Or have they extensively in the past?

Heard one person starve, I heard many people laughin'...."
-Bob Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:12 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

sounds like matt`s missing soundgarden :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:29 pm 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

agent cooper wrote:
sounds like matt`s missing soundgarden :x

...as am I. I wouldn't necessarily say Matt is, though.

But what, pray tell, do you mean by :x ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:34 am 

hailhail50 wrote:
Cool interview. Anyone know why Wellwater Conspiracy doesn't really tour? Or have they extensively in the past?

They don't tour much. The reason for that is probably other commitments (Matt with Pearl Jam) and maybe the lack of friends/session guys who want to tour with them. I think they boyth have young children, too, which for most is a serious impediment to touring.

j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:38 pm 
Got Some

Mitchell613 wrote:
Clone wrote:
NOTHINGFAN wrote:

yeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:58 pm 
Force of Nature

Good read! Thanks for the link 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:51 pm 
Got Some

Quote:
Are there any bands or drummers that have caught your ear lately or that you just discovered even if THEY'VE been around awhile?

Zach Hill of the band Hella. He is an absolute untouchable monster.

Fuckin A!! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:24 am 

kilman wrote:
Matt Cameron wrote:
Zach Hill of the band Hella. He is an absolute untouchable monster.

Fuckin A!! :thumbsup:

I want either:

A. A Hella record; or
B. A copy of the Matt Cameron/Janet Weiss/Zach Hill sessions from last year.

Santa is yet to cough up the goods. :x

j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:16 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Roger Daltrey wrote:
Good read! Thanks for the link 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam