Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: A guided tour of Vitalogy: Finished: see 22 for stupid mop
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:45 pm 
Unthought Known

Angus wrote:
I just re-read my Stupid Mop tale. On what drugs was I?

an E ?

I must admit i listened to it once, never again

although it is my favourite album

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:40 pm 
Force of Nature

I just read this thread for the first time, while I spun my Vitalogy vinyl a couple times through. Wow! I feel like I just discovered a whole new album. When Vitalogy first came out, I was somewhat disinterested in it. I think PJ was going in a different direction, at the time, than I was willing to go. I wanted harder, edgier music (emo, punk, indie, etc.) Looking back on it now, perhaps they were just maturing quicker than I was able to keep up with them, being a teenager at the time. Now I feel like I missed out on some quality time with this album over the years. I will not make that same mistake again!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:30 pm 
Global Moderator

thanks for reading :)

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:36 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

i listened yesterday to vitalogy all the way through for the first time in a really long time (i'm much more of a bootleg guy when i feel like listening to pj).

anyways, it's a much better album than i remember it being. the rockers just jumped at me, grabbed me, and beat me, and it was awesome. last exit sounds great. i loved the sound of the guitars on this one, in general. studio corduroy is quite a trip too.

i feel this will be in heavy rotation for the next couple of weeks at least.

btw, i love how shows and album announcements suddenly kickstart the pj thirst. having 10c tix to toronto doesn't hurt either.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

Post subject: Re: A guided tour of Vitalogy:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Have this on. Loud. Great fuckin record.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

yup. it's not only my favourite PJ album but it's also in my all-time top 3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:20 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I didn't jump through hoops to get this on vinyl merely to let it sit on my shelf unplayed. I think I'll spin this as soon as this zeppelin album finishes..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:28 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Just put this back on. What a great fuckin record. My top 3 or 5 Pj records are never set..it's always in flux depending on where i'm at personally or just what I happen to be playing, but taking a long absence from this one is always good, because you come back and it knocks the shit out of you it's that good, and consistently all the way through, good. Yield is very unbalanced and top heavy, No Code too, but this strikes a perfect balance and it's balls out rockin..great record..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:02 am 
Poney Girl

I love Vitalogy-NoCode-Yield

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:09 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Yeah they're the big three to be sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 pm 
Global Moderator

people who think no code and yield are as good as vitalogy are insulting vitalogy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:14 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

So is stip going to be a Mickey kind of poster from now on or what? I mean it's cool to see you try something new but I think you need to work on your style and tone some more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
people who think no code and yield are as good as vitalogy are insulting vitalogy

Thats not fair. You yourself said pearl jam albums are always different to each other. And given that those three are direct siblings in their order of arrival I think its a pretty stunning achievement to get a tired record roll of such quality.

Each of them are brilliant but certainly in their own ways. To say one is better than is below what Ive come to expect from you Stip. Im putting it down to you just having a day...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:44 pm 
Global Moderator

dimejinky99 wrote:
stip wrote:

Thats not fair. You yourself said pearl jam albums are always different to each other. And given that those three are direct siblings in their order of arrival I think its a pretty stunning achievement to get a tired record roll of such quality.

Each of them are brilliant but certainly in their own ways. To say one is better than is below what Ive come to expect from you Stip. Im putting it down to you just having a day...

Different is fine. And they are each trying to do different things. I'm not sure they succeed but the failure is striking in its way. That's fine too, and possibly more interesting. But I've long thought that No Code and Yield are the two most vastly overrated records in their entire catalog (overrated among fans). The overall crop of songs (on both albums) is uneven and No Code in particular has some of the weakest moments on any of their records. I've never come close to understanding why these records are revered the way they are. I wish I did. But Vitalogy is my favorite record of all time by anyone, whereas Yield and No Code are middiling and bottom tier pearl jam albums, respectively. I like them both fine (they're both PJ records after all, and i like all of them), but how so many of you guys consider these records of equal quality to Vitalogy is just baffling to me.

I wish digster would come back and finish his Yield thread. I was really enjoying that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:46 pm 
Got Some

stip wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
stip wrote:

Different is fine. And they are each trying to do different things. That's fine too, and probably more interesting. But I've long thought that No Code and Yield are the two most vastly overrated records in their entire catalog (overrated among fans). I've never come close to understanding why these records are revered the way they are. I wish I did. But Vitalogy is my favorite record of all time by anyone, whereas Yield and No Code are middiling and bottom tier pearl jam albums, respectively. I like them both fine (they're both PJ records after all, and i like all of them), but how so many of you guys consider these records of equal quality to Vitalogy is just baffling to me.

I wish digster would come back and finish his Yield thread. I was really enjoying that.

I like Yield a lot moe than you do, but I generally agree. No Code has some nice songs, but has never been a record I find very compelling as a whole. The adoration it gets among fans always confuses me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I was looking for a Daedalus reference in your review regarding Nothing Man. "Into the sun.." . If you dont know what I am talking about, you should read more books. HAHA sorry, always wanted to say that! (24h party people first scene reference... nevermind....)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:57 pm 
Global Moderator

i'm not sure the dadelus myth applies here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I think it does.
Someone fucked up. Flew too high. Lost her. The Nothingman.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:02 pm 
Global Moderator

ahh, I was thinking the lyric was she's flown away. It makes a little more sense with the he, but in the myth the 'into the sun' metaphor is about ambition and reaching beyond what you're capable of. Is that really the case here?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 pm 
Got Some

stip wrote:
ahh, I was thinking the lyric was she's flown away. It makes a little more sense with the he, but in the myth the 'into the sun' metaphor is about ambition and reaching beyond what you're capable of. Is that really the case here?

It's always possible that Eddie misunderstood the myth he was referencing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam