Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate Unemployable
5 Stars: Scared Alive 21%  21%  [ 18 ]
4 Stars: I've seen the light 33%  33%  [ 28 ]
3 Stars: out of lyrics for a clever option for 3 stars 28%  28%  [ 24 ]
2 Stars: Near to death 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
1 Stars: Here to die 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
0 Stars: Not even jesus could save this piece of crap, no matter how pimped out with gold jewelry he is. 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 83
 Post subject: Re: SOTM #120: If he can't sleep how will he ever dream....
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:53 am 
Global Moderator

ashen wrote:
The oh oh oh's are very distracting. I always think to myself "Man, Eddie feels like a woman".

I've gotten over that over time but that was my first reaction as well

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:48 am 
Got Some

This is the most played song on my entire iTunes

I reckon it has the potential to become as big a song for the band as Corduroy, in the sense that it was never a single but it's popularity makes it a live staple.

T-shirts on the way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:32 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

OmegaprimeVKM wrote:

I reckon it has the potential to become as big a song for the band as Corduroy, in the sense that it was never a single but it's popularity makes it a live staple.

I can't really see that happening. On the back fo the Avocado tour it wasn't played as a staple like say Severed Hand (another Avocado song that wasn't a single) was.

I think 3.5 stars is about fair, i went for 3.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

iceagecoming wrote:
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:

I can't really see that happening. On the back fo the Avocado tour it wasn't played as a staple like say Severed Hand (another Avocado song that wasn't a single) was.

only played twice last year too.

as far as Avocado is concerned, there's only been really 1 single: WWS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:08 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

Pegasus wrote:
iceagecoming wrote:
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:

only played twice last year too.

as far as Avocado is concerned, there's only been really 1 single: WWS

Life Wasted too, that one was actually more promoted that WWS.

as for Unemployable, i don't really care for it and i strongly disagree this song will ever become a staple a la Corduroy. This seems like a Cropduster type song, meaning that it's only played on the tour of they year the album came out.

2 stars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:42 pm 
Got Some

stip wrote:
ashen wrote:
The oh oh oh's are very distracting. I always think to myself "Man, Eddie feels like a woman".

I've gotten over that over time but that was my first reaction as well

My mind is still blown that people jump that one. I thought more of Bruce's na-na-na's in Janey Don't You Lose Heart...adding a catchy element to a story song without adding to the lyrical content.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:59 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I hate this song.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:09 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Here I was going to try and write something out to explain my vote, but this will do just fine:

Angus wrote:
I hate this song.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:14 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

OmegaprimeVKM wrote:

what popularity?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:53 pm 
Master of Meh

Wow, I guess this one can be chalked up as another "Pearl Jam song everyone hates except spenno who loves it" (refer: Evacuation, Help Help, Cropduster, Ghost etc.).

Honestly, I'm not doing this purpose...

Last edited by spenno on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:56 pm 
AnalLog

Angus wrote:
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:

what popularity?

have u seen a crowd react to corduroy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:57 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

warehouse wrote:
Angus wrote:
OmegaprimeVKM wrote:

what popularity?

have u seen a crowd react to corduroy?

yes, , but I thought our friend was referring to a certain popularity of Unemployabe may have.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:09 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

Angus, is there a single song you like on S/T?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:24 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I'm one of the people who gave 5 stars. It's a weird song, but I think that's what makes me like it so much. The obvious 'Driver's Seat' start is distracting, but it suits the song, making it another car song, in a way :roll:. The only disadvantage of that is that I keep singing it in the mix instead of just the Pearl Jam song.
The image is built within the first lines already, and that gives it a big Bruce Springsteen 'working class' feel. Injustice, anger, disappointment, faith, aggression, despair. Great lyrics!
The contrast with the music is striking because that's a very good singalong song, with the ohoh's. It makes me happy instead of the sad content. But the way some of those lyrics are sung makes it fit again, and you can see that man sit on his bed, worrying about the bills and his family and life, or yourself. When I just got to know the song it made me cry once. I've been 'thrown away' because of someone elses whimps as well, in another job. It really sucks to be ruined by other people who happen to be in power and like to abuse that. It's universal, not something exclusively American.
I miss one word in the lyrics and sometimes I could swear it's there. There should be an 'again' after 'how will he ever dream'.
Then there's one more strange effect this song has on me; often right after it finishes I'm stuck with Spandau Ballet's 'Only When You Leave' in my head. Something with a certain guitar sound.

groetjes,
Mirella :)

93 Rdm2x 96 D L2x Ber Gro Ams Par Zür 00 L2x D Gla Man Car Par Pin Pra Kat2x Sal Lju Ver Ber Ham Ros L 01 BSB2x Sea2x 06 D Arn Ant Bern Bol Ver Mil Tor Pis Pra Ber Vie Zag 07 L Düs Nij Wer 09 L Rdm Ber Man L 10 D Belf L Ber 12 Am2x EV:Am2x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:28 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

spenno wrote:
Wow, I guess this one can be chalked up as another "Pearl Jam song everyone hates except spenno who loves it" (refer: Evacuation, Help Help, Cropduster, Ghost etc.).

Honestly, I'm not doing this purpose...

I like all those songs, only the chorus of Evacuation is not my favorite.

groetjes,
Mirella :)

93 Rdm2x 96 D L2x Ber Gro Ams Par Zür 00 L2x D Gla Man Car Par Pin Pra Kat2x Sal Lju Ver Ber Ham Ros L 01 BSB2x Sea2x 06 D Arn Ant Bern Bol Ver Mil Tor Pis Pra Ber Vie Zag 07 L Düs Nij Wer 09 L Rdm Ber Man L 10 D Belf L Ber 12 Am2x EV:Am2x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I really like this tune a lot. It’s an example of Pearl Jam drawing on their roots, but creating something that’s very much their own. It’s got a real rockabilly sensibility, and I may be wrong, but I don’t recall them ever trying on this style before. It’s got the driving vocals in the verses that go all the way back to Carl Perkins and tunes like MATCHBOX. It’s got the melodic, catchy chorus with very pleasing harmonies. I love the drumming and the modified walking bassline that hints at old-style rockabilly without going for full-on boogie-woogie. It gives the song a modern sound.

I love the uh-oh’s in the bridges. They sound fabulous, and I’m stunned by the comparison that some people are making. That faux yodeling is a staple of rockabilly, and I’d say that here it’s more of a homage to the bridge in a song like The Band’s UP ON CRIPPLE CREEK or the chorus in John Fogerty’s BLUE BOY than a reference to Shania Twain, although I do like that song MAN!I FEEL LIKE AWOMAN, especially the dudes in the video. I’m surprised that no one has mentioned that the “Oh, Yeh’s” must be lifted from THAT DON’T IMPRESS ME MUCH.

I also love the lyrics. The storytelling is superb. The meter is a very good match for the basic percussion cadence, and for once, Ed allows some breathing room when he writes lyrics to a Matt Cameron tune. Every beat doesn’t need to have a syllable associated with it. These are song lyrics, not poetry.

For me, the weaknesses in this tune are the uninspired guitar parts. They don’t have the warmth or character of the vocals, percussion or bass. Although there is something interesting starting to happen in the second bridge that is unfortunately buried in the production. For me the lackluster guitar parts really drag the song down. 3 stars.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:04 pm 
Got Some

SLH916 wrote:
I really like this tune a lot. It’s an example of Pearl Jam drawing on their roots, but creating something that’s very much their own. It’s got a real rockabilly sensibility, and I may be wrong, but I don’t recall them ever trying on this style before. It’s got the driving vocals in the verses that go all the way back to Carl Perkins and tunes like MATCHBOX. It’s got the melodic, catchy chorus with very pleasing harmonies. I love the drumming and the modified walking bassline that hints at old-style rockabilly without going for full-on boogie-woogie. It gives the song a modern sound.

I love the uh-oh’s in the bridges. They sound fabulous, and I’m stunned by the comparison that some people are making. That faux yodeling is a staple of rockabilly, and I’d say that here it’s more of a homage to the bridge in a song like The Band’s UP ON CRIPPLE CREEK or the chorus in John Fogerty’s BLUE BOY than a reference to Shania Twain, although I do like that song MAN!I FEEL LIKE AWOMAN, especially the dudes in the video. I’m surprised that no one has mentioned that the “Oh, Yeh’s” must be lifted from THAT DON’T IMPRESS ME MUCH.

I also love the lyrics. The storytelling is superb. The meter is a very good match for the basic percussion cadence, and for once, Ed allows some breathing room when he writes lyrics to a Matt Cameron tune. Every beat doesn’t need to have a syllable associated with it. These are song lyrics, not poetry.

For me, the weaknesses in this tune are the uninspired guitar parts. They don’t have the warmth or character of the vocals, percussion or bass. Although there is something interesting starting to happen in the second bridge that is unfortunately buried in the production. For me the lackluster guitar parts really drag the song down. 3 stars.

Thirty bills unpaid! LOL that's a lot of unpaid bills.
I can just picture Ed coming up with the lyrics to this song:
"Hmmm...now let me try and relate to this guy I'm writing about.
Let me assume I'm some loser with a 'Jesus Saves' gold ring, and I
just lost my job, I wonder how many unpaid bills I would have.
Hmmmm...10?...nah it's got to be worse than that...20?...for all I know
everyone has 20 unpaid bills...how 'bout...30!!!...yeah that's it, that's the
ticket...I've got 30 unpaid bills!!"

but I wouldn't hold my breath

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:54 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Man in Black wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I've only got 15 unpaid bills. Not counting the separate components of the Dr. bills. And ferchrissakes my "Jesus Saves" ring is silver. What kind of loser wears a gold "Jesus Saves" ring?

And MiB is JESSIE'S GIRL really the 17th best song of all time? If you say it is, I take your word for it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 pm 
Got Some

SLH916 wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I've only got 15 unpaid bills. Not counting the separate components of the Dr. bills. And ferchrissakes my "Jesus Saves" ring is silver. What kind of loser wears a gold "Jesus Saves" ring?

And MiB is JESSIE'S GIRL really the 17th best song of all time? If you say it is, I take your word for it.

#38: Do You Really Want to Hurt Me

but I wouldn't hold my breath

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:05 pm 
Global Moderator

Man in Black wrote:
SLH916 wrote:

so only people in desperate financial situations are allowed to write about poverty?

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam