Rate Hard Sun
5 Stars: A masterpiece 21%  21%  [ 17 ]
4 Stars: Really good 53%  53%  [ 42 ]
3 Stars: Average 17%  17%  [ 14 ]
2 Stars: Meh 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
1 Star: Really bad 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
0 Stars: Awful, just awful 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 78
 Post subject: Re: SOTM #121: When I walk beside her I am the better man...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:37 pm 
Stone's Bitch

It's my favorite Pearl Jam-related song that's been released since Given to Fly. Ed's vocals are the main reason I am a huge PJ fan, and his voice just soars on this one. 5 stars.

and I just wanted to tell you
that the moment was beautiful
just wanted to dance to bad music
drive bad cars
watch bad tv
should have stayed for the sunset
if not for me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:45 am 
Force of Nature

this may seem weird, but there's an indie radio station i listen to here in milwaukee, 102.1, and they play this song constantly. and because of that i think i got a little burned out on the song, but i can't deny that eddie's vocals are amazing. probably a 3.5 but closer to a 3. not that it affects my rating, but i prefer no ceiling, guaranteed, and rise on into the wild.

on a side note, one thing i find fascinating is the wide range of opinions on into the wild songs. it seems like everyone has a different favorite from the album and there's no consensus on the top tier.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:52 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

sergeant wrote:
this may seem weird, but there's an indie radio station i listen to here in milwaukee, 102.1, and they play this song constantly. and because of that i think i got a little burned out on the song, but i can't deny that eddie's vocals are amazing. probably a 3.5 but closer to a 3. not that it affects my rating, but i prefer no ceiling, guaranteed, and rise on into the wild.

on a side note, one thing i find fascinating is the wide range of opinions on into the wild songs. it seems like everyone has a different favorite from the album and there's no consensus on the top tier.

You point out something that I've noticed, too. Everyone likes different songs. Everyone thinks that different songs are the best ones. It is interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:59 am 
Former PJ Drummer

SLH916 wrote:
sergeant wrote:

You point out something that I've noticed, too. Everyone likes different songs. Everyone thinks that different songs are the best ones. It is interesting.

It means it is a very good record with lots of depth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 pm 
Global Moderator

62strat wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
sergeant wrote:

It means it is a very good record with lots of depth.

I'll back that. I have strong opinions on this one, but if someone tells me they like society best I'm not gonna argue with them. It seems a reasonable choice even if it isn't mine

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:19 am 
Mike's Maniac
 WWW  Profile

First of all, bravo on the song review. I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, this is definitely not my favorite anymore.......for some reason, it kinda bothers me that the first single is a cover, like "its a good song, but eddie didnt write it, so how much credit can be given". I know thats ridiculous, his talent bring the song to life where it might not have a life with another singer.

I like Society, question though......is this really a cover, i was under the impression that Jerry (forget) wrote it with Eddie.

I would love Setting Forth if it were longer. It has such potential. Otherwise, I think Rise is my favorite now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:08 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cougar9000 wrote:
I like Society, question though......is this really a cover, i was under the impression that Jerry (forget) wrote it with Eddie.

It is an original, written for the film. Sean Penn asked Jerry Hannan to write it before Eddie became involved with ITW. The released version of the song has Eddie singing the vocals, so I think that it isn't technically a cover, just not an original composition by Eddie. Just as the Judy Garland version of OVER THE RAINBOW is the original, even though she didn't write the song.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:49 pm 
Global Moderator

the best way to show your love for into the wild is to click on the link in my sig and vote for team pearljamfan80 :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:28 pm 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

:haha:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:41 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Great tune. I agree that it goes on a little too long though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:17 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

This is one of my favorites off this album (and a superb album it is). I've always been impressed by Eddie's arrangement of the song. It's not an arrangement that extends to a change in melody or chord progression; it's incredibly similar in those ways to the original by Indio (and alot of credit for this song must be given to Gordon Peterson, who wrote the song, after all). The original vocal is not defeatist, but cautious at best; it's simply what the vocal in the original is trying to achieve, despite the additions. So Eddie makes barely any changes, but the vocal choices he makes change the chorus from something that is hopeful yet unsure to something that is triumphant in every manner percievable. The lyrics of the chours almost seem pessimistic; "there's a big hard sun, beating on all the big people, in the big hard world." Eddie emphasizes the fact that we are "big people." He makes it clear, simply through his vocal, that the realization that the lives we live are difficult and at times unbearable is a miracle in itself, and there is strength to be found in the journey, even if we are pessimistic in our search. That realization is one that I think is a constant in Pearl Jam's work, and I'm always happy that Eddie's music is there to remind me of that fact; it's a feeling that's easy to lose track of.

Of all the ITW songs, this is the one I hope makes a transition to the full band; it's practically begging for the build and cacophony that could come with the five members pressing themselves as hard as they can. Also, I'm really happy to see Corin Tucker show up and deliver an incredible harmony vocal.

Also, in regards to the chorus going on too long, I disagree. I think it's such a great melody and something so easy to sing along to, that it becomes a mantra in a sense, a foundation for a crowd to sing along to and feel a greater sense of community. Probably another reason I want to see PJ try this in an arena-size crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:20 am 
Dave A's Slave

Hard Sun drags on for a little too long IMO.

Vedder’s sticking with the underdog, McCready’s classicist rock solo, Gossard, Ament, and Abbruzzese’s solid yet organic and rootsy rhythm section. It’s earnest, it’s got tension, and that nod to classic rock. It’s Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:51 am 
Global Moderator

digster wrote:
This is one of my favorites off this album (and a superb album it is). I've always been impressed by Eddie's arrangement of the song. It's not an arrangement that extends to a change in melody or chord progression; it's incredibly similar in those ways to the original by Indio (and alot of credit for this song must be given to Gordon Peterson, who wrote the song, after all). The original vocal is not defeatist, but cautious at best; it's simply what the vocal in the original is trying to achieve, despite the additions. So Eddie makes barely any changes, but the vocal choices he makes change the chorus from something that is hopeful yet unsure to something that is triumphant in every manner percievable. The lyrics of the chours almost seem pessimistic; "there's a big hard sun, beating on all the big people, in the big hard world." Eddie emphasizes the fact that we are "big people." He makes it clear, simply through his vocal, that the realization that the lives we live are difficult and at times unbearable is a miracle in itself, and there is strength to be found in the journey, even if we are pessimistic in our search. That realization is one that I think is a constant in Pearl Jam's work, and I'm always happy that Eddie's music is there to remind me of that fact; it's a feeling that's easy to lose track of.

Of all the ITW songs, this is the one I hope makes a transition to the full band; it's practically begging for the build and cacophony that could come with the five members pressing themselves as hard as they can. Also, I'm really happy to see Corin Tucker show up and deliver an incredible harmony vocal.

Also, in regards to the chorus going on too long, I disagree. I think it's such a great melody and something so easy to sing along to, that it becomes a mantra in a sense, a foundation for a crowd to sing along to and feel a greater sense of community. Probably another reason I want to see PJ try this in an arena-size crowd.

posts like this make me sad when we disagree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:09 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:

Hopefully it's as rare an occurance as possible.

I'm trying with The Fixer; I really am. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:22 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

fucking LOVE this song

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:36 am 
Global Moderator

digster wrote:
stip wrote:

Hopefully it's as rare an occurance as possible.

I'm trying with The Fixer; I really am. :D

:lol:

no worries. I get people not liking The Fixer. What I don't understand is the hate. Never in a million years would I have imagined a song like that capable of stirring so much vitriol in the people who don't like

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:37 am 
Global Moderator

cutuphalfdead wrote:
fucking LOVE this song

have you heard the instrumental?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:25 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
fucking LOVE this song

have you heard the instrumental?

Not only have I heard it, but I play it on the radio often.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:31 am 
On the bright side

I agree with the review. When I heard the EV version, I then listened to Indio's version. The original lacked something, but EV's vocals gave it what it needed. 5 stars, love this one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:37 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Still wondering why PJ haven't played this yet, it would work really well anywhere in the encores. Stone playing acoustic, Ed doubling on electric, Mike using the e-bow over the verses. The outro would be great too, Matt could go crazy and Mike could do his big wanky solos.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam