Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:51 am
Posts: 43609
Location: My city smells like Cheerios
Gender: Male
leopold wrote:
Mirella wrote:
leopold wrote:
To be brutally honest - It isn't good. In fact I'm not sure I'll listen to it again considering how good the new Metallica album is. It is way worse than Bayleaf and Jeff just can't sing - yes he is more in tune this time but he is not a singer. One of the songs sounds almost identical to God's Dice and others are unremarkable. This is definitely a 'fan only' record as there are plenty of better albums to spend your money on.


It's not my best record of the year but to say it isn't good depends on your taste. For instance, I love Bayleaf and I don't like Metallica's new one that much. It's good, but I happen to like shorter songs and less 'more of the same'. For someone who is not a singer Jeff does it okay, in my opinion. Musically this is a diverse and interesting album. I've only listened twice but I'm not throwing the album away yet :P.

groetjes,
Mirella :)


I'm sorry but the 'taste card' can't be played ad infinitum.


Yes it can and it should be. Music is usually 90% subjective and about 10% objective

_________________
"No matter how hard you kill Jesus, he would always just come back and hit you twice as hard."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:27 pm 
Offline
Johnny Guitar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:13 pm
Posts: 256
Location: Arctic Canada
i know its a cliche but on my first listen so so, after a few more and days, i think its a godsend. definatley hope for another, maybe with more pearl jam guest slots and instrumental stuff rather than the singer/songwriter thing, but I think it actually works. the only cloud in the sky is classic ament,


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
Whale&Wasp wrote:
i know its a cliche but on my first listen so so, after a few more and days, i think its a godsend. definatley hope for another, maybe with more pearl jam guest slots and instrumental stuff rather than the singer/songwriter thing, but I think it actually works. the only cloud in the sky is classic ament,

Are you fucking serious?

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:04 pm 
Offline
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:32 am
Posts: 98
Does anyone watch Mayne Street on espn.com? I'm 99% positive they use "Just Like That" from this album as the theme song


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:58 pm 
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:12 am
Posts: 3783
After a few months of occasional listens...I was a little harsh in earlier reviews. It isn't good, but it's not as bad as I previously thought and some songs are actually listenable.

It's nowhere near anything else that any other PJ member has done, but it's not terrible.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 35180
Location: Brasil
Gender: Male
ill pass this one

_________________
need you, dream you, find you, taste you, fuck you, use you, scar you, break you, lose me, hate me, smash me, erase me, kill me....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:28 pm
Posts: 4597
Location: meh
it's certainly not memorable, it's an album you put on while walking to work, riding the train, etc.

_________________
I'm annoyed at stuff


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:11 pm
Posts: 904
Location: London, England
mecca2687 wrote:
leopold wrote:
Mirella wrote:
leopold wrote:
To be brutally honest - It isn't good. In fact I'm not sure I'll listen to it again considering how good the new Metallica album is. It is way worse than Bayleaf and Jeff just can't sing - yes he is more in tune this time but he is not a singer. One of the songs sounds almost identical to God's Dice and others are unremarkable. This is definitely a 'fan only' record as there are plenty of better albums to spend your money on.


It's not my best record of the year but to say it isn't good depends on your taste. For instance, I love Bayleaf and I don't like Metallica's new one that much. It's good, but I happen to like shorter songs and less 'more of the same'. For someone who is not a singer Jeff does it okay, in my opinion. Musically this is a diverse and interesting album. I've only listened twice but I'm not throwing the album away yet :P.

groetjes,
Mirella :)


I'm sorry but the 'taste card' can't be played ad infinitum.


Yes it can and it should be. Music is usually 90% subjective and about 10% objective


The only reason why this 'album' made it onto a digitally pressed disc is because the person who did it has sold 20 million records in another band - it is not a good album. Unless you think that myspace is actually a good place to discover new talent, then most of the music you listen to has been objectively filtered. As Oscar Wilde said: 'Most people are other people' or in this case 'Most people's music tastes are other people's music tastes'.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Father Bitch
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:20 am
Posts: 5198
Location: Connecticut
Gender: Male
leopold wrote:
The only reason why this 'album' made it onto a digitally pressed disc is because the person who did it has sold 20 million records in another band - it is not a good album.


The fact that Jeff is a member of Pearl Jam certainly gives him more exposure, but that doesn't mean the disc wouldn't otherwise exist. Some people think it's good. Personally, I think it's ok. Better than I thought it'd be, but honestly I haven't really given it much time.

Quote:
Unless you think that myspace is actually a good place to discover new talent, then most of the music you listen to has been objectively filtered


By whom?

_________________
...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Coast to Coast
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:21 am
Posts: 23078
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Gender: Male
leopold wrote:
mecca2687 wrote:
leopold wrote:
Mirella wrote:
leopold wrote:
To be brutally honest - It isn't good. In fact I'm not sure I'll listen to it again considering how good the new Metallica album is. It is way worse than Bayleaf and Jeff just can't sing - yes he is more in tune this time but he is not a singer. One of the songs sounds almost identical to God's Dice and others are unremarkable. This is definitely a 'fan only' record as there are plenty of better albums to spend your money on.


It's not my best record of the year but to say it isn't good depends on your taste. For instance, I love Bayleaf and I don't like Metallica's new one that much. It's good, but I happen to like shorter songs and less 'more of the same'. For someone who is not a singer Jeff does it okay, in my opinion. Musically this is a diverse and interesting album. I've only listened twice but I'm not throwing the album away yet :P.

groetjes,
Mirella :)


I'm sorry but the 'taste card' can't be played ad infinitum.


Yes it can and it should be. Music is usually 90% subjective and about 10% objective


The only reason why this 'album' made it onto a digitally pressed disc is because the person who did it has sold 20 million records in another band - it is not a good album. Unless you think that myspace is actually a good place to discover new talent, then most of the music you listen to has been objectively filtered. As Oscar Wilde said: 'Most people are other people' or in this case 'Most people's music tastes are other people's music tastes'.



:haha:

_________________
For more insulated and ill-informed opinions, click here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:31 pm 
Offline
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:23 am
Posts: 4187
im having a Jeff Ament oriented week, with RNDM and WMYB in my regular playlist.
After listening to Ed´s show last night, this one popped out after a long time.

Just like that is awesome.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:14 am