Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:05 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

leopold wrote:
Mirella wrote:
leopold wrote:
To be brutally honest - It isn't good. In fact I'm not sure I'll listen to it again considering how good the new Metallica album is. It is way worse than Bayleaf and Jeff just can't sing - yes he is more in tune this time but he is not a singer. One of the songs sounds almost identical to God's Dice and others are unremarkable. This is definitely a 'fan only' record as there are plenty of better albums to spend your money on.

It's not my best record of the year but to say it isn't good depends on your taste. For instance, I love Bayleaf and I don't like Metallica's new one that much. It's good, but I happen to like shorter songs and less 'more of the same'. For someone who is not a singer Jeff does it okay, in my opinion. Musically this is a diverse and interesting album. I've only listened twice but I'm not throwing the album away yet :P.

groetjes,
Mirella :)

I'm sorry but the 'taste card' can't be played ad infinitum.

Yes it can and it should be. Music is usually 90% subjective and about 10% objective

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:27 pm 
Johnny Guitar

i know its a cliche but on my first listen so so, after a few more and days, i think its a godsend. definatley hope for another, maybe with more pearl jam guest slots and instrumental stuff rather than the singer/songwriter thing, but I think it actually works. the only cloud in the sky is classic ament,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:12 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Whale&Wasp wrote:
i know its a cliche but on my first listen so so, after a few more and days, i think its a godsend. definatley hope for another, maybe with more pearl jam guest slots and instrumental stuff rather than the singer/songwriter thing, but I think it actually works. the only cloud in the sky is classic ament,

Are you fucking serious?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:04 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Does anyone watch Mayne Street on espn.com? I'm 99% positive they use "Just Like That" from this album as the theme song

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:58 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

After a few months of occasional listens...I was a little harsh in earlier reviews. It isn't good, but it's not as bad as I previously thought and some songs are actually listenable.

It's nowhere near anything else that any other PJ member has done, but it's not terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

ill pass this one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:22 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

it's certainly not memorable, it's an album you put on while walking to work, riding the train, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:32 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

mecca2687 wrote:
leopold wrote:
Mirella wrote:
leopold wrote:
To be brutally honest - It isn't good. In fact I'm not sure I'll listen to it again considering how good the new Metallica album is. It is way worse than Bayleaf and Jeff just can't sing - yes he is more in tune this time but he is not a singer. One of the songs sounds almost identical to God's Dice and others are unremarkable. This is definitely a 'fan only' record as there are plenty of better albums to spend your money on.

It's not my best record of the year but to say it isn't good depends on your taste. For instance, I love Bayleaf and I don't like Metallica's new one that much. It's good, but I happen to like shorter songs and less 'more of the same'. For someone who is not a singer Jeff does it okay, in my opinion. Musically this is a diverse and interesting album. I've only listened twice but I'm not throwing the album away yet :P.

groetjes,

Yes it can and it should be. Music is usually 90% subjective and about 10% objective

The only reason why this 'album' made it onto a digitally pressed disc is because the person who did it has sold 20 million records in another band - it is not a good album. Unless you think that myspace is actually a good place to discover new talent, then most of the music you listen to has been objectively filtered. As Oscar Wilde said: 'Most people are other people' or in this case 'Most people's music tastes are other people's music tastes'.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:26 pm 
Father Bitch

leopold wrote:
The only reason why this 'album' made it onto a digitally pressed disc is because the person who did it has sold 20 million records in another band - it is not a good album.

The fact that Jeff is a member of Pearl Jam certainly gives him more exposure, but that doesn't mean the disc wouldn't otherwise exist. Some people think it's good. Personally, I think it's ok. Better than I thought it'd be, but honestly I haven't really given it much time.

Quote:
Unless you think that myspace is actually a good place to discover new talent, then most of the music you listen to has been objectively filtered

By whom?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:34 pm 
Coast to Coast

leopold wrote:
mecca2687 wrote:
leopold wrote:
Mirella wrote:
leopold wrote:

groetjes,

The only reason why this 'album' made it onto a digitally pressed disc is because the person who did it has sold 20 million records in another band - it is not a good album. Unless you think that myspace is actually a good place to discover new talent, then most of the music you listen to has been objectively filtered. As Oscar Wilde said: 'Most people are other people' or in this case 'Most people's music tastes are other people's music tastes'.

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:31 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

im having a Jeff Ament oriented week, with RNDM and WMYB in my regular playlist.
After listening to Ed´s show last night, this one popped out after a long time.

Just like that is awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam