Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jeff Ament - Tone
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:16 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Beavis: Uhhhhh... what the hell is this?
Butthead: Excuse me sir, where's your backstage pass?
Beavis: Butthead change it, change it NOW
Butthead: This is cool, it's like he's been in the best band ever for 20 years and hasn't heard a goddamn thing.
Beavis: Ahhgghghhgh.... BOOM(head exploding)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

joostone wrote:
I agree with what has been said, it's not mindblowing. But it's a fun record, it's just somethin Jeff released while the band is on hiatus.

The rockers sound a bit like God's Dice then there's atmospheric stuff like Army Reserve and there's one lowlight kinda ballad but they all have Sweet Lew vocals, that pretty much sums it up :).

Overall, I thought it was better than I expected (didn't expect much) and it does have some suprises, the song 'relapse' start with a haunting mood and melody and a of sudden there's a break with multi-layered vocals by Jeff! (who's idea was it to add to layered vocals on Army Reserve, well I think we have an answer here ;) ). The record itself has a nice flow, it's start with some rockers in which Jeff sometimes sounds like Dave Grohl (who can't really sing either 8) ).
Then there's the acoustic track which I really like, again great backing vocals all by jeff, one more straight forward rocker 'the forest'. Then the last four songs are the more atmospheric ones. One has vocals by Doug Pinnick (it doesn't really fit the record would have been better with jeff vocals I guess).
So far, it does get better on every spin, so check it out!

Since this is mostly released through the TenClub it is my hope that this 'monkeywrench' label will be used more often. Maybe more solo releases? More jazzy Matt stuff and more Stoney country or Brad stuff. Who needs labels nowadays ;). Just some appetizers for the band and the fans while we are all waiting for that phonecall from eddie 'hey let's make another record now'.

I'd love to hear it but it sounds kind of crap by the way people explain it. :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:33 am 
Global Moderator

Dark Helmet wrote:
Beavis: Uhhhhh... what the hell is this?
Butthead: Excuse me sir, where's your backstage pass?
Beavis: Butthead change it, change it NOW
Butthead: This is cool, it's like he's been in the best band ever for 20 years and hasn't heard a goddamn thing.
Beavis: Ahhgghghhgh.... BOOM(head exploding)

:lol:

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:21 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Fortuna69 wrote:
joostone wrote:
I agree with what has been said, it's not mindblowing. But it's a fun record, it's just somethin Jeff released while the band is on hiatus.

The rockers sound a bit like God's Dice then there's atmospheric stuff like Army Reserve and there's one lowlight kinda ballad but they all have Sweet Lew vocals, that pretty much sums it up :).

Overall, I thought it was better than I expected (didn't expect much) and it does have some suprises, the song 'relapse' start with a haunting mood and melody and a of sudden there's a break with multi-layered vocals by Jeff! (who's idea was it to add to layered vocals on Army Reserve, well I think we have an answer here ;) ). The record itself has a nice flow, it's start with some rockers in which Jeff sometimes sounds like Dave Grohl (who can't really sing either 8) ).
Then there's the acoustic track which I really like, again great backing vocals all by jeff, one more straight forward rocker 'the forest'. Then the last four songs are the more atmospheric ones. One has vocals by Doug Pinnick (it doesn't really fit the record would have been better with jeff vocals I guess).

Since this is mostly released through the TenClub it is my hope that this 'monkeywrench' label will be used more often. Maybe more solo releases? More jazzy Matt stuff and more Stoney country or Brad stuff. Who needs labels nowadays ;). Just some appetizers for the band and the fans while we are all waiting for that phonecall from eddie 'hey let's make another record now'.

To be brutally honest - It isn't good. In fact I'm not sure I'll listen to it again considering how good the new Metallica album is. It is way worse than Bayleaf and Jeff just can't sing - yes he is more in tune this time but he is not a singer. One of the songs sounds almost identical to God's Dice and others are unremarkable. This is definitely a 'fan only' record as there are plenty of better albums to spend your money on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:40 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

leopold wrote:
Fortuna69 wrote:
joostone wrote:

To be brutally honest - It isn't good. In fact I'm not sure I'll listen to it again considering how good the new Metallica album is. It is way worse than Bayleaf and Jeff just can't sing - yes he is more in tune this time but he is not a singer. One of the songs sounds almost identical to God's Dice and others are unremarkable. This is definitely a 'fan only' record as there are plenty of better albums to spend your money on.

yea thats cool, but oncve you said metallica i kind of stopped reading :D :wave:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:08 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

62strat wrote:
leopold wrote:
Fortuna69 wrote:
joostone wrote:

yea thats cool, but oncve you said metallica i kind of stopped reading :D :wave:

Your loss - it is amazingly good - regardless of what you think of the band themselves. And believe me I am not really a fan of theirs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:13 pm 
Mike's Maniac

leopold wrote:
62strat wrote:
leopold wrote:
Fortuna69 wrote:
joostone wrote:

Your loss - it is amazingly good - regardless of what you think of the band themselves. And believe me I am not really a fan of theirs.

yes, honestly, the "hype" surrounding death magnetic is very, very much deserved...which is not something that can be said a lot about new music being put out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:09 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

leopold wrote:

Pretty much sums it for me. It just pretty much did nothing for me.

http://www.last.fm/user/csibrandon/

RIP: Evil Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:06 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Does Relapse sound like a Tool song? The chorus sounds really familiar, but I can't place it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:20 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
http://www.myspace.com/jeffamentpj

Wow, I just listened to about 30 seconds of "The Forest." That's MUCH better than I ever expected this to sound.

Who played what on it? This isn't Jeff as a one-man band is it?

Is anyone else amused that Jeff had to go with jeffamentpj because someone had already scoped out myspace.com/jeffament/ and made a page for him?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:03 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

B wrote:
Is anyone else amused that Jeff had to go with jeffamentpj because someone had already scoped out myspace.com/jeffament/ and made a page for him?

I took this (quoted from the MySpace) as meaning a fan created the page (ie. it's not official):
"This is a FAN PAGE dedicated to the man- Jeff Ament..."

But maybe it is official and they mean it's a page FOR fans.
:?:

Shawn Smith: 1 in 2008

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:27 am 
Johnny Guitar

I wasn't too impressed. Didn't expect much. Liked a couple of the tunes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:35 am 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

I won't be buying this after listening to a few clips. Too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:49 am 
Coast to Coast

So "The Forest" is that song that plays in the background in Immagine when Jeff goes skating?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:54 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

leopold wrote:

It's not my best record of the year but to say it isn't good depends on your taste. For instance, I love Bayleaf and I don't like Metallica's new one that much. It's good, but I happen to like shorter songs and less 'more of the same'. For someone who is not a singer Jeff does it okay, in my opinion. Musically this is a diverse and interesting album. I've only listened twice but I'm not throwing the album away yet :P.

groetjes,
Mirella :)

93 Rdm2x 96 D L2x Ber Gro Ams Par Zür 00 L2x D Gla Man Car Par Pin Pra Kat2x Sal Lju Ver Ber Ham Ros L 01 BSB2x Sea2x 06 D Arn Ant Bern Bol Ver Mil Tor Pis Pra Ber Vie Zag 07 L Düs Nij Wer 09 L Rdm Ber Man L 10 D Belf L Ber 12 Am2x EV:Am2x

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 pm 
Stone's Bitch

I still haven't received mine in Massachusetts. When should I e-mail the 10C?

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:51 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Just got mine yesterday in PA (with pick...no cut envelope)

Overall, disappointing. If I was in Jeff' apartment and found these songs on a tape he made, then I'd understand. But to actually produce and release this kind of music is near embarrassing.

Sometimes we think some Pearl Jam songs seem "unfinished" or need more work...well if those songs are 1/2 finished, Jeff's are 1/4 finished. It's an unimpressive collection of short songs with equally embarrassing lyrics.

Bayleaf is so ridiculously better than Jeff's album-- it's quite astounding. Then again, I was never a big fan of the Jeff's Pj songs anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:25 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

We're still waiting for it in Europe. Looks like it might be one of those LP's I put on the iPod and then never listen to. :roll:

Shawn Smith: 1 in 2008

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:08 pm 
Poney Girl

I still listen to this, wonders when I'll get a clue. :-?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:53 pm 
Unthought Known

"The Forrest" trumps anything that was put out on Bayleaf.

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam