Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 173  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam Twenty, Cameron Crowe Documentary (2011)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:27 pm 
Coast to Coast

evenslow wrote:
you guys are such an easy mark.

some random guy with an incredibly specific viewpoint about what seattle music is/should be makes a comment about how bruce fucking fairweather needs to be in the PJ20 doc and you guys melt with stars in your eyes - "this guy is so on the mark!"

that guy was just happy he was able to find use for his most recent wikipedia search for green river.

he could not be further from the mark. he doesn't know where the mark is. out of all the things omitted from this documentary, bruce fucking fairweather comes in at #1,753 with a bullet. i think i'd rather hear from adam sandler about how he put together his genius pj/operaman bit. then i'd cut my ears off when they got to the hallowed bruce fucking fairweather interview.

get a grip. at a certain point, you're looking for any excuse to hate. there are plenty of reasons to find this doc flawed. the omission of the almighty bruce fucking fairweather is not one of them.

I think the Bruce Fairweather thing is just a small example of how myopic and revisionist a paean to Pearl Jam this "documentary" really is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:32 pm 
Stone's Bitch

theplatypus wrote:
evenslow wrote:
you guys are such an easy mark.

some random guy with an incredibly specific viewpoint about what seattle music is/should be makes a comment about how bruce fucking fairweather needs to be in the PJ20 doc and you guys melt with stars in your eyes - "this guy is so on the mark!"

that guy was just happy he was able to find use for his most recent wikipedia search for green river.

he could not be further from the mark. he doesn't know where the mark is. out of all the things omitted from this documentary, bruce fucking fairweather comes in at #1,753 with a bullet. i think i'd rather hear from adam sandler about how he put together his genius pj/operaman bit. then i'd cut my ears off when they got to the hallowed bruce fucking fairweather interview.

get a grip. at a certain point, you're looking for any excuse to hate. there are plenty of reasons to find this doc flawed. the omission of the almighty bruce fucking fairweather is not one of them.

I think the Bruce Fairweather thing is just a small example of how myopic and revisionist a paean to Pearl Jam this "documentary" really is.

no. it really isn't.

it's the dumbest thing i've heard on a message board in awhile, which you all know is saying something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:35 pm 
Coast to Coast

I mean, if we're still talking about that particular post, that guy was basing his comments on the first 20 minutes of the movie, and also knows Bruce Fairweather personally. I think his comment makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:39 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

now Jorge that is probably the most moronic thing i've read on all the internets since 1983.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:41 pm 
Stone's Bitch

theplatypus wrote:
I mean, if we're still talking about that particular post, that guy was basing his comments on the first 20 minutes of the movie, and also knows Bruce Fairweather personally. I think his comment makes sense.

your argument is getting slowly worse. b/c he knew bruce fairweather personally, he deserves to be in the movie?

what if i told you i knew mark arm personally? okay, let's go ahead and say that. i know mark arm. here's my take on the pj20 doc:

man, mark arm shoulda at least been interviewed for this thing. he's a huge part of the seattle story. plus, i know him.

and thanks for reminding me about the "i just happened to watch 20 minutes of this thing over lunch" comment. thank god we all know he doesn't take this movie too seriously straight off the top. he might lose cool points on the albini board.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:42 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Mastaflatch is one of the best posters we've got.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:43 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

evenslow is totally killin it right now though

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:44 pm 
statistically insignificant

this thread is really heating up

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:50 pm 
The Snowboy

mastaflatch wrote:
now Jorge that is probably the most moronic thing i've read on all the internets since 1983.

The day the Joy Division music died.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:54 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Love will tear us apart...again...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:55 pm 
Coast to Coast

evenslow wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

your argument is getting slowly worse. b/c he knew bruce fairweather personally, he deserves to be in the movie?

Huh? No. "My argument" doesn't really exist. I'm only providing context.
You said
evenslow wrote:

Well, of course he would notice if he knows the man. Does this somehow invalidate the rest of his argument?

dude from message board wrote:
So far this doc would have me believe that Pearl Jam were a four piece with Some Dude Liberally Using a China Type Cymbal Until Matt Cameron Joined on drums. Even if he's not in the band anymore it's kinda important that he was the drummer on one of the best selling albums of that era. Maybe you could, you know, mention his name.

Is this not fair?

I'll chip away at the rest of this over my next three or four lunch breaks. So far it seems to be a "history is written by the victors" piece. I thought it was especially funny that they had so much footage of their early shows, and that there was almost no time between them forming and being huge. I think they were primed for fame. I don't hold that against them at all, but what usually makes these things great is the "struggling against all odds" story. While they did experience tragedies as another band, the story of Pearl Jam seems to be the story of going ahead and getting to getting famous because everybody knew it was going to happen.

Or this?

This movie fails on a number of levels but appeals to the stouthearted Pearl Jam fan in all of us. I think this particular poster gave his honest opinion on the first 20 minutes and, being so removed from the PJ fanboy community I'm so deeply steeped in, was able to succinctly identify a number of problems that it took me-- someone who posts in a PJ message board-- two full viewings to really notice. You're zeroing in on the Bruce Fairweather thing as if it's the only thing he talked about. But it's not. There's a lot of posts in that silly thread to take issue with. This one's a little too reasonable and informed.

Here, aim your fanboy rage at this other one:
El Protoolio wrote:
I never knew anyone in my very discerning and picky circle of friends and music fanatics who liked this band. No one liked this band. No one with any taste or artistic sense or self awareness thought this was a good band. No one had any respect for this band, or any sympathy, or saw them as comrades or equals in any way. They were the enemy of all that was good and interesting about the music of that time. They were up there with Rage Against The Machine and Nine Inch Nails as god awful corporate crap that the majors were trying to spoon feed us now that they knew we liked "punk" music. Fuck this band, their members and every one who likes them or supported them or lent them a hand so that they could get to where they are today. There must be a special place in hell for people like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:00 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

stouthearted... :thumbsup:

pj fans are also very myopic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:05 pm 
Global Moderator

if the critique is that it would have been fun and interesting to hear from other people about the band i totally agree. I would have chopped some live footage to make space for that, and it could have easily fit into the love in that the movie was.

I also would have liked to hear from Adam Sandler. That operaman bit was really iconic.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:15 pm 
On the bright side

El Protoolio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:18 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

what usually makes these things great is the "struggling against all odds" story. While they did experience tragedies as another band, the story of Pearl Jam seems to be the story of going ahead and getting to getting famous because everybody knew it was going to happen.

I guess I feel like this is what I take exception to--not just in this guy's reaction, but in the general backlash towards the film. I don't care about the "struggling against all odds" story. I feel like I've heard the "struggling against all odds" story so many times I can call it before I hear it. Maybe that's what the film needs to succeed outside the Pearl Jam fanbase, but I don't get behind the idea that you need a bunch of drama, however well recanted, and contention to enjoy a band's story.

(Of course, Pearl Jam had some major tragedy as a band, too--though it wasn't in the first 20 minutes.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:19 pm 
Stone's Bitch

whenever you have to tie yourself into knots defending the bruce fairweather principle, it's probably not worth it.

and thanks to the almighty "chud" for another inane comment that doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. keep that post count rising!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:21 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

evenslow wrote:

and thanks to the almighty "chud" for another inane comment that doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. keep that post count rising!

hey leave chud alone - he's one of the best posters we've got!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:24 pm 
Coast to Coast

evenslow wrote:

Is this too long to make into a custom rank? 'Cause it should be one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:26 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

theplatypus wrote:
evenslow wrote:

Is this too long to make into a custom rank? 'Cause it should be one.

Guy...do you like Bon Iver/Justin Vernon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:27 pm 
Coast to Coast

I sure do, guy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 173  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam