Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 173  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam Twenty, Cameron Crowe Documentary (2011)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:13 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Cameron Crowe wrote:
We tried to present an emotional scrapbook of what it felt like to be a band member on this 20-year journey.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 484&type=1

Y'know, it occurs to me that the people most dissatisfied with this film, are those who expected something other than the stated goal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:29 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I just wish Crowe wasn't so into himself in terms of the role he assumes he has in their history.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:45 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
I just wish Crowe wasn't so into himself in terms of the role he assumes he has in their history.

I don't know that it's a flawed assumption. The band has certainly confirmed his honored status.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:47 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Cameron Crowe making a movie about Pearl Jam is like any one of us writing an album review. It's going to be full of bullshit fanboi bias.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:47 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

But he involved himself far too much in the story. To its detriment i think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:58 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Cameron Crowe making a movie about Pearl Jam is like any one of us writing an album review. It's going to be full of bullshit fanboi bias.

except we are fans and he is their friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:59 pm 
AnalLog

dimejinky99 wrote:
But he involved himself far too much in the story. To its detriment i think.

i kinda agree, but had a feeling he was going to be part of the story, so i sorta expected it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:13 am 
Unthought Known

The film is good, could of it been better, yep. Could it of been worse, yep. It could of been more easily the latter than the former.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:59 pm 
Global Moderator

cutuphalfdead wrote:

If the goal is to chart what it was like to be in the band and describe the journey in part from their perspective then that insider connection is helpful. Think of it like this. I write those absurdly long walk throughs for this website, and even my album reviews are long. If you just want the experience of the album as an album you are better off not going to me since i'm going to bring all the baggage of the back catalog with me. However, if you really want to understand a record in the context of pearl jam's career arc you are probably better off reading one of mine (or another long post by most people reading this) than going to Rolling Stone or All Music or Pitchfork or whoever. And that is more perspective than bias.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:02 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

If the goal is to chart what it was like to be in the band and describe the journey in part from their perspective then that insider connection is helpful. Think of it like this. I write those absurdly long walk throughs for this website, and even my album reviews are long. If you just want the experience of the album as an album you are better off not going to me since i'm going to bring all the baggage of the back catalog with me. However, if you really want to understand a record in the context of pearl jam's career arc you are probably better off reading one of mine (or another long post by most people reading this) than going to Rolling Stone or All Music or Pitchfork or whoever. And that is more perspective than bias.

At least you'll review Binaural.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:11 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Some Albinism disciples take their indie sharpened axes to PJ20 and all involved. Fun read

http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/v ... =6&t=58127

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:29 pm 
Master of Meh

dimejinky99 wrote:
Some Albinism disciples take their indie sharpened axes to PJ20 and all involved. Fun read

Some excellent posts in there, this one in particular:

Ernest wrote:
I'm watching the documentary now, it's on youtube, and I've never seen a music documentary so disinterested with music. Cameron Crowe is more concerned with the mythos of the band, and Eddie Vedder, than anything to do with the music. The music is there to frame their need for success. It's mind boggling.

The Pearl Jam guys are that bland. It might not be them, actually, but between what Crowe is doing, and the things the guys say, they come off like they're just talking about transistor radios, or what they had for lunch. It's so self satisfying you forget the mastermind behind it is a guy not in Pearl Jam, but he's willingly masturbating them.

Guy nailed it with his first sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:32 pm 
Unthought Known

spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Some excellent posts in there, this one in particular:

Ernest wrote:
I'm watching the documentary now, it's on youtube, and I've never seen a music documentary so disinterested with music. Cameron Crowe is more concerned with the mythos of the band, and Eddie Vedder, than anything to do with the music. The music is there to frame their need for success. It's mind boggling.

The Pearl Jam guys are that bland. It might not be them, actually, but between what Crowe is doing, and the things the guys say, they come off like they're just talking about transistor radios, or what they had for lunch. It's so self satisfying you forget the mastermind behind it is a guy not in Pearl Jam, but he's willingly masturbating them.

Guy nailed it with his first sentence.

they do come off as incredibly bland.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:35 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Reading through some other posts this crowd do have it in for Eddie. though a lot of the criticism of te film(leaving aside it's personalities) is spot on.

I also loved they guy saying why should aeddie feel bad about being a corporate cock monster when Nirvana was an even bigger one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:38 pm 
Global Moderator

they really seemed to enjoy it.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:42 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I think there are some closet cases on that thread. And i dont mean the few diplomatic 'hey they had a good middle period' posters.

I'll never understand indie folks and all their rules about what's cool and what isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:43 pm 
Coast to Coast

DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote:
They still assume they are a relevant, forward thinking rock band, and don't seem to want to realize that their concert audience are nothing more than gen x-ers reliving their glory days like a crowd ten years older does at a reunited Poison tour.

stip wrote:
spenno wrote:
Is there a point to playing live shows if there's no new material to play and they're not doing anything very different than they have countless times before (eg: a small theatre tour, an acoustic tour, etc.)?

Yes. Being there is an amazing experience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:49 pm 
Master of Meh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Speak of the devil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:55 pm 
Coast to Coast

Quote:
Because of this thread I watched about 20 minutes of this over my lunch break. I made it to the "have become famous" part and so far this is what I've noticed:

In Green River and Mother Love Bone, Bruce Fairweather was an essential member. It's my understanding that he would have been "guitar hero #2" of the Pearl Jam if he had shown interest in joining, but didn't, so McCreedy was called. The only reason I know this is because Bruce lived here for awhile, was a great guy, and we became friends. He never bragged on it. In fact, I didn't even know he was *that* Bruce until I knew him for a bit. Maybe he didn't want to be interviewed for this doc, but he was essential to them becoming what they became. A mention wouldn't have only been nice, but relevant.

Same with "session drummer looking dude with the soul patch."
So far this doc would have me believe that Pearl Jam were a four piece with Some Dude Liberally Using a China Type Cymbal Until Matt Cameron Joined on drums. Even if he's not in the band anymore it's kinda important that he was the drummer on one of the best selling albums of that era. Maybe you could, you know, mention his name.

I also thought it was funny that all of the intro music was a "scanning the dial" melange of Seattle bands - The Kingsmen, Heart, Hendrix, and then, inexplicably, you hear Breadcrumb Trail to take us into the film. Was that so we would associate them with indie cred bands? Plenty of those in the Pacific Northwest, so why use Slint? It just seemed weird. It was particularly funny because I had just seen Brian Pauslon not three minutes earlier.

I'll chip away at the rest of this over my next three or four lunch breaks. So far it seems to be a "history is written by the victors" piece. I thought it was especially funny that they had so much footage of their early shows, and that there was almost no time between them forming and being huge. I think they were primed for fame. I don't hold that against them at all, but what usually makes these things great is the "struggling against all odds" story. While they did experience tragedies as another band, the story of Pearl Jam seems to be the story of going ahead and getting to getting famous because everybody knew it was going to happen.

I have no problem with Cameron Crowe when he's good. I liked Almost Famous and Fast Times was great. Plus he gets to hang out with Nancy Wilson all of the time.
This film just seems to be "meh."

Some of the people in that thread are over-the-top hateful, but this guy is 100% right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3453 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 173  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam